AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
So being a typical working/middle class American my entire life, I've never really had the opportunity to leave the country before. But now that I have disposable income, I'm very strongly considering it, with my first destination being Turin. I want to make sure I do this "right" though. Everyone I know that has traveled to Italy seemed to jump around to different cities after like 2 days, 3 max. Maybe because I don't know anything, but to me that seems like such a waste, you never get to experience what a place has to offer like that I would imagine. So for those that have visited before, do you think a week in Turin is too much? Or perhaps in the whole region of Piedmont itself? Should I hop around like others have done?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So being a typical working/middle class American my entire life, I've never really had the opportunity to leave the country before. But now that I have disposable income, I'm very strongly considering it, with my first destination being Turin. I want to make sure I do this "right" though. Everyone I know that has traveled to Italy seemed to jump around to different cities after like 2 days, 3 max. Maybe because I don't know anything, but to me that seems like such a waste, you never get to experience what a place has to offer like that I would imagine. So for those that have visited before, do you think a week in Turin is too much? Or perhaps in the whole region of Piedmont itself? Should I hop around like others have done?
A week in Turin is too much. Two-three days is fine imo.

Italy has a lot to offer and there are so many little towns that are awesome to visit that it is really hard to give you advice. It would be impossible to take it all in.

Personally, if it was my first time in Italy, I'd spend considerable time in Rome though, it is an amazing city.

Firenze, for some reason, is always incredibly crowded with Americans as is Venice. I don't particularly like either city.

By far the most important thing to do wherever you go in Italy though is to spend time looking for small restaurants where you see mostly locals. The prices will be lower and the food will be out of this world. There is absolutely nothing that comes remotely close to real Italian cuisine (I say 'real' because it has been so poorly copied all over the world). Food is also a very integral part of the Italian way of life, if you want to get to know the country that is what you should focus on.

Never be afraid to ask the people from the restaurant what they recommend, they usually have very strong opinions on their own menu.

Finally, and this is very important, you can only order a cappuccino during breakfast. You drink espresso (caffe) after lunch or dinner, ordering a cappuccino would make you look clueless.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
3 days in Turin is optimal

Don't waste time in Milan even if you fly in to Malpensa from NYC.

Go to Rome.

Go to Florence.

Go eat and enjoy everywhere you go.

Don't make it about football. It's a beautiful country beyond the idiocy of the sport and what it has become.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Couldn‘t have made a better response than @Seven did. I absolutely agree with everything he has said. Most important thing is the restaurant part. Stay away from main streets or places with lots of tourists, take a walk and look for little restaurants with no english menu.

Also what he said about Firenze/Venice: Amazing and very special, but thousands of tourists.

If you like to hang around in Cafés/Bars/Restaurants I‘d recommand Bologna as a city which isn’t that far from Turin or go to the south to Puglia :heart: (Lecce, Bari...) ...and if you like wine (I mean really like wine, you could indeed stay some days in the region of Piedmont (Alba, Asti...) and visit some winegrower.

And if you like laying on the beach for some days, there is a lot beach there, but you‘d have to ask someone else for tips.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Make a 5 year plan:

FIRST TIMER MODE
Year 1: You go to Rome+Florence+Toscana

FOOTBALL FAN MODE
Year 2: You go to Turin, Bergamo (yes Bergamo), Milan

GODFATHER MODE
Year 3: You go to Sicily and maybe Napoli

GERMAN TOURIST MODE
Year 4. You go to Lake Garda + Verona

WITTL MODE
Year 5: You go to some 300 souls village in Calabria and finance your trip with playing guitar on the street

BONUS (AMERICAN MODE)
You go to Venezia

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Couldn‘t have made a better response than @Seven did. I absolutely agree with everything he has said. Most important thing is the restaurant part. Stay away from main streets or places with lots of tourists, take a walk and look for little restaurants with no english menu.

Also what he said about Firenze/Venice: Amazing and very special, but thousands of tourists.

If you like to hang around in Cafés/Bars/Restaurants I‘d recommand Bologna as a city which isn’t that far from Turin or go to the south to Puglia :heart: (Lecce, Bari...) ...and if you like wine (I mean really like wine, you could indeed stay some days in the region of Piedmont (Alba, Asti...) and visit some winegrower.

And if you like laying on the beach for some days, there is a lot beach there, but you‘d have to ask someone else for tips.
Bologna was really nice :tup:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Bologna was really nice :tup:
My parents liked Bologna too. Siena was nice too according to them.

They've been doing this Road trip thingy twice a year, for years now. 14 days, booking every hotel for 1, 2 or 3 days only, and then move on to the next city. Can't think of many Cities they have't been to by now.

Matera and Cinque Terre look absolutely stunning. The former i wanna see myself before all the photographers sucked the good shots out of that place, too late for Cinque Terre obviously.

Last edited:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
My parents liked Bologna too. Siena was nice too according to them.

They've been doing this Road trip thingy twice a year, for years now. 14 days, booking every hotel for 1, 2 or 3 days only, and then move on to the next city. Can't think of many Cities they have't been to by now.

Matera and Cinque Terre look absolutely stunning. The former i wanna see myself before all the photographers sucked the good shots out of that place, too late for Cinque Terre obviously.
Siena is nice, but mostly the entire region around Siena (Southern Tuscany) is a great place to visit.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I've thought about visiting Sardinia.

Anywho, I had the craziest night of sleep ever. Felt sick to my stomach around 7pm so I went to bed. A huge couples fight broke out around 1130pm. Woke up, went back to bed. Woke up again at 2am. Stayed up till 5am. Slept again till 1030am. My stomach doesn't feel sick anymore.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I've thought about visiting Sardinia.

Anywho, I had the craziest night of sleep ever. Felt sick to my stomach around 7pm so I went to bed. A huge couples fight broke out around 1130pm. Woke up, went back to bed. Woke up again at 2am. Stayed up till 5am. Slept again till 1030am. My stomach doesn't feel sick anymore.
Sardinia is beautiful.

Many Italian players have it as their favourite summer destination. Marchisio goes there every year. When people with all the money in the world choose to spend their vacation there that tells you something. If you ever do visit Sardinia, I'd advise to visit Corsica too. Very different vibe, but easily one of my favourite spots in Europe.

The food in Sardinia is not as good as in the rest of the countey though and it 'feels' less Italian if that makes any sense.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Sardinia is beautiful.

Many Italian players have it as their favourite summer destination. Marchisio goes there every year. When people with all the money in the world choose to spend their vacation there that tells you something. If you ever do visit Sardinia, I'd advise to visit Corsica too. Very different vibe, but easily one of my favourite spots in Europe.

The food in Sardinia is not as good as in the rest of the countey though and it 'feels' less Italian if that makes any sense.

One of my best friends in Mexico was an older lady from Sardinia. She's a retired chef, so I've had a good amount of the food. It's pretty great even if it's not typical Italian. I also, think it's cool that the most centurions per capita are from Sardinia. I'm planning a trip for January, but I think I'm leaning more toward a Mexico, Costa Rica visit rather than Europe, but we will see. It's a ways off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 960)