Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (121 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I don't think you're getting the point. We are not discussing his defensive aspect quality. The man as a defender is simply one of the best in t he world. But there are more things than defending.

Just like Asif said, he has to use his heads or else he wont improve. He's a terrible passer and keeps making bad decisions, the way he clears the ball is unacceptable. Too many times they could have gone into counterattacks but Chiellini instead chooses to clear the ball really bad.

He hesitates a lot, hesitating the most dangerous thing a defender can have when he's got a ball at his feet.

Too many things he needs to work on, we are disucssing his defending ability it's what he's doing with the ball on his feet and how he's clearing the ball.

Buy on AliExpress.com

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
But i think he has a lot to learn before getting the "good defender" bit right as well. Miss judging balls, bad positioning, covering are some of the few aspects he needs to improve on.

Then comes the bit you bring up Rab about his use of the ball which is simply atrocious at times. I can live with him being a bad passer but the hesitation cannot be an aspect of his game and cannot show it to the other team. Shows vulnerability to the opponent and you certainly don't want that in your defense.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
But i think he has a lot to learn before getting the "good defender" bit right as well. Miss judging balls, bad positioning, covering are some of the few aspects he needs to improve on.

Then comes the bit you bring up Rab about his use of the ball which is simply atrocious at times. I can live with him being a bad passer but the hesitation cannot be an aspect of his game and cannot show it to the other team. Shows vulnerability to the opponent and you certainly don't want that in your defense.
Actually, his positioning is one of his stronger points. (I'm not talking about the Conf. cup here but in general).

SoulSiick

Schizoid Man
Oct 16, 2007
I don't think you're getting the point. We are not discussing his defensive aspect quality. The man as a defender is simply one of the best in t he world. But there are more things than defending.

Just like Asif said, he has to use his heads or else he wont improve. He's a terrible passer and keeps making bad decisions, the way he clears the ball is unacceptable. Too many times they could have gone into counterattacks but Chiellini instead chooses to clear the ball really bad.

He hesitates a lot, hesitating the most dangerous thing a defender can have when he's got a ball at his feet.

Too many things he needs to work on, we are disucssing his defending ability it's what he's doing with the ball on his feet and how he's clearing the ball.
My idea about this,which im not saying against urs,just to add to my last post !

1-In slow games he usually walk with ball till the center of the pitch or sides then pass it to someone else,i saw that thousends times in juve.but in fast and high tempo games he just clear it everywhere its possible.like brazil game.

So i think,its mostly about having a picture of the team in his head.in a game when shape of the team is changing rapidly,he just have no idea what is his next move.and im not blaming this on not thinking.first thing he should learn is look and picture his team too,not only the oppenennt.he should have general Idea of team shape so when he gets the ball,at least know where should he heading to! not start wondering about next move.

The main reason maybe is that he raise as a fullback.where u dont necceserly need a good eye on taem.cuz options re limited there.i think the 1st he should learn is to defend with his head up ! so his goal will not be just getting the ball.

2-Chiellini doesnt have any self-confident in his long passes! when he has chance to do that,he never looks sure if he wanna pass the ball long or just give it away to someone else.maybe thats the reason behind his hesitating.He should improve his long passes so he can trust himself at the first place ! than use this ability.

3-Chielini is not 19 anymore,next season he will be 25.He is smart defender,he has enough experience.he is on of the best defenders.but there are some other small steps he should take to be complete.Im not talking about conf. cup.in euro he was the only man standing and defending most of the tournament.I think if he improves this small steps,he can show his problem is not about using his head,he should have more skills with ball to give him more confidence while he has the ball. another thing is,he is educated,and i think an educated player thinks better than others.its just my own idea but i strongly beleive in it !

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Actually, his positioning is one of his stronger points. (I'm not talking about the Conf. cup here but in general).
Well I'm not really sure about that, could be attributed to inconsistency or lack of awareness at times. I always bring up the Chievo game but it was a disappointing performance by him. On two occasions his positioning let him down and Pellisier broke through. If you look through the matches you will see numerous examples of that.

To be fair he does well with his positioning sometimes, so it could be inconsistency more than anything.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Well I'm not really sure about that, could be attributed to inconsistency or lack of awareness at times. I always bring up the Chievo game but it was a disappointing performance by him. On two occasions his positioning let him down and Pellisier broke through. If you look through the matches you will see numerous examples of that.

To be fair he does well with his positioning sometimes, so it could be inconsistency more than anything.
Inconsistency is definitely one of his biggest flaws. Couple this with a lack of concentration and you get exactly what we saw in the Chievo game (and some other games actually).

My point is that, when he is in form and plays to his (full) potential, his positioning is almost perfect.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Chiellini: 'Juve have best strikers'
Sunday 5 July, 2009
Giorgio Chiellini is confident Juventus are closer to Inter and have “a superior strike force” regardless of Diego Milito’s arrival.

“If [Gaetano] D’Agostino and Diarra join along with Diego and [Fabio] Cannavaro, then we are a complete squad a step ahead from last season,” said the defender.

“The gap from the Nerazzurri has been reduced. Inter remain the favourites for the Scudetto, obviously, but despite Milito and [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic, we still have the superior strike force.

“It also needs to be noted that in order to win the title, you need the best defence.”

Some Juventus fans were unhappy to see veteran Cannavaro return in place of Olof Mellberg, especially after the poor Confederations Cup displays.

“Fabio provides security. He helped me to grow in my first season with the Bianconeri, remains the best centre-back and this controversy over young and old players is meaningless. We will prove we are the strongest defensive pairing in Serie A, which will make [Italy Coach Marcello] Lippi happy.”

Ciro Ferrara takes the helm following two games at the end of the season in place of Claudio Ranieri.

“In those two matches he proved he is not a shot in the dark, nor just a friend to the players, but in truth a qualified Coach,” added Chiellini in the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“If we win, then the diamond midfield is a more entertaining system, but playing well and losing doesn’t make anyone happy.”

C4

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I think Chiellini is delusional :shifty: :rolleyes:

Having said that, I don't expect him to come out and say Inter will kill us and are far superior to us in every department, or that we have Siena Quality fullbacks :p

Jul 10, 2006
Chiellini targets Scudetto
Wednesday 15 July, 2009

Giorgio Chiellini believes Juventus are in a position to take the Scudetto for the first time since Calciopoli.

“These new signings have really reinforced the squad. I know it’s not easy to compete with Inter and at the end of the day last season they deserved the victory because they were more consistent,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“We have certainly closed the gap with our new buys, but now we need to achieve their level of consistency and not drop stupid points in ridiculous games like we did last year.”

The Bianconeri finished in second place and were the main challengers for much of the campaign.

They have been busy on the transfer market this summer with the arrival of Diego, Fabio Cannavaro and Felipe Melo.

“I am curious to see Diego in action, as on television it’s a very different matter,” continued Chiellini.

“I know Felipe Melo already, having faced him in Serie A when he played for Fiorentina.”

New Coach Ciro Ferrara brings different ideas to the team and has confirmed he is testing out a diamond midfield.

“This side has to be as tough and solid as those of Marcello Lippi and Fabio Capello. Those teams had talented individuals upfront, but the important thing is for the squad to be united.”

c4

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
He really needs to work on setting up play and passing...He seems rushed whenever an opposition player gets close to him...Also could do with being a bit less eratic sometimes. It seems he goes into a challenge at full speed when sometimes judging a situation before intervening is a better idea.

Still our best defender but I still fear for our defence..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 117)