[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (4 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
ya seriously the way the dutch took their pk's and this freak keeper, no one will want to go the whole 120 mins with them
certainly not the Argies :p ... but let's not forget the Germans are PK freaks on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is funny since this was the first time in their history the won a shootout.
:agree: not sure if the first but they are known to crumble at PKs

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
The whole situation was funny. The Dutch were the ones who wanted to avoid penalties at any cost, since there it's 50-50 while they knew that they are the better team and they shouldn't allow a 50-50 situation. That was the reason why LVG put a striker for a defender in the 2nd ET. That was a huge gamble and it almost cost them a lot, because prior to that substitution Costa Rica had no access to the final third. After the big defender went out, Costa Rica found more space on counters and almost scored. The GK substitution now seems like master piece, but it surely has a story behind it and the Dutch probably had it prepared before hand, maybe even prior to arriving to Brazil. I guess Krul is a good PK stopper, while the other one isn't.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'm pretty sure, besides Krul being the better goalie in general (IMO atleast of what I seen of both), that Krul was simply better at preparing for the pks before the match, pretty sure he was more adept at doing his homework and analyzing where the Costa Ricans would shoot etc. He was defenitely acting like he knew what the players habits was to them with his trollish gestures (I see where you will shoot kind of body language). Plus its mental game to put in a goalie JUST FOR PKS, that in itself was mind game to unnerve the opposition.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
The whole situation was funny. The Dutch were the ones who wanted to avoid penalties at any cost, since there it's 50-50 while they knew that they are the better team and they shouldn't allow a 50-50 situation. That was the reason why LVG put a striker for a defender in the 2nd ET. That was a huge gamble and it almost cost them a lot, because prior to that substitution Costa Rica had no access to the final third. After the big defender went out, Costa Rica found more space on counters and almost scored. The GK substitution now seems like master piece, but it surely has a story behind it and the Dutch probably had it prepared before hand, maybe even prior to arriving to Brazil. I guess Krul is a good PK stopper, while the other one isn't.
Van Gaal said he told Krul he would come on if it went to penalties and the game allowed him to save the sub. He also said he didn't tell Cillessen about this and told Krul to stay quiet about it too, obviously. Cillessen never saw it coming and was quite pissed as he was subbed.

Van Gaal is trolling the world during this WC and it's somehow working game after game. :D

Fucking Van Persie though, not sure what was going on with him today, he really really should've scored. Sneijder was better than he had been and Robben.. well.. Beast mode.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I'm pretty sure, besides Krul being the better goalie in general (IMO atleast of what I seen of both), that Krul was simply better at preparing for the pks before the match, pretty sure he was more adept at doing his homework and analyzing where the Costa Ricans would shoot etc. He was defenitely acting like he knew what the players habits was to them with his trollish gestures (I see where you will shoot kind of body language). Plus its mental game to put in a goalie JUST FOR PKS, that in itself was mind game to unnerve the opposition.
PKs are a totally dif animal - some GKs have the feel for it and are really good at it and then there is everyone else. Krul is of the former. I very much doubt his getting right 5/5 had anything to do with extra prep or film study but a matter of approach - he never guessed but waited to the last moment to see where the ball was going. Sure, that way he would be late to the ball on a really well struck Pk but how often can you save such a Pk even if you guessed right and jumped earlier? His way, however, he has a very high chance of saving the imperfect/savable PKs and usually there are quite a few of those with exhaustion and nerves so often getting the best of players in such situations.

And I agree that Krul is the better GK altogether, not just PKs. Not sure why he isn't starting ... maybe just a matter of keeping a good streak going.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
PKs are a totally dif animal - some GKs have the feel for it and are really good at it and then there is everyone else. Krul is of the former. I very much doubt his getting right 5/5 had anything to do with extra prep or film study but a matter of approach - he never guessed but waited to the last moment to see where the ball was going. Sure, that way he would be late to the ball on a really well struck Pk but how often can you save such a Pk even if you guessed right and jumped earlier? His way, however, he has a very high chance of saving the imperfect/savable PKs and usually there are quite a few of those with exhaustion and nerves so often getting the best of players in such situations.

And I agree that Krul is the better GK altogether, not just PKs. Not sure why he isn't starting ... maybe just a matter of keeping a good streak going.
He said that's exactly how he does it; he waits and then reacts, instead of choosing a corner. He also said that they did watch the video of Costa Rica's penalty shootout against Greece, but that it didn't really change anything for him, he just did it his own way.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

I haven't seen the previous GK at all before so I can't say I think Krul is better. But I like the Van Gaal approach of having certain players for certain tasks. Gives it a bit of an American football feel :D

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
He said that's exactly how he does it; he waits and then reacts, instead of choosing a corner. He also said that they did watch the video of Costa Rica's penalty shootout against Greece, but that it didn't really change anything for him, he just did it his own way.
that's interesting 'cause what I said above was exactly what I and some friends were discussing maybe some days ago during another PK shootout (Greece - Cr, iirc).
It's the smart way of going about PKs, imo. It's really a matter of playing the percentages.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen the previous GK at all before so I can't say I think Krul is better. But I like the Van Gaal approach of having certain players for certain tasks. Gives it a bit of an American football feel :D
special teams' captain ftw :p

Monco

C.R.E.A.M
Mar 27, 2013
Reasons behind that genius substitution are simple. First of all, Cillessen has never saved a penalty in his career. 0/16 if I remember correctly, 2/20 for Krul. You could say the difference is small, but you definitely have much more confidence when you have saved at least a few rather than not a single one. Secondly, Krul is 2 inches taller than Cillessen. Kind of self explainatory, bigger wing span, easier to save. Even the ones he didn't manage to save were pretty close. Finally, EPL experience > Eredivisie experience. Although this season was not the best for Krul, he still played against some best attackers in the world, meanwhile Cillessen's biggest challenges this season were those 3 Champions League group matches.

Generally, it's just a brilliant move from the whole team. LvG clearly had this idea long time ago, he had the balls to pull it off, because no one in the WC history has ever done this and now we can say he nailed it. I've read that it was actually goalkeeper's coach who gave the instructions to Van Gaal, there were a couple of seconds when broadcasters showed us Krul and GK's coach warming up prior to penalty shoot-out and it was clear already that this substitution is not improvised.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Hehe, I can barely remember anything from that tournament :p

All the teams lack quality, imo. I'm bored.
That young huh?

This WC has strong Germany, quite tactically astute Dutchies, okish Brasil and Argentina that looked like a real team for once.

Essentially 4 big footie nations. Even if yes they are rather boring bunch...

WC 2002 had a very good Brasil, very average Germany and Turkey and South Korea :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)