American NFL Football (28 Viewers)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Oh, and believe me, I LOVE the fact that so many people are jumping to Montana's defense here.

It's the best thing that has happened to me all day.

It does a 5 decade 49er fan proud :touched:
:D

Actually, Jack, here you go

That one is too legit.
Great Doco, there are some great 30 for 30's

Montana's better in every single measurable in the playoffs. Every single one. Completion %, YPA, TD/INT ratio/ QB Rating. Everything.

Montana also played in the 80s before the massive inflation of QB stats, due to more rules protecting QBs and receivers. There's a reason several guys in the league now can throw 40+ TD seasons, and 5000+ yards. Montana plays in this current era, his stats are easily at the same level as Brady's.

Aside from this. If Brady played in the 80s. That tuck rule bullshit call would never have happened for him, and poof, there goes one of his superbowls.
:agree:
I'm not casting doubt on his greatness. I don't want to get into Montana comparisons like some, but Brady is hands-down the most clutch and most performing QB of his generation. Just that as far as MVP performances go, this wasn't one of the stronger ones I've seen.

Seattle's defense was perhaps the best he faced all season, but a couple of injuries and subs into the game (Jeremy Lane, Cliff Avril), it was clear Seattle's D wasn't at full strength anymore towards the end.
Losing Lane killed them. Pats targeted his backup all game after that.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I thought Brady had a really good performance. Typical 2nd half/4th quarter shit from the Pats. It takes something extra to get those last two touchdowns. The interceptions are whatever imo. They happen plus it's not like he has the greatest receivers to throw to.

And I feel like Seattle was lucky to score as many points as they did. It's a shame they weren't able to score on that last play tho.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
So Brady going 29/48 for 266 yards and only 1 TD against the Giants was putting on a good showing? He put 14 points on the board. With Randy Moss. The Pats went into the game massive favourites, even to win in a blowout. They were undefeated. They were putting up over 30 points a game. And Brady completed 60%, at about 5.5 ypa, with 1 td, and fumbled in Giants territory. There's a reason the game is considered one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. Brady choked massively. That stat line is pathetic. :rofl:

And then the next Super Bowl against the Giants he put up 17 points. 17 points! He had a minute at the end to go down the field and score and instead threw 4 incomplete passes of the 6 attempts to lose the game. He didn't put a single point on the board in the 4th quarter. He also intentionally grounded the ball in his own end zone for the first safety in SB history, and then threw an interception in the 4th quarter. :rofl:

He choked massively in those 2 Superbowls. Just like Manning. I can't stand Manning, but don't act like Brady performed in the slightest in either of those Superbowls. The Pats lost those games entirely because their offense couldn't score. And considering the 2007 offense which broke numerous records scored 14 points in the Super Bowl against a wildcard team.... That's one of the most massive chokes of all time, alongside Peyton Manning last year.

Montana > Brady in the Super Bowl any day of the week. Montana had 4 basically perfect games.

Montana Super Bowl stats:
83-122 1142 Yds 11 TDs 0 Ints 127.8 Passer Rating 17 Rushes 105 yds 2 rushing TDs 0 Fumbles 0 Safeties taken

Brady Super Bowl stats:
164-247 1605 Yds 13 TDs 4 Ints 95.3 Passer Rating 6 rushes 11 yards 0 rushing TDs 2 Fumbles 1 Safety taken

Pretty obvious who is the better Super Bowl QB and it's by a massive margin.
Put a lid on the debate because Tom Brady was defeated by the Manning who plays to win championships :D

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Interesting indeed. I can play the if and if not game too - if not for two miraculous catches by Giants WRs, Brady would have had 6 SBs now.

(EDITED: AFAIR, Montana should have been intercepted by a Bengals CB in that SB, which would have ended the game, leaving Montana with 3 Sb wins. instead, the defender dropped the ball and Montana eventually threw a TD to win the game for the 9ers.)

Ifs or If nots, case closed.

But let's reopen it again for a moment :D

Montana played with 12 pro-bowl players (just on offense alone) in his SB winning runs; Brady did so with only 2. Montana played for a genius offensive-minded coach in Walsh (for most of his career), credited as the creator of the WCO; Brady has played his entire career with a defense-minded coach in Belichick, for whom having premier players on Offense was little more than an after-thought for most of Brady's years with the Pats.
For one year, 2007, Brady got to run an O with proper offensive talent (a HOF Wr in Moss) and he went a circus catch short of a perfect season, breaking all sorts of TD, completion, passing and scoring records on the way. The rest of his career, he's had to work with mostly second-rate talent, with the supporting cast changing on a yearly basis.

And all this in the free agency/salary cap era. As much as @King of Kings is trying to somehow spin this as an advantage, he knows very well he's pulling stuff out of places better left untouched :p Guess what - scouting, finding the right talent and talent development has always been part of team-building. It's significance went thru the roof, however, in the UFA/cap era, which made putting a talented roster together difficult, keeping it together, even more so.

Yes, Montana played bigger-named QBs in the Sbs but they were also known to be bottlers on the big stage - the Peyton Mannings of their era. It's not by chance that marino never won the SB, while Elway won it only when Shanaghan gave him a great running game to lean on (Terrell Davis), taking the load off his weak shoulders. Both Elway and Marino have been on the losing side of the biggest blow-outs in SB history and Elway didn't have to play montana in order to get his shit pushed in the other two SBs he's lost.

Montana had an excellent 49er defense to lean, while those Dolphins and Broncos teams were very much offense oriented with average Ds (iirc), hence the blow outs. In fact the better, if not best, defense Montana has had to play at the SB was the Bengals D (with Boomer Esiason at QB) and they had ranked 16th (iirc) in the league that year i.e. bottom half of the table. And in that game, a Bengals CB should have intercepted Montana in the redzone to end the game. He dropped the ball, instead.
Brady may not have played the Peyton Mannings of the world in the SB but he had to beat them on way to the SB. The Sbs he won he did so vs teams built and centered around tough defenses with the Sb vs the Seahawks LOB being just the freshest example. Montana never had to play a D of that caliber at the SB.

And again, this was in the UFA/salary cap era, which leveled the playing field for all teams and shrank the gap between teams in the league, hence why blow-outs at the highest stage (the Sb) are very much a thing of the past these days.

Speaking of interesting, here is some food for thought:

B891liSIYAIsr1w.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)