'what are you currently listening to' Part 2 (97 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
best song in the LP was produced by eminem, nuff said

Or

Either way, goes hard as fuck.

This album doesnt get real enough cred for having so many heavy frigging tunes, due to its cookie cute mainstream appeal and hype machine it had back then, which ironically led to ppl sleeping on how consistently excellent it is outside its few hit singles (that were all top songs anyways).

Its not a classic in sense of being totally awing piece of album, but its defenitely one of the milestones of the genre due to its importance when it came out, and starting the heavy wave of putting the genre even more on the mainstream map, that in overall came with 50's emergence.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Or

Either way, goes hard as fuck.

This album doesnt get real enough cred for having so many heavy frigging tunes, due to its cookie cute mainstream appeal and hype machine it had back then, which ironically led to ppl sleeping on how consistently excellent it is outside its few hit singles (that were all top songs anyways).

Its not a classic in sense of being totally awing piece of album, but its defenitely one of the milestones of the genre due to its importance when it came out, and starting the heavy wave of putting the genre even more on the mainstream map, that in overall came with 50's emergence.

'many men' and i was actually dissing the album, 50 didnt even write his shit which takes every ounce of cred he could have as a rapper. The thing with 50 is hes a perfect front, he lived the street life.

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-hze1txQo#t=101

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Many men werent solo prod by Em though. And oh I know he didnt write most of the stuff (or if he did he had co-writers anyways) and got everything handpicked produced for him, though I still rate him as a rapper, not being for being genuinely real MC or shit like that, obvious he is a poser businessman, but that he rarely fails with his delieveries on the mic. He has delivered enough excellent rap songs to not give him props. Co-writers or not.

I used to dislike the album besides many men/the party tunes when it came out, generally being a hater, but years later realized how good it really is when I gave it a real listen (many men, 21 questions, dont push me, I cant, patiently waiting etc).

Also like this from the album:

And hard to not like him with songs like this:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
50 didnt even write his shit which takes every ounce of cred he could have as a rapper. The thing with 50 is hes a perfect front, he lived the street life.
This.

Rappers who don't write their own lyrics are kinda pathetic imo. I know 50 Cent isn't by far the only who uses ghostwriters (I'm looking at you Dr. Dre), but that doesn't make it any better.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
They arent ghost writers, atleast in this album, they are credited. Ghostwriters are those who try to hide it. Dre does. Someone like Diddy has an army of writing staff, and they are all rap stars/accomplishes MCs lol.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Many men werent solo prod by Em though. And oh I know he didnt write most of the stuff (or if he did he had co-writers anyways) and got everything handpicked produced for him, though I still rate him as a rapper, not being for being genuinely real MC or shit like that, obvious he is a poser businessman, but that he rarely fails with his delieveries on the mic. He has delivered enough excellent rap songs to not give him props. Co-writers or not.

I used to dislike the album besides many men/the party tunes when it came out, generally being a hater, but years later realized how good it really is when I gave it a real listen (many men, 21 questions, dont push me, I cant, patiently waiting etc).

Also like this from the album:

And hard to not like him with songs like this:

i like that shit too in a club or the gym, but would not consider it a classic personally

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
They arent ghost writers, atleast in this album, they are credited. Ghostwriters are those who try to hide it. Dre does. Someone like Diddy has an army of writing staff, and they are all rap stars/accomplishes MCs lol.
What I meant was just him not writing (most of) his lyrics himself, though I guess not trying to hide it makes it a little better. Dre at least is one of the best producers in the game, but 50 Cent in my eyes isn't really more than an actor, who's become a famous rapper not because of his skills or lyricism but because of his image.

Again, I don't even think that Get Rich or Die Trying is bad or anything, particularly the beats are great, but it's not a real classic, not by far.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Oh if its the classic bit you contending, just saying some I know let how much he sells/is mainstream cloud their judgement at times, and forget that he makes really good rap music still.

- - - Updated - - -

but 50 Cent in my eyes isn't really more than an actor, who's become a famous rapper not because of his skills or lyricism but because of his image.
Defenitely disagree with this, yeah alot of his success is due to his image, but you dont become a platinum selling MC a decade and half in the game just acting like you can rap, without actually rapping, he has been consistent besides semi-retiring, stop caring and becoming just a bussinessman for years and years. But do you know why I know he can rap? Besides listening to stuff he released when he came up for real as studio artists, he was absolutely RAW as underground rapper with the mixtapes, defenitely done enough on the mic to qualify him as more then an actor. He doesnt have to be a personal favourite, isnt mine either, nor does he say anything really interesting or that intriciate lyrically, but as a gangster rapper who tells stories in good and entertaining tongue in cheek way way in his medium (remember getting a quite a laugh from below song when it was new :D), yeah he defneitely can rap, thats where he has made his mark. And not as some actor/CEO type only like Diddy.

So many rappers replied to him lol

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
How about you guys recommend him newer less obvious excellent albums to him instead :D

Listen to Crooked at 02.00 :tup:

Em of these pasts years have such an INSANELY ANNOYING voice, I dont know what he is trying to get at with the such a pipsqueke voice he is making on purpose, but its distracting.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
:sick:

We Can't Be Stopped
Champion Sound
Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Kill At Will

:cool:

Top 5:
Madvillainy
The Chronic
Ready To Die
Illmatic
Straight Outta Compton

:cool:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I like all of those, to various degrees (not too into madvillainy and the geto boys album) and listened to them. But more importantly.....You dont like anything released in past 20 years? :D Because the Jaylib collab album is newest of what you mentionned, and its from 2000. Listening to classics or 90s golden nostalgia is one thing, but its not all that the genre offers.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I like all of those, to various degrees (not too into madvillainy and the geto boys album) and listened to them. But more importantly.....You dont like anything released in past 20 years? :D Because the Jaylib collab album is newest of what you mentionned, and its from 2000. Listening to classics or 90s golden nostalgia is one thing, but its not all that the genre offers.
Madvillainy is 2004

But not really into much newer stuff. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib for example is good.

Most newer stuff is just 'rap', not hip-hop. Very little artistry imo.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I don't know why, but I just don't really like the sound of post 2005 Hip-Hop. I can't really say it's objectively worse or anything, but the more high pitched, electronic beats with the sometimes "delayed" rhythms (don't know how to explain it any better, but both songs you posted are prefect examples) just doesn't sound that good to me. Apart from Immortal Technique and, to a lesser extent, Vinnie Paz, the most recent albums I actually liked were Late Registration and Food & Liquor. Perhaps Life is Good as well.

Edit: Forgot Hell Hath no Fury

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You into my good books again after saying Freddie Gibbs :D Madlib is easy, everyone who heard his productions likes him automatically. But seriously, it requires a little effort, but theres TONS of good quality shit released everywhere, let alone in last decade, just dont look for them in radio airplay, which I doubt you would anyways. But I dislike the notion of just grapping hold of the old greats and not bothering to search for good stuff now and assume it isnt out there just because it isnt delivered to you on a plate. Even if so far 2014, atleast album wise, is one of the weakest years in Hiphop (2013 was good).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why, but I just don't really like the sound of post 2005 Hip-Hop. I can't really say it's objectively worse or anything, but the more high pitched, electronic beats with the sometimes "delayed" rhythms (don't know how to explain it any better, but both songs you posted are prefect examples) just doesn't sound that good to me. Apart from Immortal Technique and, to a lesser extent, Vinnie Paz, the most recent albums I actually liked were Late Registration and Food & Liquor. Perhaps Life is Good as well.
I hear you about the sound, it gets getting used to. I generally I try all new stuff (most songs I post in this thread tend to be new music I just heard, like the above two guys, released within last week or so), even the ok-so-so stuff really, but regarding albums, you missing on ALOT if you think those are the last good albums. Vinnie Paz being quite dissapointing for me for a while (even his concert I saw few months ago, R.A Ruggedman, his opening act, was alot better), and I'm rarely dissappointed by underground hiphop, you allways know what you get with them. But in general I would say the same to you as I did with Zozo, there's more then plenty of good rap music to be find, wethers its in mixtapes, underground, or studio album releases, it wont be all in mainstream (it can be, like Kendricks classic debute album), but its there.

- - - Updated - - -

For example a song like this was just released (love the production more then anything):

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
You into my good books again after saying Freddie Gibbs :D Madlib is easy, everyone who heard his productions likes him automatically. But seriously, it requires a little effort, but theres TONS of good quality shit released everywhere, let alone in last decade, just dont look for them in radio airplay, which I doubt you would anyways. But I dislike the notion of just grapping hold of the old greats and not bothering to search for good stuff now and assume it isnt out there just because it isnt delivered to you on a plate. Even if so far 2014, atleast album wise, is one of the weakest years in Hiphop (2013 was good).
I wasn't already? :confused:

Well I'm sure there is, but a bit hard to find, I just find I like the older stuff easier anyway.

I don't really like that song you liked there, it's not bad but I don't think that's good.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Em of these pasts years have such an INSANELY ANNOYING voice, I dont know what he is trying to get at with the such a pipsqueke voice he is making on purpose, but its distracting.
Don't you think his flow is the problem? His voice was much lighter in the beginning of his career compared to now. I really think his flow is much worse now. It was so fluent before. Now it's aggressive - like he's trying to butcher every word to make his wordplay stand out. Man, I miss old Eminem.

Also, agreed. How to Rob is a classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think Get Rich or...' is a classic. In Da Club is though. And Patiently Waiting is great too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 97)