The truth about Beijing Olympics (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
:lol:

Beijing fury at Aussies' smog boycott

BEIJING Olympic authorities are shocked and dismayed at Athletics Australia's decision to ban track and field competitors from marching at the opening ceremony, partly because of fears that the city's pollution will harm their health and performance.

It is the first pollution-related boycott, and the decision has upset some of the Australian athletes who will miss the ceremony on August 8, instead remaining in training camps in Japan and Hong Kong until ready to compete.

"Wow, you're kidding," said the spokesman for the Beijing Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, Jeff Ruffolo, on hearing the news yesterday from the Herald. "That's the first time we've heard anything about athletes themselves pulling out of the opening ceremony."

Beijing is one of the world's most polluted cities, but it is introducing drastic anti-pollution measures, and it believes it is being unfairly singled out compared with previous host cities.

"For example, in Los Angeles in 1984, when conditions were considerably worse," Mr Ruffolo said. "The smog was impenetrable, but the Games turned out sparklingly - because people left the city."

Athletics Australia's national performance manager, Max Binnington, said yesterday that pollution was a problem, and while he understood some athletes were upset, he had to ensure they performed at their peak.

"We have had athletes come back from a recent test event and one athlete has got 10 days off training because of a respiratory problem," he told ABC radio. "We don't want our athletes to be undertaking that sort of risk."

But last night Mr Binnington - clearly fearing a diplomatic fallout - backtracked and told the Herald it was not about pollution but ensuring the team had a stable training environment.

"Never was it intended to be a criticism of China, the Chinese Government or the Beijing Olympic Committee," he said. "We think they will put on a wonderful show and they will do anything to minimise the inconenience for athletes. We wouldn't be going to Hong Kong if we thought there was something wrong with China, and this isn't the first time we've gone in late."

Sensitivity on the subject is so acute in China that news photographers have recently refused to work on polluted days for fear of official retribution. Hosting a successful Olympics is a top national priority, and China's leaders will be anxious to avoid an environmental boycott of the ceremony on top of the Tibet-related political boycotts that some world leaders have already threatened.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
So, China fans. How do you guys feel aiding Sudanese murderers who commit blatant genocide across a land that isn't yours?

This is why China shouldn't have the Olympics.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I was actually in Beijing when the vote was going on. I was wondering why all those C-130s at Beijing Capital Intl Airport were being loaded up with pallets of krugerrands. :confused:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
If the Olympics is that entertaining I'll be well chuffed.

You couldn't really see the pollution or the human rights protesters getting the shit kicked out of them, though.

lavenderguy

Feb 28, 2005
every year, thousands died, children lost their parents, women got rapped because of racism idea.
I hope there's no racist in this Juventus forum or else it is a sad sad thing

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
why Olympics shouldn;t exist? give me one good reason?
Because the world shouldn't lend their financial support for oppression and bullying, for one. The Moscow Olympics in 1980 was the last big mistake of this caliber, though you could argue Berlin 1936 was the worst.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
why Olympics shouldn;t exist? give me one good reason?
Because the world shouldn't lend their financial support for oppression and bullying, for one. The Moscow Olympics in 1980 was the last big mistake of this caliber, though you could argue Berlin 1936 was the worst.
Exactly. Not to mention the fact besides all the human rights issues, China is a very unsanitary place. 99% of their rivers are badly polluted and the air quality is simply pitiful. What they should have done was built the outdoor stadiums in the middle of the countryside to at least protect the athletes from that horrible smog, but then in that case they would have to deal with contaminated water.

I mean, doctors are going to start encouraging people to smoke in China just to inhale something better than their own air in the coming years..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It could have been, but Jesse Owens made it pretty sweet.

China's not just a bad choice, it's a fucking disaster. There's not a nation I hate more in the world than China. I won't try to hide it, I simply hate just about everything from China. I also hate 90% of all the Chinese I have ever met (that is, Chinese from China) as they are not only poorly educated, but quite barbaric and arrogant towards others. The whole nation is retarded and the biggest (as in good) achievements of China were more than 1000 years ago.

As for the human rights issue, you can't expect to see respect for human rights in a country where a human being, an individual, has no importance whatsoever. As is the case with some parts of Islam, some structural changes should occur in Chinese culture.

AlexTheGreat

May 10, 2006
It could have been, but Jesse Owens made it pretty sweet.

China's not just a bad choice, it's a fucking disaster. There's not a nation I hate more in the world than China. I won't try to hide it, I simply hate just about everything from China. I also hate 90% of all the Chinese I have ever met (that is, Chinese from China) as they are not only poorly educated, but quite barbaric and arrogant towards others. The whole nation is retarded and the biggest (as in good) achievements of China were more than 1000 years ago.

As for the human rights issue, you can't expect to see respect for human rights in a country where a human being, an individual, has no importance whatsoever. As is the case with some parts of Islam, some structural changes should occur in Chinese culture.
if u hate China so much and everything from China, so would u please stop using paper forever or anything contain gunpowders?

There is no such a country or people suffered so much in the past than the Chinese, and the wills of the Chinese to survive and live well are much more stronger than any others on this planet, and as a non-chinese you cannt understand and never will

AlexTheGreat

May 10, 2006
i read somewhere that more than half of the scottish dont want independance. and even if they did, i doubt london would send military there. tibet didnt exactly asked to be occupied, did it?
and I read somewhere that 90% of the tibetan dont want independance, how about that?

China have never occupied tibet but regained the sovereignty in this area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)