The Del Piero Factor (3 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #43
    Very interesting and provoking point Andy. :tup:

I'm interested to know your answer to it. How would you propose to solve this problem.
    Well, the obvious remedy for Del Piero not being able to produce anymore is to diversify the team, meaning we have to change up the tactics or player selections to create more in the absence of Alex. It's obvious this player is basically responsible for creating the majority of our chances along with Camoranesi, because as we have seen we don't have any chemistry as a team. None whatsoever. So, if Alex cannot regain his amazing form of last season, we will be in trouble as we don't have the wherewithall as a team to create the goals; we rely on individual brilliance which is a risky thing to do. The obvious tool at our disposal is Sebastian Giovinco. If he can produce as he did during the midweek against virtually anybody, the problem is solved.

But I just do not understand why we are so shockingly poor with the ball. Even with Sissoko and Poulsen on the pitch we should be able to manage a little more fluidity than this, but we always seem to struggle, which stems from Ranieri's tactics. You have to wonder what Ranieri does during practice, because it's clear to me that working on moving the ball as a team is something that we never do during training. Hell, by looking at how the players interact with the others on the pitch (with miscues and strange decisions alike), I don't even know if Ranieri lets them play in scrimmages. And I find that very worrying.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #44
    And by the way, I am in no way suggesting Del Piero is done as a player. I think that, sadly, goes to Nedved. Alex is just so crucial to our results that this topic should be discussed.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    i see where you are coming from andy but i think that it is time to address the wider issue here,that is our team is aging badly and we are still relying on the same players to produce the same magic that they did in their pomp.

cast your mind back 3-4 years to Juve under Capello,we had a similar set-up in that we had 2 holding players in midfield and an attacking quartet in Nedved,camo,Delpie and Trez. now i am sure you will all agree that we played some pretty sterile football under capello's regime,there was little room for flair unless one of these 4 players pulled apiece of magic out of the air. however there was at least a bit of support from the full-backs who bombed forward to suppliment the attack at every opportunity.

compare that team with our current preferred starting 11 and you will see that the engine room is very similar,2 very strong,industrious players with limited ball distribution yet we are still relying on the same 4 players (in our strongest line-up) to produce the magic,this is the real problem! all these guys are heading into the twilight of their careers,they have all had repeated injury worries over their careers(we all know that this is when they will begin to take their toll) they have all lost a bit of pace and with that some of their dynamic/explosive power to hurt teams. despite all this we still expect them to be on the top of their games and punish teams the way they did in their 20's, unfortunately we are witnessing these great players demise and unless the BOD acts urgently to bring in fresh faces in january i forsee a long winter.
    it is not del piero's fault he is not in top form,it is simply nature!

there is no doubt that giovinco and amauri are the future for Juve,the problem is they need to be the present and they need to be supplimented with reinforcements because the stars that have brought us so much glory in the past are beginning to fade.....

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    i see where you are coming from andy but i think that it is time to address the wider issue here,that is our team is aging badly and we are still relying on the same players to produce the same magic that they did in their pomp.

cast your mind back 3-4 years to Juve under Capello,we had a similar set-up in that we had 2 holding players in midfield and an attacking quartet in Nedved,camo,Delpie and Trez. now i am sure you will all agree that we played some pretty sterile football under capello's regime,there was little room for flair unless one of these 4 players pulled apiece of magic out of the air. however there was at least a bit of support from the full-backs who bombed forward to suppliment the attack at every opportunity.

compare that team with our current preferred starting 11 and you will see that the engine room is very similar,2 very strong,industrious players with limited ball distribution yet we are still relying on the same 4 players (in our strongest line-up) to produce the magic,this is the real problem! all these guys are heading into the twilight of their careers,they have all had repeated injury worries over their careers(we all know that this is when they will begin to take their toll) they have all lost a bit of pace and with that some of their dynamic/explosive power to hurt teams. despite all this we still expect them to be on the top of their games and punish teams the way they did in their 20's, unfortunately we are witnessing these great players demise and unless the BOD acts urgently to bring in fresh faces in january i forsee a long winter.

there is no doubt that giovinco and amauri are the future for Juve,the problem is they need to be the present and they need to be supplimented with reinforcements because the stars that have brought us so much glory in the past are beginning to fade.....
    Well said, you razist. I cannot disagree.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #47

Agreed. Relying on the same old players to produce all the time is not very healthy, but we still do it anyway. Somebody has to take up the slack and produce out there; Amauri certainly has but he doesn't have the ability to create, so that is a problem.

Again, I think there is an obvious answer to this problem but we are too afraid to make it happen.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Giovinco is the answer of all these. Put him behind the strikers in the middle, and let him create the attacks.. Why do we let forwards to go back and take the ball to attack and create? That's not forwards jobs. And also Ranieri gave Giovinco some defending job too, that's not his job. Why does he mix everything up. Let defenders defend, midfielders create, and attackers score, it's that simple. The system is the problem, and relying on players, we have enough players to perform better than this, just like we guesses earlier, Poulsen wasn't any necessary signing at all, we should have signed a new creative player, or a Left midfielder, other than a good defender (which we witnessed their weaknesses already).

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
    Last year this man created or scored in at least 50% of our goals last season. I'd wager to say that he had a hand in at least 65% of our goals in Serie A. My question is this - if Alex cannot regain his form from last season, what does that mean for our team? We rely heavily on his skills in attack, so if we don't have his wizardry, can we keep up with the title race?

I'm posing this question because it's very pointless to deny how much Alex meant to the team's results last season. Without him, he would have finished mid-table.
    Our attack this season is stronger than last season's because of the purchase of Amauri and the return of Giovinco. That is said, if Del Piero doesn't perform his magic we are screwed. He is the person who can make things happen. He is the person who connects all the team together.
    Mind you we are in crisis if he does not perform this season, Trezeguet is out for injury and god only knows how long will it take him to return to his full fitness. I am worried. We played 5 games and scored 4 times, if you add the champion's league game we have played 6 and scored 5. The four attackers we have today have scored more than 65 goals last season put together. They must start bagging up some very soon.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

Very good.

It's time for the new guard. Amauri, Giovinco, Marchisio, Sissoko, Chiellini and De Ceglie(Iaquinta?) are the ones we need to starting building on now. DP and Camo to help in the transition.

Jun 13, 2007
    Giovinco is not the answer, not yet. We can't build our team around him so soon. He needs time, he's only played one official game FFS. He needs to be given a regular role for the remainder of the season and we will see what happens after that.

As for Alex, it's true we do depend on him a lot. I would say however, that we depended on him last season a lot more than we will this season. This year, we have a techincally gifted striker who is able to create his own chance, something we didn't have in the attacking department last season, well, apart from ALe.

Other than that, we have a more creative midfield this season that we did the last. Players like Giovinco, Marchisio, and sometimes Poulsen can add a lot to the team when it comes to creativity.

However, there is a real problem and I have noticed it when we play amauri and IQ together. There seems to be little or no link up between the midfield and attack, here's where Ale is sorely missed. We have no one else in the team that can drop back into the midfield to help create an attack.

We're hoping Giovinco can solve this for us, but I prefer we don't impose too many responsibilities on him, especially one as important as this as it could affect him negatively more than positively.

I personally don't think we have a solution for Ale's absence just yet, as a change in formation does not seem very likely here, especially when we are talking about Ranieri here, a coach that will literally eat his own fecal matter before he decides to play a diff. formation from the 4-4-2(classic).

Dec 26, 2004
    The attack doesnt worry me.Even though we havent set the pitch on fire so far,but i expect the attack to do well overall.I wont be particularly concerned if Del Piero doesnt reach the same level that he did last season because we have a stronger front line this season.If we still had Palladino and the Amauri purchase had not been made,then perhaps Del Piero not hitting form would have harmed us big time,but with the forward line we have right now it wont be that big an issue.Having said that,an inform Del Piero would obviously benefit the team massivley since he's the captain etc,but i dont think we will be as dependent on him this season as we were last season.
    We certainly did with a less than 1 goal per game ratio:p

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    The worrying thing is that there is all this talk about Amauri as the future, yet he's not exactly what i'd call young

sidd

Sep 1, 2005
    Why is there all this talk of Ale being off form, a couple of games off form and some ppl here start questioning him, how much service are the forwards getting apart from the catania game?????? Its the responsibility of thje midfield to create atleast 10 % of our chances which is sadly not happening.
    And i dont think Ale`s been off form except for the last game against samp. Ranieri needs to show some balls and play gio more and more, and also play the players who actually know how to pass the ball...that means no molinaro/sali.
    The youngsters need to step up and claim their places

Geof

May 14, 2004
    I was going to write a long post on this, buit in the end it's all pretty simple: If Del Piero doesn't find his form back, we will score less goals and win less games.

Solutions:

(1) Buy a replacement. Not likely as guys of his class are very rare and thus very expensive. I don't know who would be the best replacement, but if we look at the likes of Aguero or Benzema (just to throw in names), it is unlikely we can get (and above all, pay) them.

(2) Change our system. Instead of relying on Del Piero's skills and Trezeguet to bang in what DP couldn't, we have to divide our creative force among more players. Amauri is a step in the right direction, but IMO this shift of tactics should also have repercussions on the midfield (more creativity, aka NOT two CDM's), certainly as one can see Nedved is clearly declining.

Option (2) is the most sensible one, and I think it is achievable by buying just one creative midfielder.

That said, I still have a lot of confidence in Alex, and I see no reason why he wouldn't regain form in the next weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)