American NFL Football (53 Viewers)

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
It's really not, but for us Europeans I think it has two problems:
1. There is too much time between downs. The game drags on for hours..
2. Downs can be over incredibly quick.

It's not a style of sports we are accustomed to. But the tactics, the athletic prowess of the players make it an interesting sport to watch IMO.
It's the down times which just annoys me and probably the main reason why I never really got into american football in the same way I could appreciate other major american sports like basketball and ice hockey.

The tactics/plays i have no issues with that is probably the only thing that appeals to me

- - - Updated - - -

Milan cost me £33,000 by not beating Lazio last week so do not envy me :D was a 10 pound bet i backed 16 teams most were underdogs 15 won.
dude milan? why!?!? :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Didn't watch it.

I shut off football after Harbaugh left.

So therefore I have no opinion on Deflate-gate, the 49ers coaching hires, or anything of the like

Brady is now the best Quarterback of all time, and this is coming from a 49ers fan since the days of Steve DeBerg.

And if what is being said about Montana in regards to Brady are true (Again, I have paid no attention), it is not surprising. He has always had an inferiority complex and has been petulant. He's been that way since 1987, which if anyone who is a 49er fan would know, is not a coincidence.

- - - Updated - - -

@X, no I don't remember that conversation, but it is a moot point now.

Whilst Montana is still the best quarterback I've ever seen, he is no longer the best of all time.

That honor goes to Brady now, and I can't really see how anyone can dispute it at this point.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
@King of Kings

Fair enough :tup:

Hopefully next season somehow goes well.

- - - Updated - - -

Brady threw some pretty shitty INT's in the game. Edelman was pretty immense.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@King of Kings

- - - Updated - - -

Did they get pressure on Brady up the middle? Because if they didn't, then you could have Lawrence Taylor and Charles Haley on the edge, and it wouldn't matter.

Probably the way that Seattle got those interceptions was due to stunts or twists up the middle

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Did they get pressure on Brady up the middle? Because if they didn't, then you could have Lawrence Taylor and Charles Haley on the edge, and it wouldn't matter.

Probably the way that Seattle got those interceptions was due to stunts or twists up the middle
First one was pretty much on Brady, losing Lane killed the Seahawks. Second one he threw to like double coverage. Wasn't the best idea.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...per-Bowl-XLIX-Patriots-vs-Seahawks-highlights

If you are interested.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I think i like them now though :D who are the most Juve like club there is? If its even possible to answer that question.
That would be the Patriots, and it ain't even close - successful, accused of cheating pretty much all the time and hated and envied by just about everyone else :D

so, welcome to the club :p

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
did you see carroll's vid above?
Yep. But still not good enough. Season winning drive with downs, time, and time-outs to spare, your first priority if you're caught out with supposedly the wrong personnel is that you protect the football. You avoid the turnover.

How do you best create an opportunity to cough up the ball from the 1 yard line in that situation? It's not handing off the ball. It's not throwing an incompletion into the ground. It's not making a throw towards the sidelines or out of the back of the end zone. It's putting the ball through the middle where a lineman, defender, etc., can tip it and who knows what happens. Which is precisely what they did.

If anything, I thought Carroll's response was a sly way of throwing Wilson under the bus a bit. Which, well, is accurate: he made the throw and took that risk under the circumstances. Just don't know if that was Carroll's intent.

Didn't watch it.

I shut off football after Harbaugh left. ...
I watched about 20 minutes of the SB myself and pretty much that was the first NFL play I'd seen in weeks. They're all felons, the league condones that, and the NFL should fold in my book anyway. :stuckup:

Jul 10, 2006
Didn't watch it.

I shut off football after Harbaugh left.

So therefore I have no opinion on Deflate-gate, the 49ers coaching hires, or anything of the like

Brady is now the best Quarterback of all time, and this is coming from a 49ers fan since the days of Steve DeBerg.

And if what is being said about Montana in regards to Brady are true (Again, I have paid no attention), it is not surprising. He has always had an inferiority complex and has been petulant. He's been that way since 1987, which if anyone who is a 49er fan would know, is not a coincidence.

- - - Updated - - -

@X, no I don't remember that conversation, but it is a moot point now.

Whilst Montana is still the best quarterback I've ever seen, he is no longer the best of all time.

That honor goes to Brady now, and I can't really see how anyone can dispute it at this point.
I'll dispute it till the day I die. Montana is the greatest, he never lost a Super Bowl. Plus Montana played in an era before they started changing rules to protect QB's and handcuff defenses.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
@King of Kings

- - - Updated - - -

you are trying too hard and are being too obvious, matey - just read what Sergio said above and then again and again and again, until it settles in nicely :D
Perfectly fine if you don't like the Pats but shouldn't let that come in the way of you appreciating greatness.

Brady didn't have the cleanest of games but showed great strength of character and leadership in coming back and slicing up a top defense with momentum on their side.
Also, reports are coming out he was a lot sicker than they had let out on - he's had flue-like symptoms for 10 days or so but was believed to not have been all that serious. Now it seems he had to miss team activities Saturday evening due to being too sick. The guy won one of his earlier SBs while being on IV too.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'll dispute it till the day I die. Montana is the greatest, he never lost a Super Bowl. Plus Montana played in an era before they started changing rules to protect QB's and handcuff defenses.
And Brady plays in an era when everyone is far more athletic than they were before.

It is impossible to compare players who played in different times. It makes no sense.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
you are trying too hard and are being too obvious, matey - just read what Sergio said above and then again and again and again, until it settles in nicely :D
Perfectly fine if you don't like the Pats but shouldn't let that come in the way of you appreciating greatness.

Brady didn't have the cleanest of games but showed great strength of character and leadership in coming back and slicing up a top defense with momentum on their side.
Also, reports are coming out he was a lot sicker than they had let out on - he's had flue-like symptoms for 10 days or so but was believed to not have been all that serious. Now it seems he had to miss team activities Saturday evening due to being too sick. The guy won one of his earlier SBs while being on IV too.
What, calling him out on 2 shitty interceptions is wrong? Obviously he did well. You are the one jumping on anything negative about the pats true or not.

- - - Updated - - -

And Brady plays in an era when everyone is far more athletic than they were before.

It is impossible to compare players who played in different times. It makes no sense.
Works both ways.

But yes, I agree with the second part.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Works both ways.

But yes, I agree with the second part.
Yeah, but I think the most gifted players have a natural athleticism to them. When the others are not as developed athletically that gives them a big advantage. In any case it doesn't really matter. My point is just that it makes no sense to compare them.

Especially because if you'd compare Brady to Montana using objective standards, Brady would beat him on every point - but so would many QB's. But that's only because the game has become quicker and players have been training better from a young age.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
What, calling him out on 2 shitty interceptions is wrong? Obviously he did well. You are the one jumping on anything negative about the pats true or not.
that's because you have made your blind hate for them quite clear by jumping to conclusions, bud. And the worst part is I am not sure even you know why you hate them

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
that's because you have made your blind hate for them quite clear by jumping to conclusions, bud. And the worst part is I am not sure even you know why you hate them
I don't blindly hate any team, the Pats irritate me as does Brady, his complaining during the ravens game is an example why. Why does it bother you so much? Are you insecure about Brady?

If someone said they hated Del Piero I'd just say whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but I think the most gifted players have a natural athleticism to them. When the others are not as developed athletically that gives them a big advantage. In any case it doesn't really matter. My point is just that it makes no sense to compare them.

Especially because if you'd compare Brady to Montana using objective standards, Brady would beat him on every point - but so would many QB's. But that's only because the game has become quicker and players have been training better from a young age.
It is the 4-0 that is so ridiculous. Clutch. But yes I agree.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
another way of stating the same is "he didn't fall short during but before even making it to any other potential SBs". Also, Trent Dilfer never lost a SB either while Peyton Manning has lost two. Does that make Dilfer better than manning?

Montana played in an era without UFA and salary cap, making it easier for big-market teams to put and keep together talented rosters. Today's NFL is built on the idea of leveling the playing field by making teams average thru and thru. Supporting cast nowadays is largely determined by the "revolving door" principle. Montana had HOF players like Rice around him, while even I can't name most of Brady's WRs without looking them up online.

Personally, I am no proponent of such comparisons when it comes to a team sport, from different eras, under different circumstances. This being said, it would be a lot easier to make a case for Brady being the GOAT than Montana.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 47)