American NFL Football (45 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I don't blindly hate any team, the Pats irritate me as does Brady, his complaining during the ravens game is an example why. Why does it bother you so much? Are you insecure about Brady?

If someone said they hated Del Piero I'd just say whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

It is the 4-0 that is so ridiculous. Clutch. But yes I agree.
Do you know why he was complaining during the Ravens game? I am guessing not i.e. you yet again have formed a strong, uninformed opinion on a matter without having all the facts.

For the record, the reason why Brady "whined" in that game was because a Ravens DT (Jernigen) reached into his helmet and poked him in the eye, scratching his eye/cornea. This is an offense punishable by expulsion from the game. And that was after he had kneed him while already on the ground. None of those plays even generated a flag from the refs.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'll dispute it till the day I die. Montana is the greatest, he never lost a Super Bowl. Plus Montana played in an era before they started changing rules to protect QB's and handcuff defenses.
My case for Brady being the greatest of all time now is that he went an entire generation in the NFL before he won one again. A decade is an eternity in the NFL, and to come back from a 10 point deficit against the best defense in the league, in the biggest game of the season, at his age, when they had no running game to speak of, speaks volumes about him.

Believe me when I tell you, I pass around complements like manhole covers, and in no way was this an easy thing for me to say.

Especially considering where I happen to live.

And there is no one here on this forum who remembers the Montana years like I do. I remember them like they were yesterday, when you knew, that no matter what, Joe Cool would come through. I remember the '86 season when he had back surgery in the middle of the year but still came back in time for the playoffs. I remember the Super Bowls, the last minute touchdown pass on a slant route to John Taylor in '89, the destruction of both Elway and Marino in the super bowl.

But consider what Brady has done in his career, his winning percentage, both in the regular season and in the playoffs, and it's unmatched. The guy has been in more playoffs games thatn anyone I can remember, and yet his percentage his higher than anyone else's. And that is amazing, considering how a playoff loss can greatly skew that percentage.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
regardless of that, I see him as a whiner. IF that was the case, he did have a valid point. Once again, I don't see why you feel you have to defend him so much, or why my dislike of the patriots is such an issue.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well you could also say that the Pats have had a favorable division for a while. I am not saying the Pats aren't a good team though.

- - - Updated - - -

:D
The division opponents are not his fault.

I know that you don't remember this, but the old NFC west was pretty shitty for a long long time.

We are talking about the Falcons and the Saints being in that division, and they were fucking horrible, yet nobody brings that up when talking about Montana.

Their best competition in the division were the Rams, and their offense consisted of Dickerson right, Dickerson left, Dickerson up the middle for a very long time.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I think there is a case to be made based on how many times Brady has gotten to the bowl, his perseverance to get back on that horse after losing, definitely. What Montana did in his 4 games is crazy though, perfect. Can't compare the two, its two different situations.

- - - Updated - - -

The division opponents are not his fault.

I know that you don't remember this, but the old NFC west was pretty shitty for a long long time.

We are talking about the Falcons and the Saints being in that division, and they were fucking horrible, yet nobody brings that up when talking about Montana.

Their best competition in the division were the Rams, and their offense consisted of Dickerson right, Dickerson left, Dickerson up the middle for a very long time.
I can't really comment on the 9ers back then, I wasn't even born. But yeah, that is fair enough. What I can see is highlights and stats which don't tell the full story but I don't think anyone will ever do what Montana did, play 4 basically perfect games.

Jul 10, 2006
My case for Brady being the greatest of all time now is that he went an entire generation in the NFL before he won one again. A decade is an eternity in the NFL, and to come back from a 10 point deficit against the best defense in the league, in the biggest game of the season, at his age, when they had no running game to speak of, speaks volumes about him.

Believe me when I tell you, I pass around complements like manhole covers, and in no way was this an easy thing for me to say.

Especially considering where I happen to live.

And there is no one here on this forum who remembers the Montana years like I do. I remember them like they were yesterday, when you knew, that no matter what, Joe Cool would come through. I remember the '86 season when he had back surgery in the middle of the year but still came back in time for the playoffs. I remember the Super Bowls, the last minute touchdown pass on a slant route to John Taylor in '89, the destruction of both Elway and Marino in the super bowl.

But consider what Brady has done in his career, his winning percentage, both in the regular season and in the playoffs, and it's unmatched. The guy has been in more playoffs games thatn anyone I can remember, and yet his percentage his higher than anyone else's. And that is amazing, considering how a playoff loss can greatly skew that percentage.
I remember the Montana years very well, at least the second half of his career. He was my favorite player when I was a kid. I was 12-13 when he won his back to back Super Bowls.

Since you are talking about generation gaps, Montana won his first SB in 1981 and his last in 1990. And he never had a 10 year gap without adding a ring to his collection. 81, 84, 89, 90. :)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'll dispute it till the day I die. Montana is the greatest, he never lost a Super Bowl. Plus Montana played in an era before they started changing rules to protect QB's and handcuff defenses.
Never losing a Super Bowl is a bad measure, IMO. It's still very much a team sport. While I would argue that Brady was a pretty soft MVP as far as Super Bowl MVPs go yesterday, he did exactly what the Patriots needed: to keep his head in the game and the team in the game just when odds were starting to press against him. He made the plays when he absolutely needed to (8/8 on the last drive being a good example, though Seattle's defense was both tired and playing a little prevent-mode at the time).

That said, two flukes in the final minutes could have made the difference between him being a winner or loser of the SuperBowl: Kearse's catch or Wilson's interception. He had nothing to do with either. So you can't give him all of the credit nor all of the blame.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
another way of stating the same is "he didn't fall short during but before even making it to any other potential SBs". Also, Trent Dilfer never lost a SB either while Peyton Manning has lost two. Does that make Dilfer better than manning?

Montana played in an era without UFA and salary cap, making it easier for big-market teams to put and keep together talented rosters. Today's NFL is built on the idea of leveling the playing field by making teams average thru and thru. Supporting cast nowadays is largely determined by the "revolving door" principle. Montana had HOF players like Rice around him, while even I can't name most of Brady's WRs without looking them up online.

Personally, I am no proponent of such comparisons when it comes to a team sport, from different eras, under different circumstances. This being said, it would be a lot easier to make a case for Brady being the GOAT than Montana.
This argument can go both ways, though. There were no quick fixes in the NFL back then. You couldn't throw money at a problem, so to speak. You had to do your homework in scouting, drafting, and making trades. If you didn't do your homework, you were dead to rights.

As far as Rice is concerned, Montana won his first two Super Bowls with Rice still in college.

His starting wide receivers in the super bowl against the Dolphins were Dwight Clark, Carl Monroe, with an over the hill Russ Francis as his tight end. He had Tyler and Craig as his running backs, but Craig was still unproven at the time.

His first super bowl offense around him was even worse, with the legendary Ricky Patton as their feature back.

So, he won Super bowls with his fair share of talent that could not be considered as all-star.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess one thing that you could say in regards to the Montana vs Brady debate is the opposing quarterback that each faced in their super bowls, and in that regards, it's not even remotely close.

Ken Anderson, Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason, John Elway vs Kurt Warner, Donovan Mcnabb, Jake Delhomme, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Never losing a Super Bowl is a bad measure, IMO. It's still very much a team sport. While I would argue that Brady was a pretty soft MVP as far as Super Bowl MVPs go yesterday, he did exactly what the Patriots needed: to keep his head in the game and the team in the game just when odds were starting to press against him. He made the plays when he absolutely needed to (8/8 on the last drive being a good example, though Seattle's defense was both tired and playing a little prevent-mode at the time).

That said, two flukes in the final minutes could have made the difference between him being a winner or loser of the SuperBowl: Kearse's catch or Wilson's interception. He had nothing to do with either. So you can't give him all of the credit nor all of the blame.
The more telling factor is the way he wen't about winning them, his stats.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

What you can give him credit for is putting the team in a position to win in those other two super bowl losses, and in this one, that ended up turning out favorably.

If he pulled a Manning in those other two super bowls and the team lost because of his pathetic showing, then by all means, he should be primarily accountable for those results.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What you can give him credit for is putting the team in a position to win in those other two super bowl losses, and in this one, that ended up turning out favorably.

If he pulled a Manning in those other two super bowls and the team lost because of his pathetic showing, then by all means, he should be primarily accountable for those results.
Exactly.

Ironically, what he succeeded at yesterday -- putting his team in a position with a solid chance to win the game at the end -- is precisely a bit of how Wilson lost it.

I can't say that Brady won yesterday's Super Bowl, but you could make a stronger argument that Wilson lost it.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Exactly.

Ironically, what he succeeded at yesterday -- putting his team in a position with a solid chance to win the game at the end -- is precisely a bit of how Wilson lost it.

I can't say that Brady won yesterday's Super Bowl, but you could make a stronger argument that Wilson lost it.
thats a bit of an understatement, considering the 2 drives that overcame 4th quarter 10 point deficit was a first, he was as clear an MVP as can be.

Jul 10, 2006

Brady is also without a Super Bowl blowout. Montana had two: 55-10 over Denver in 1990 and 38-16 over Miami in 1985. :)

Just gonna keep disputing Brady no matter. I like the guy, and he's one of the greats, but I'll never concede that he's better than Montana.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
thats a bit of an understatement, considering the 2 drives that overcame 4th quarter 10 point deficit was a first, he was as clear an MVP as can be.
I'd have to temper that, given that 7 of that 10 point deficit were generated at the hands of his interception. I give him credit for recovering for his mistakes. But the magnitude of an MVP performance isn't necessarily increased by how much you dig your own hole to start with.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I'd have to temper that, given that 7 of that 10 point deficit were generated at the hands of his interception. I give him credit for recovering for his mistakes. But the magnitude of an MVP performance isn't necessarily increased by how much you dig your own hole to start with.
id temper that if he didnt play the way he did(int's included) he wouldnt throw the TD to even put them in contention, this was the best defense he was facing.

I am honestly baffled why so much doubt is cast on his greatness, some people before the game even dared to say wilson was more clutch :sergio:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)