'what are you currently listening to' Part 2 (22 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Some of it is pretty great imo, but not everything is memorable. Anyway, let me know what you think!
Yeah it's defenitely no masterpiece, but I really liked it, at least most parts. Some tracks feel a little bit experamentive to me, if you get what I mean, with breaks and rhythmic changes towards the final third of the song, which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.

Tracks I liked best: Wishin, PRhryme, You Should Know (except for the hook), Courtesy.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Yeah it's defenitely no masterpiece, but I really liked it, at least most parts. Some tracks feel a little bit experamentive to me, if you get what I mean, with breaks and rhythmic changes towards the final third of the song, which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.

Tracks I liked best: Wishin, PRhryme, Courtesy.
Agreed, especially Courtesy. Don't understand why Wishin and U Looz have the same beats though. Think I prefer U Looz.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
@Völler @Ocelot So I was listening to Prhyme, and took a complete and utter break (wasnt feeling it except one or two), as soon as I heard one song from another hard underground album that dropped today too (its a good day, J.Cole, Ghostface Killah, Prhyme and few others dropping albums this very day), got instantly hooked.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
:tup: Nice flow they got there. Though the last one needs to work on his breathing a little I think :D

And Ghostface's new album is great btw. I like it more than what we've heard from the new Wu-tang album honestly.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Last one is chris rivers, he has gotten quite fatter so not suprised he has harder breathing :D Termanology is real solid lyrical dude though, try his whole new album, is quite good, would recommend that song, streetwise, thug muzik and I'm good from it.

New Wu tang clan album is trash, sad to say about legends, except two ok songs. Still listening fully to Ghost face's album, but its very good, its oddly fitting he mixed it with live instruments, and it has a very vivid ongoing story (he even released a comic book with the album, cool). blood on the streets, double cross (these two with AZ features that he absolutely owns) and dogs of war absolute gems so far, plus nice rnb feature (whats a Ghost album without little rnb soul to it) with the song love dont live here no more.

I listened to Prhyme more, like it more even soundwise its too experimental for me, but lyrically its INSANE, dat sound good is nice mainly due to ab-soul (meh at mac miller), u looz prolly dopest of all, wishin has this cool way of changing the beat with the flow, and Royce (thats pretty ridicolously off the hook in pretty all songs) goes in and fully competes with Common on it. You should know its the most chill track in the little EP (not fully an album IMO), courtesy most clean song production wise of all. And lastly the one with Jay Electronica is nice/ok, the title track and the two last songs Underground king and mic preem I dont feel at all.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I listened to Prhyme more, like it more even soundwise its too experimental for me, but lyrically its INSANE, dat sound good is nice mainly due to ab-soul (meh at mac miller), u looz prolly dopest of all, wishin has this cool way of changing the beat with the flow, and Royce (thats pretty ridicolously off the hook in pretty all songs) goes in and fully competes with Common on it. You should know its the most chill track in the little EP (not fully an album IMO), courtesy most clean song production wise of all. And lastly the one with Jay Electronica is nice/ok, the title track and the two last songs Underground king and mic preem I dont feel at all.
Pretty much my feelings as well :tup:
It doesn't feel quite "finished" or refined, and the tracks are often hit and miss, but there are a few great ones.

What happened to Wu-Tang the past decade is pretty sad imo, they haven't by far been the only rap-group/rapper who couldn't really follow up their first few amazing releases with equally good ones, but with them the contrast between their glory days and their current state is probably the most striking. That's why I was so positively surprised with 36 Seasons, my expectations weren't too high honestly. Pieces of a Puzzle (also ft. AZ) is one of my faves as well, but it's also one of these tracks were I can imagine a lot of people not liking it as well :D

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah its sad, I been mainly listening to their solo work anyways most of their careers besides the the old gems, but last effort they released was just sad...Obviously carried by few of their heavy weights, and RZA being more of an actor then a musician past decade has effected the music of the group in general, mostly the weaker members who relied on his productions.

The past is the past, better off trying to find new gems, I cant wate for this new kid Vince Staples album next year, his EP last month (or two months ago), which this first song is from was dope, plus his signature song in the 2nd one. New blood with real west coast sound.

Let the monkey out the cage he got a gun...he got a book he got a brain u better run

"A penny saved is a penny earned
So I'll be stackin up this copper as the city burn"

Cold :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)