The worrying lack of spirit since Pavel departed... (2 Viewers)

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
:lol:

I have to say, people who worship their drug of choice so publicly -- whether through sweet leaf T-shirts, Homer Simpson with beer, or Lindsay Lohan and cocaine -- never is a pretty picture.

They're always the last to realize that -- to those who don't share the same love of the drug -- it's as if they wore a sign proclaiming, "I've lost control of my bowels and I'm proud of it!"

I guess some things are better left in private...
i think hasselhoff is the figurehead of the past generation and the future generations to come. he barely beat out the great pat sajak

thats right i said it.

OP
Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #64
    Burroughs died of a heart attack at the age of 83.
    Marley died of melanoma at the age of 36.
    Thompson blew his brains out with a shotgun and a bottle of wild turkey at the age of 68.
    Morrison and Hendrix died at the age of 28 after overdosing on smack.

Of these guys Marley was the only one who died from something not attributed to his lifestyle. Now I'm pretty much for the legalization of marijauna, but let's not go glorifying those who don't deserve it. Burroughs and Thompson had long brackets of their careers where they were hardly productive or not at all. Morrison and Hendrix both spiraled out of control and their music suffered toward the end. Morrison's final work done in a Paris studio was labelled as "drunken gibberish".

All of these guys were geniuses, but the tools that expanded there minds also became the limiting factor in their lives. The truth is had they been able to keep there shit together, the possibilities were endless.
    Of course deaths are related to lifestyle...that is surely patently obvious. The truth is more likely to be that these men would have produced less had they remained piously anti poisons. Thompson could indeed write like a King when he was barely a teenager. he was blessed with sublime, precocious natural talent...but he was truth seeker, and to deal with the quest for truth, he used various substances. Partly to help ease the stress of delving into the shitpool of Reality, but also, because he enjoyed changing his state of mind and body and feelings...Without drugs, he would never have hit it off so magnificently with steadman. without drugs he would not have had the relationship with Acosta, there would be no fear and loathing...either in las vegas or on the campaign trail.

His death was down to a serious desire to escape from Life. His body was ailing, as happens fairly regularly to 67 year olds, most of his closest friends were dying or dead, and the world around him seemed too cold and ugly for his continued participation. At a very early age he had written, and told many people, that he could not keep on living were he not in possession of the power to end his life at any point of his choosing. Hardly heroic, but far removed from drug addled nonsense...

To fail to understand the importance of drugs in the lives of Burroughs, Thompson, Bukowksi...and yes, I am including alcohol as a drug...is to fail to understand them as men, and their art. of course I understand that appreciation of these artists, any artists, is subjective. But to me, as an aspiring wordsmith, they are as close to demi gods as I have, other than...Alexander the Great, ghengis Khan and perhaps Attila the Hun.

Drugs were part of their lifestyles, the writers, not Warrior Kings, and it was their lifestyle which gave them the richness which appeared so vibrantly in their writing.

I am not screaming Marijuana is wicked!!! all drugs are great!!!!...i never would do so. I was merely trying to explain that to label ALL stoners as mindless, was disgracefully innacurate.

Apr 12, 2004
    Of course deaths are related to lifestyle...that is surely patently obvious. The truth is more likely to be that these men would have produced less had they remained piously anti poisons. Thompson could indeed write like a King when he was barely a teenager. he was blessed with sublime, precocious natural talent...but he was truth seeker, and to deal with the quest for truth, he used various substances. Partly to help ease the stress of delving into the shitpool of Reality, but also, because he enjoyed changing his state of mind and body and feelings...Without drugs, he would never have hit it off so magnificently with steadman. without drugs he would not have had the relationship with Acosta, there would be no fear and loathing...either in las vegas or on the campaign trail.

His death was down to a serious desire to escape from Life. His body was ailing, as happens fairly regularly to 67 year olds, most of his closest friends were dying or dead, and the world around him seemed too cold and ugly for his continued participation. At a very early age he had written, and told many people, that he could not keep on living were he not in possession of the power to end his life at any point of his choosing. Hardly heroic, but far removed from drug addled nonsense...

To fail to understand the importance of drugs in the lives of Burroughs, Thompson, Bukowksi...and yes, I am including alcohol as a drug...is to fail to understand them as men, and their art. of course I understand that appreciation of these artists, any artists, is subjective. But to me, as an aspiring wordsmith, they are as close to demi gods as I have, other than...Alexander the Great, ghengis Khan and perhaps Attila the Hun.

Drugs were part of their lifestyles, the writers, not Warrior Kings, and it was their lifestyle which gave them the richness which appeared so vibrantly in their writing.

I am not screaming Marijuana is wicked!!! all drugs are great!!!!...i never would do so. I was merely trying to explain that to label ALL stoners as mindless, was disgracefully innacurate.
    I love how you have successfully gotten into a conversation of an off topic nature with the "cretin brigade" when you stated you neither wanted one or would be pulled into one. Not only that, but it has ruined your thread, good going, Randall.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    That is exactly what I mean...another mindless moron unable to supply a decent response, so picks something that other mindless morons will look at and say
    'yeh man...he got powned...i bet amauri has a giant cock !!! hahahahah' and feels value.

Good show, old boy!

ahhh...i am here to talk about the team, not allow myself to become entangled with the cretin brigade...
    Eh, fuck you buddy, this forum is great because of the wackiness
    Your assertion lacks logic. Marijuana enlivens the mind, it adds energy to the psyche. If anything, the main popular poison which disables and enfeebles mental prowess is alcohol, without any doubt.

To call me perverse, unalterably focused on women, perhaps mildly self righteous at times...would all be in some way acceptable. But mindless...nobody who knows me would ever employ such drivel, because clearly, my mind is potent, and if anything overly hectic not lacking momentum and versatility, whether I am stoned or not.
    Oh come on man, I used to be a huge stoner back in high school but then I grew up and realized that being stoned all day really isn't a great way to live. I used to talk up weed and say it opened my mind and other BS but after sobering up I realized I was just a fucking idiot who got high all the time and thought it gave me some higher level of understanding. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with weed, I still smoke occasionally because it relaxes me and helps me sleep but all this enlivening the mind and adding to the psyche stuff is just stupid. Marijuania is just a plant that you smoke and it gets you high, its nothing special, it doesn't make you smarter you need to realize that your just high. My advice to you is enjoy it, I'm not saying you should stop smoking but don't talk about it likes it something it isn't. I like smoking weed, but "hardcore stoners" are just idiots, the only reason I smoked so much in high school was because I live in a small ass town and that was all anybody I know does around here
    :lol:

I have to say, people who worship their drug of choice so publicly -- whether through sweet leaf T-shirts, Homer Simpson with beer, or Lindsay Lohan and cocaine -- never is a pretty picture.

They're always the last to realize that -- to those who don't share the same love of the drug -- it's as if they wore a sign proclaiming, "I've lost control of my bowels and I'm proud of it!"

I guess some things are better left in private...
    I agree completely, Marijuana is fine but people who talk nonstop about it, name their forum name after it and try to present themselves as proud to be a stoner are nothing but annoying

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
    1. Burke what's your beef with weed you straight edge mother fucker :p?

2. Weed Guru this is not 'Big Footy' forum. You don't just start a new thread over anything that comes to your head. Stop it.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    ßüякε;2192780 said:
    You are the self-proclaimed stoner, which, by definition, means you are just as mindless.
    ßüякε;2192785 said:
    Pot Head 1: Like bro....like what are we going to do about spirit...and like without Pavel, it's like major bummer, dude...

Pot Head 2: I like............. want to get some popcorn first. DUDE, who's Pavel?
    Are you from Texas or something?

Besides Daniel sounds nothing like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)