American NFL Football (42 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Who gives a fuck about Brady. Of course his stats are better. Acmilan's list is retarded. It doesn't take into account at all the massive changes in rules to favour QBs.

Montana played 4 perfect SB games. I showed the stats. Montana > Brady in SBs and it isn't even close. Like miles and miles better. Brady performed one of the biggest choke jobs in NFL history against the wild card Giants by putting up 14 points with Moss and Welker.

If Montana played today his stats would be infinitely better than they were with the current rules.

Or he wouldn't play at all, because coaches would consider him far too slow. The game has sped up and changed.

You cannot compare both players, because they're not playing at the same time. And who cares anyway? Montana's retired. Brady is playing. It's not as if you'll ever get to see Montana play again. Just enjoy Brady.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
(EDITED: AFAIR, Montana should have been intercepted by a Bengals CB in that SB, which would have ended the game, leaving Montana with 3 Sb wins. instead, the defender dropped the ball and Montana eventually threw a TD to win the game for the 9ers.)

Montana had an excellent 49er defense to lean, while those Dolphins and Broncos teams were very much offense oriented with average Ds (iirc), hence the blow outs. In fact the better, if not best, defense Montana has had to play at the SB was the Bengals D (with Boomer Esiason at QB) and they had ranked 16th (iirc) in the league that year i.e. bottom half of the table. And in that game, a Bengals CB should have intercepted Montana in the redzone to end the game. He dropped the ball, instead.
Brady may not have played the Peyton Mannings of the world in the SB but he had to beat them on way to the SB. The Sbs he won he did so vs teams built and centered around tough defenses with the Sb vs the Seahawks LOB being just the freshest example. Montana never had to play a D of that caliber at the SB.

And again, this was in the UFA/salary cap era, which leveled the playing field for all teams and shrank the gap between teams in the league, hence why blow-outs at the highest stage (the Sb) are very much a thing of the past these days.
You just enjoy telling bold-faced lies, huh. Denver had the No 1 defense in the NFL in 1989 when Montana and the 49ers blew them out 55-10. They allowed 14.1 ppt, which was 1.7 ppg better than 2nd which was San Francisco and New York Giants at 15.8 ppg. Denver had the 3rd ranked pass D, and 6th ranked run D, which combined to be the clearcut best overall D in the NFL. (for comparison Seattles D allowed 15.9ppg this year)

Denver offense-oriented in 89. Liar. :rofl:

Miami had the 7th best scoring D in the NFL in 1984 allowing 18.6 PPG.

Cincinatti in 81 had the 12th ranked D, and in 88 had the 16th ranked D.

San Francisco never once played a bottom half of the league Defensive team in the Super Bowl. And managed to put up 55 points on the number 1 ranked scoring D in the NFL in 89 against the Broncos.

But keep telling your lies.

Also, the dropped interception, wasn't on the final drive, it was on the second play of the 4th quarter, with the score 13-6 for the Bengals, so who knows how that game would have finished if the interception had been made deep in Cinci territory. The final drive, Montana was nearly perfect, in leading the most clutch game-winning TD drive in NFL history, while leaving less than 30 seconds on the clock for the Bengals to answer.

Guess what else, Brady got the ball back in both Super Bowls against the giants. The First, only needing a field goal, from his 26 with 29 seconds left. He needed about 40 yards in 29 seconds to get his kicker within range. Instead, he threw 3 incompletions and took a sack. :rofl:

And the second super bowl, needing a TD, with 57 seconds left from his 20, he went 2 of 6, and took a sack which forced them to use their last timeout. Again, another Brady choke job.

The tuck rule, New England doesn't even go to the first super bowl without it, and it's questionable whether Brady was even tucking the ball, when he fumbled. Joke of a call, that fucked over the Raiders.

In terms of playoffs, and Super Bowls, it's not even close. Montana over Brady.

And shut up about the league being more competitive now. It's not true at all. 8 teams have won the super bowl in Brady's career. 7 teams won the Super Bowl in Montana's career. Hardly a difference. Also the Pats didn't have to deal with an AFC even close to as powerful as the NFC of Montana's time with the Redskins (3 SBs), Giants (2SBs), and Bears(1SB) all fantastic teams throughout much of the 80s.

- - - Updated - - -

@PostIronic

Ma $#@!.

Are you a 9ers fan?
I'm a Packers fan...

But, I've always respected and really liked the 9ers organization. Montana was by far my favourite QB to watch of all time. Joe Cool had ice in his veins unlike any other. The guy would have destroyed the NFL today with the pass happy rules changes.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Or he wouldn't play at all, because coaches would consider him far too slow. The game has sped up and changed.

You cannot compare both players, because they're not playing at the same time. And who cares anyway? Montana's retired. Brady is playing. It's not as if you'll ever get to see Montana play again. Just enjoy Brady.
Are you fucking kidding me? Too slow? :sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

Id still take Rodgers over Brady, if I had to choose a qb.
:agree:

Rodgers has been the best QB in the league since taking over from Favre in 08. In a sense though he's the next generation. Brady is certainly the best QB of his generation over Manning. I would never argue that, regardless of Manning's ridiculous regular season stats.

But 1 Super Bowl, 1 Super Bowl MVP, and 2 Regular Season MVPs, plus highest career passer rating by a wide margin (106.4, no one else over 100), one of only 4 QBs ever to have a career postseason passer rating over 100, and that insane TD-INT ratio of 4-1. And to think that he's only played 7 seasons so far. If he manages to win another two Super Bowl while keeping on pace to shatter all Manning's records eventually, he'll be up there with Montana and Brady (I throw Johnny Unitas in there too I think, though I obviously never saw him play, more from what my Pops says about him) for best of all-time.

If he'd been healthy for the playoffs this year, I think the Pack would have had a very good chance to win it all this year. Unfortunately so luck goes.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Are you fucking kidding me? Too slow? :sergio:

Yes. I'm not talking about his 40 time, obviously, but about his actions. Fact is, you can't predict how he would play if he were to play today.

It's like saying Pele is better than Cristiano - makes no sense to even compare them.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yes. I'm not talking about his 40 time, obviously, but about his actions. Fact is, you can't predict how he would play if he were to play today.

It's like saying Pele is better than Cristiano - makes no sense to even compare them.
Joe's actions weren't slow... Not at all, when he needed to, he had one of the quickest releases in the league. Not slow at all, in any way.

What I have said multiple times is that Brady is the best QB of his generation, Montana the best QB of his. That in-between generation, there really isn't a "best QB"... Manning losing in the SB last year, clearly settled the Manning-Brady debate, and this SB put an emphatic exclamation point on it.

I'm just sick of endless articles popping up over the last couple days about Brady surpassing Montana as the greatest of all time. And stupid arguments like the NFL parity today as opposed to then, which isn't true in the slightest, and that Montana didn't play good D's in the SB ever, which is also another massive lie.

There is one indisputable, and that is that Montana is the best SB QB of all time. It's not even a debate, as his stats in Superbowls and his performances were flawless. 286 ypg in super bowls on 68% passing, with 11 passing tds, 2 rushing tds, 0 ints, 0 fumbles. Blowing out the best defense in the NFL in '89 with 55 points. One of the most iconic game-winning drives in SB history. No one comes close. Especially considering guys like Brady play in a much more QB friendly era.

In terms of best QB of all time. It's just a matter of opinion, as it's all too close to really say. But at the top of the heap go Montana, Brady, and perhaps guys like Unitas and Graham.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
There is one indisputable, and that is that Montana is the best SB QB of all time. It's not even a debate, as his stats in Superbowls and his performances were flawless.
It's the only standard you could use I guess. It's not perfect, but at least it's objective. As for the greatest QB of all time, I agree, it's a matter of opinion.

The reason Brady is now presented as the greatest QB of all time is merely that it sells IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)