[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (6 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jul 1, 2010
Van Gaal :delpiero:

- - - Updated - - -

Reasons behind that genius substitution are simple. First of all, Cillessen has never saved a penalty in his career. 0/16 if I remember correctly, 2/20 for Krul. You could say the difference is small, but you definitely have much more confidence when you have saved at least a few rather than not a single one. Secondly, Krul is 2 inches taller than Cillessen. Kind of self explainatory, bigger wing span, easier to save. Even the ones he didn't manage to save were pretty close. Finally, EPL experience > Eredivisie experience. Although this season was not the best for Krul, he still played against some best attackers in the world, meanwhile Cillessen's biggest challenges this season were those 3 Champions League group matches.

Generally, it's just a brilliant move from the whole team. LvG clearly had this idea long time ago, he had the balls to pull it off, because no one in the WC history has ever done this and now we can say he nailed it. I've read that it was actually goalkeeper's coach who gave the instructions to Van Gaal, there were a couple of seconds when broadcasters showed us Krul and GK's coach warming up prior to penalty shoot-out and it was clear already that this substitution is not improvised.
It was also psychological, this was making the Costa Rican players think that they were going to face a penalty shootout monster, whereas Krul has only saved 2 out of 20 penalties for Newcastle. Just a bloody genius move by Van Gaal.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Hehe, I can barely remember anything from that tournament :p

All the teams lack quality, imo. I'm bored.
you pay too much attention to clinically depressed people wasting their time with BS arguments in this neck of the woods. Quality is not absolute but relative and subjective. This Dutch team is not as good as the ones in the 70s or 90s in terms of individuals but are a better team and probably have a better shot at winning the title than either of those previous generations. Germany is Germany, while Brazil and Argentina are showing signs of finding an extra gear at the right time and could well troll the Europeans for an all SA final.
In short, get a fucking grip and enjoy the show ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)