You're going to hell if you __________ (1 Viewer)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #602
    I think what's surprising you here is that yes I'm saying it's a power trip, but it doesn't mean you abuse your power. For instance I was the admin here for many years and to be honest I did like the feeling of being in control, it is a little exciting. Now I don't think I really abused my power, I mean let others judge and so forth, but at least I didn't have any complaints about it.

So to be in control just to do good, treat people well, that in itself is a situation where having power is a thrill. (Of course on a forum you spend so much time reprimanding people and reasoning with trolls to play by the rules that it's mostly about being a cop on the beat, but still.)
    If that's the case, couldn't you say that about everything we do? I hold the door for somebody behind me, so that must mean the deed was done because I want to be recognized with a "thank you", thus feeding my ego. :confused:

you don't get it do you?

it's the CHOICE TO DO IT ANDY

god could have made us mindless beings with no choice who pray all the time, but we have the choice to pray, just as we have the choice to do anything

it's a TEST, doing the right thing isn't always the easy thing, it's in a guys nature to want to screw lots of girls, but it's a test not to

if we lived in an un natural way we would just have sex all the time and live lives of violence, what kind of argument is that? you think that would be better?

thing is andy, since you don't believe in god this is already irrelavant to you, that's why you don't seem to understand what i'm trying to get at
    With this line of thinking, wouldn't the bigger test be allowing the females to wear whatever they want, thus causing the males to have even more restraint, and vice-versa?

This is where the thinking of Muslims is rightfully destroyed. It's utterly hypocritical.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    If that's the case, couldn't you say that about everything we do? I hold the door for somebody behind me, so that must mean the deed was done because I want to be recognized with a "thank you", thus feeding my ego. :confused:
    Well this started out as a conversation about power and control. I don't think holding the door for someone has anything to do with power, but we're now spilling into the question of motive. Is anything that you do not selfishly motivated? I've been asking myself this question for years and I think every motive is ultimately selfish.

What is the motive for holding the door? There could be a couple.
    • I like this person, I want to have a dialogue with them. This little gesture contributes to that.
    • I don't know this person at all, but I like the idea of living in a society where people do nice things for each other. Perhaps if I hold the door for people, they will start doing little positive gestures for others and in effect we'll live in a better world.
    • I was brought up in a culture/tradition where holding the door for people is standard. I'm doing this to transmit my culture/tradition onto others.
    • "It makes me feel good" (this one is very vague and I'd like to be able to explain it better)

With this line of thinking, wouldn't the bigger test be allowing the females to wear whatever they want, thus causing the males to have even more restraint, and vice-versa?

This is where the thinking of Muslims is rightfully destroyed. It's utterly hypocritical.
    Don't you enjoy this line of reasoning that says "god did this, therefore it is so" but then whenever there is something about the religion that is bad the excuse is "god gave us free will, without that life would be meaningless etc". It's the complete exclusion from any blame at all.

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005

ermmm no not really, becuase then it would be a test only for males.............doign a wrong just for a test, it's illogical, the hijaab is there to preserve a womans modesty, the aim is so that they arn't viewed as sex objects, it's not that hard to understand, i told you that the hijaab works in what it sets out to do, and it does, you clmaimed to argue otherwise tlaking about nature yet were not able to give me a good argument as to where the hijaab fails on it's intention......

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #605
    Well this started out as a conversation about power and control. I don't think holding the door for someone has anything to do with power, but we're now spilling into the question of motive. Is anything that you do not selfishly motivated? I've been asking myself this question for years and I think every motive is ultimately selfish.

What is the motive for holding the door? There could be a couple.
    • I like this person, I want to have a dialogue with them. This little gesture contributes to that.
    • I don't know this person at all, but I like the idea of living in a society where people do nice things for each other. Perhaps if I hold the door for people, they will start doing little positive gestures for others and in effect we'll live in a better world.
    • I was brought up in a culture/tradition where holding the door for people is standard. I'm doing this to transmit my culture/tradition onto others.
    • "It makes me feel good" (this one is very vague and I'd like to be able to explain it better)
    Well, then you have to ask the question why be nice to anybody? I think it's proper to hold the door for others, not for a "feel good" high, but just because it should be done. Of course, if I know a hot girl is behind me, I'd be more willing to hold that door. :p

Don't you enjoy this line of reasoning that says "god did this, therefore it is so" but then whenever there is something about the religion that is bad the excuse is "god gave us free will, without that life would be meaningless etc". It's the complete exclusion from any blame at all.
    Yeah, it's a great cop out for stupidity.

ermmm no not really, becuase then it would be a test only for males.............doign a wrong just for a test, it's illogical, the hijaab is there to preserve a womans modesty, the aim is so that they arn't viewed as sex objects, it's not that hard to understand, i told you that the hijaab works in what it sets out to do, and it does, you clmaimed to argue otherwise tlaking about nature yet were not able to give me a good argument as to where the hijaab fails on it's intention......
    It fails by itself because no matter what women wear, in the minds of males they'll still be desired, still be viewed as sex objects, BECAUSE THAT IS THE NATURAL THOUGHT PROCESS OF MAN!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well, then you have to ask the question why be nice to anybody?
    Because it makes me happy, dude. Seriously, I'm not jesting here.

I think it's proper to hold the door for others, not for a "feel good" high, but just because it should be done.
    Let's try to see what "it should be done" means. For instance, it could mean "because I was brought up this way". So by acting according to your upbringing you are effectively maintaining the bond with your roots, you are grounding yourself in some sense by referring back to the culture in which you grew up. And the motive for feeling part of something is what? To have membership in a group, to feel a togetherness, to imbue your own life with meaning through the presence of others.

Qui bono? Andy.

Of course, if I know a hot girl is behind me, I'd be more willing to hold that door. :p
    Yes, the selfish motive becomes clearer. But that doesn't mean it wasn't always there.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #607
    Because it makes me happy, dude. Seriously, I'm not jesting here.

Let's try to see what "it should be done" means. For instance, it could mean "because I was brought up this way". So by acting according to your upbringing you are effectively maintaining the bond with your roots, you are grounding yourself in some sense by referring back to the culture in which you grew up. And the motive for feeling part of something is what? To have membership in a group, to feel a togetherness, to imbue your own life with meaning through the presence of others.

Qui bono? Andy.
    Who benefits? We all do. I mean, we want to live in a society that isn't all about screwing other people over, don't we? If one should take any line from the Bible, it should be "treat others as you would want to be treated." Common courtesy is not about some cultural matter, but rather something that should be promoted for everybody. It's better than living in a world where doors are slammed on your face.

It seems like you're trying to make people guilty for doing kind things. :D

Yes, the selfish motive becomes clearer. But that doesn't mean it wasn't always there.
    No matter who it is, I still hold the door for people.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Who benefits? We all do.
    Precisely. To do something to benefit yourself is not necessarily to hurt or deprive someone else. Take what is perhaps the most selfish goal of all: love. What could be more selfish than to desire someone to share your life with you? But the benefit is symmetrical.

I mean, we want to live in a society that isn't all about screwing other people over, don't we?
    Exactly, we want. So I want to be nice because I want to live in a society where people are nice to me. Sound self centered yet?

If one should take any line from the Bible, it should be "treat others as you would want to be treated."
    I think this line sells so well both because it gives you that feel good vibe (I'm a good person), and at the same time it's perfectly prudent economically (we all pay up for common benefit, my personal investment is protected).

It seems like you're trying to make people guilty for doing kind things. :D
    Am I? Is getting a good education, a good job something to feel guilty about? Is the motive selfish? Undoubtedly. And yet it's not something to feel ashamed of, is it? You benefit yourself, but not at the expense of others. What's more, others benefit from your improved self.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    It fails by itself because no matter what women wear, in the minds of males they'll still be desired, still be viewed as sex objects, BECAUSE THAT IS THE NATURAL THOUGHT PROCESS OF MAN!
    One of the things I always admired about Islam was the idea of jihad -- or at least the internal struggle of overcoming those temptations and other external bad influences, distractions, etc.

And I can understand the virtue in modesty. But modesty and requiring women to dress like army tents are two different things.

In the end, it becomes a bit like the gay man who enters the Catholic priesthood to "cure" himself of his homosexuality. He's cured nothing. He's evaded the problem is all he's done.

He's faced up against nothing. He's learning nothing. He's grown not one bit. No struggle. No growth. The problem is still there, strong as ever, just everyone gets to put their head in the sand and pretend as if it no longer exists. That's no jihad... that's running away screaming in personal defeat.

Apr 12, 2004
    The marriage is consider to be invalid one
    and penalty here is same for adultery
    So they cut the woman's dick off?

And you wouldn't know, but I'm drunk (something awesome they don't allow you to do) but i love my man Bes and we roll heavy strong and without a bong because we are drugs, so is it against Islam to stick my dickballs in your mouth?

PS - your mom said no

PPS - leave the forum

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
    why would that be unnatural? how could it be unnatural to follow your natural urges?

(do I think the word "unnatural" is meaningless? yes.)
    Man is naturally violent does that justify war or murder? no

look at it this way..
    Man is a Rational Animal
    The rationality is what distinct you from the animals... take that away and we become ones.
    the more rational you are, the more you are attached to your rational side the more human you are... the more vulgar you are.. the more animal..

Religion recognizes the natural urges of man.. it does not stop them... it CONTROLS and Organizes them. I am sure we all know people that their desires control them rather than they control their desires.

What is the purpose of ethics if we should just live like animals?

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    One of the things I always admired about Islam was the idea of jihad -- or at least the internal struggle of overcoming those temptations and other external bad influences, distractions, etc.

And I can understand the virtue in modesty. But modesty and requiring women to dress like army tents are two different things.

In the end, it becomes a bit like the gay man who enters the Catholic priesthood to "cure" himself of his homosexuality. He's cured nothing. He's evaded the problem is all he's done.

He's faced up against nothing. He's learning nothing. He's grown not one bit. No struggle. No growth. The problem is still there, strong as ever, just everyone gets to put their head in the sand and pretend as if it no longer exists. That's no jihad... that's running away screaming in personal defeat.
    wearing the army tents or ninja outfits as i call them are not required by islam, what is required is to dress modestly and to cover the hair

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    "Athiest ,agnostics etc are not religions , actually they are anti-religions'

And you're against that, so stop being against them and they won't argue or fight with you all the time.

At the end of the day, it's all about being a good person so stop trying to influence them to learn or join Islam or whatever religion. That's up to them, not you

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Man is naturally violent does that justify war or murder? no

look at it this way..
    Man is a Rational Animal
    The rationality is what distinct you from the animals... take that away and we become ones.
    the more rational you are, the more you are attached to your rational side the more human you are... the more vulgar you are.. the more animal..

Religion recognizes the natural urges of man.. it does not stop them... it CONTROLS and Organizes them. I am sure we all know people that their desires control them rather than they control their desires.

What is the purpose of ethics if we should just live like animals?
    There are other ways you know, it doesn't have to be all religion. Like being civilised, learning to respect other people etc..

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
    At the end of the day, it's all about being a good person so stop trying to influence them to learn or join Islam or whatever religion. That's up to them, not you
    No one is doing anything... they simply are criticizing it and i am defending it. They have many many misconceptions and i try to make it clearer regardless of their intentions.

here are other ways you know, it doesn't have to be all religion. Like being civilised, learning to respect other people etc..
    True but being "civilized" is mostly exclusive to europe and america ..
    people over here are like animals... religion puts some control over them..

I wasnt promoting religion over ethics.... i am promoting ethics in general be it islamic or not.. (i dont agree with everything in religion) i was criticizing the view that says we should do whatever is natural to human beings ... the view that says we are partially animals so there is nothing wrong with acting like animals.

rounder

Blindman
    Jun 13, 2007
    "Athiest ,agnostics etc are not religions , actually they are anti-religions'

And you're against that, so stop being against them and they won't argue or fight with you all the time.

Atheists believe there is no god. They cannot prove the non-existence of god therefore they are irrational in their belief. They are no more rational than theists or any religion for that matter. This is why I find Atheism extremely hypocritical and rather stupid.

Agnosticism is different. Agnostics simply do not know whether god exists, I think this is at least somewhat rational and logical, unlike atheists, they refuse to claim to know that god does not exist when they clearly do not possess any evidence whatsoever that disregards God's existence.

What attracted me to theism was the undeniable existence of the Moral Law, the origin of the universe from a metaphysical aspect, and extremely strong personal feelings towards the existence of a creator. If I were not a theist, I would conclude that the only arguably consistent and logical belief I would choose would be agnosticism. Atheism to me is meaningless at best.

rounder

Blindman
    Jun 13, 2007
    No, the two are not mutually exclusive. In fact I guess what I'm suggesting is that they are complimentary. So on the one hand you have this unconditional love for this organism that you want to express and if the animal/person rejects it then that's totally fine, they have their freedom. But is that really the truth? Cmon, it's not. The truth is you do love, but you also don't do this completely selflessly. You want it to be recognized, appreciated, you're doing this for yourself, it's a selfish motive. And in that, if possible, you seek some degree of control to make sure you get what you want.
    I see what you're saying, but often times the person in control is sacrificing his/her own health, pleasure, happiness for that of his/her pet. Then this feeling of power you are talking about is overturned. Instead of being in control, the owner is actually victim to his/her own love for this pet.

You are suggesting that altruism does not really exist. That there is always to some degree a motive for performing a good deed( making one feel better about himself etc..) I disagree, in many cases humans sacrifice far too much for the benefit of others. Humans do not do this for personal satisfaction but because it is actually in our nature to do good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)