Antonio Conte (24 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Lol he really is, it's so weird
Personally I think his teams are so structured that they don't suit knock out football so well. Unless you are going to do something like Mourinho and a backs-to-the-walls defensive job against a superior set of players then these important one-off games are better suited to playing a more open and loose approach, less tactical rigidity but without losing your defensive shape, give players a bit more freedom.

League football is not like cup football, it's not just another 90 minutes because in cup football you often have to be bolder and risk more to earn more, in the league there is always another game in the minds of those players who are not forced to focus on each game like Conte's players are.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Personally I think his teams are so structured that they don't suit knock out football so well. Unless you are going to do something like Mourinho and a backs-to-the-walls defensive job against a superior set of players then these important one-off games are better suited to playing a more open and loose approach, less tactical rigidity but without losing your defensive shape, give players a bit more freedom.

League football is not like cup football, it's not just another 90 minutes because in cup football you often have to be bolder and risk more to earn more, in the league there is always another game in the minds of those players who are not forced to focus on each game like Conte's players are.
The weird thing is that we saw the exact opposite with Italian nt.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The weird thing is that we saw the exact opposite with Italian nt.
Yeah, but I suppose that is because you are squeezing so much into a short period of time and few matches, you have to give players more freedom playing 2 games every few months and then a handful at a tournament every two years.

I also think that he and his players put so much into the league season it becomes difficult to get over the line in the last month or so. He's not used a lot of players this season, Chelsea have had either the fewest or second fewest injuries yet he's used the same block of 14 players each week, with the odd game thrown in for another 4-5 players in the lesser games. It's similar to what Leicester did last season.

In the commentary there were a few mentions about "a game too far", but a coach has to find a way to balance out numerous competitions and arrive in good shape. It's not like it's going to get any easier for him next season. Again he's playing the last few games of the season with the title wrapped up or needing a miracle not to be, battering sides out of sight with most of his strongest team, then turns up for the FA Cup final and the players look like their edge has been blunted. I don't fully understand it but he's not doing something right somewhere.

Next season we'll find out a lot more. But you just can't bet against him over a league campaign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)