What movie made you cry? (29 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Huge even, if we were to go by shoe size.

As for the question: not sure. There have been quite a few that had some emotional impact on me, but I can't seem to think of any specific titles. It's not always really "crying" either.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I think you missed my point, it's ok if movies can't get to you on that level, it in the end depends on our personalities. Some people are easy to laugh/cry and some are not, we're all different in that regard. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make any sense to hide your feelings if they are there. It has nothing to do with films being fiction, the message a movie carries does in fact matter and that you can relate to your life as well.

hence the "to that level" part, only through relating do we understand/feel, however i dont cry when someone tells me a story and i dont cry when that story is played out by actors. regardless of the grandeur fo the production or the skill of the actors, i dont get past the fact taht it is not 'real'.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Laughing is a very easy emotion which ranges from very subtle to hysterical, we all do it several times a day or more, even if we might not notice. Ok, maybe not Dusan. Crying on the other hand is more powerful and is harder to achieve, unless you are a teenage girl. It is more typical to feel sad than to cry.

I might sit and laugh at a really crap movie, even if just at the movie itself. I could be bored, pissed off, passive, scared, have a lump in my throat etc, but I don't find crying an easy or typical emotion when watching a movie. So for these reasons I'd have to agree with Deneb about feeling detached from a movie, appreciating it as a work of fiction even when it portrays factual events.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Alot of movies that got me emotional, lump in ze throat and so on,but no never cried, not because its sad enough or not getting immersed enough, but just not that easy to cry, in general, let alone a movie. Hard to offhand mention movies that got me emotional, except this moment in this movie when I saw it as a child, not because its sad (far from it :touched: ), but it really just moved alot me, in the context of the movie and and that whole sequence:

They dont make movies like these anymore.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
hence the "to that level" part, only through relating do we understand/feel, however i dont cry when someone tells me a story and i dont cry when that story is played out by actors. regardless of the grandeur fo the production or the skill of the actors, i dont get past the fact taht it is not 'real'.
Laughing is a very easy emotion which ranges from very subtle to hysterical, we all do it several times a day or more, even if we might not notice. Ok, maybe not Dusan. Crying on the other hand is more powerful and is harder to achieve, unless you are a teenage girl. It is more typical to feel sad than to cry.

I might sit and laugh at a really crap movie, even if just at the movie itself. I could be bored, pissed off, passive, scared, have a lump in my throat etc, but I don't find crying an easy or typical emotion when watching a movie. So for these reasons I'd have to agree with Deneb about feeling detached from a movie, appreciating it as a work of fiction even when it portrays factual events.
My initial point was something else which you can't seem to grasp :p (I want to cry but I resist because it's a teenage girl thing, crappy logic.)

But back to the point you two are making, how crying is not a typical emotion when watching a movie is beyond me as many people do indeed cry when being emotionally hit by a scene. I don't find it strange that you don't cry at films as we are all different at how much we could be influenced by an emotional event or how we are typically expressing our emotions.

And please, what does being fiction have to do with this? How come those works of fiction can make you sad then? Crying is just another way (higher level) we resort to when we are sad. Movies don't need to be documentaries picturing factual events to get to the audience on that level, they sometimes portray what human suffers from, things we see happen around us on a daily basis and that's why we can relate to them.

So perhaps I had to start with a basic question: Do you guys cry at all? :D

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
My initial point was something else which you can't seem to grasp :p (I want to cry but I resist because it's a teenage girl thing, crappy logic.)

But back to the point you two are making, how crying is not a typical emotion when watching a movie is beyond me as many people do indeed cry when being emotionally hit by a scene. I don't find it strange that you don't cry at films as we are all different at how much we could be influenced by an emotional event or how we are typically expressing our emotions.

And please, what does being fiction have to do with this? How come those works of fiction can make you sad then? Crying is just another way (higher level) we resort to when we are sad. Movies don't need to be documentaries picturing factual events to get to the audience on that level, they sometimes portray what human suffers from, things we see happen around us on a daily basis and that's why we can relate to them.

initial point that we dont get? maybe you dont remember what your 'initial' point was :D you started saying that lauging is just like crying, which it isnt as you admit above. A movie as i conceded can get you to feel emotional, but no sane man :D would cry watching a movie, unless it really hits home say a holocaust survivor or his immediate family watch schindler's list. So then it's really not about the movie now is it?

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
initial point that we dont get? maybe you dont remember what your 'initial' point was :D you started saying that lauging is just like crying, which it isnt as you admit above. A movie as i conceded can get you to feel emotional, but no sane man :D would cry watching a movie, unless it really hits home say a holocaust survivor or his immediate family watch schindler's list. So then it's really not about the movie now is it?
My initial point was that it doesn't make sense to hide your feelings IF they are there, whether you are a sane man like Deneb or a teenage girl like me :biggrin:

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
Of course not! Real men don't cry. ;) Well at least that's what they say. :p

I think it's because it's more socially acceptable for a woman to cry than it is for a man. It's not necessarily true that they can't easily shed tears, but that they've "trained" themselves to hold back. Society on the whole is to blame because they tend to view tears as a sign of weakness, hence why most men resort to the teenage girl logic when talking about crying.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Of course not! Real men don't cry. ;) Well at least that's what they say. :p

I think it's because it's more socially acceptable for a woman to cry than it is for a man. It's not necessarily true that they can't easily shed tears, but that they've "trained" themselves to hold back. Society on the whole is to blame because they tend to view tears as a sign of weakness, hence why most men resort to the teenage girl logic when talking about crying.
I don't mind crying from a movie, it's happened maybe a handful of times. But I was alone. Otherwise it doesn't feel right. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)