The Del Piero Factor (3 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Last year this man created or scored in at least 50% of our goals last season. I'd wager to say that he had a hand in at least 65% of our goals in Serie A. My question is this - if Alex cannot regain his form from last season, what does that mean for our team? We rely heavily on his skills in attack, so if we don't have his wizardry, can we keep up with the title race?

I'm posing this question because it's very pointless to deny how much Alex meant to the team's results last season. Without him, he would have finished mid-table.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 13, 2007
Well Andy, I think that's highly debatable as the same could be said about Inter with Ibra, Roma with Totti, and Milan with Kaka. It's not a weakness by any means, every team has player that the depend on. When that player fails to continue to deliver,the team will find a replacement.

In our case, when Ale's magic slowly fades away, Giovino will take over.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Don't start comparing other teams here. That's not the purpose of this thread.

Fact is we rely on Alex more than anybody else.

Jun 13, 2007
    That's how all teams all whether you like it or not. Every team in the world relies on one player more than the rest.

I don't know where you are getting at here. Give me a team that doesn't have a star player they rely on.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    I have no clue why... for the love of Allah.. you keep bringing up other teams. I don't give a care about them!

What I want to know is can we cope without a Del Piero from last season.

It's an easy question Revo.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    The attack doesnt worry me.Even though we havent set the pitch on fire so far,but i expect the attack to do well overall.I wont be particularly concerned if Del Piero doesnt reach the same level that he did last season because we have a stronger front line this season.If we still had Palladino and the Amauri purchase had not been made,then perhaps Del Piero not hitting form would have harmed us big time,but with the forward line we have right now it wont be that big an issue.Having said that,an inform Del Piero would obviously benefit the team massivley since he's the captain etc,but i dont think we will be as dependent on him this season as we were last season.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    On theory, we are less DP, than any other year, because we many quality forwards in our squad.
    At this very moment though, with Treze injured and Iaquinta out of form, DP is our most prolific weapon available and his form is essential to our cause.
    In the long run Amauri and Giovinco can do as fine creating chamces and Treze will be back to finish them!

As for the titles chances, i dont think we ever had any of these, esp with these noob managers and loser coach, around...

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    the simple answer: No

Juve is basically built around Ale's genius...80% of the time, any attacking move we create involves Ale, who has to drop deep and keep the attack moving forward, be it a moment of individual brilliance or a skillful pass to a teammate...

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Del Piero should be benched, he will perform better that way. Any player who is off form should be benched, and no you are wrong Andy, we don't rely on Alex, not anymore. But ofcourse if you play him all the time, we rely on his form, that's because when he is in good form we do good, but if he is off form, he harms the team a lot. But this doesn't mean we don't have a player in the squad to start in this place. and it doesn't mean that without Del Pier we can't succeed.

Christina

vanilla pudding
    Aug 21, 2006
    Del Piero should be benched, he will perform better that way. Any player who is off form should be benched, and no you are wrong Andy, we don't rely on Alex, not anymore. But ofcourse if you play him all the time, we rely on his form, that's because when he is in good form we do good, but if he is off form, he harms the team a lot. But this doesn't mean we don't have a player in the squad to start in this place. and it doesn't mean that without Del Pier we can't succeed.
    True, but now with Trez out, we have no choice but to play all 3 strikers. Iaquinta is off-form too, and so far the only one performing is Amauri. Until one begins to make an impact, we'll be stuck rotating Iaquinta and Del Piero with Amauri.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Iaquinta needs more chances, he isn't in terrible form like Alex. Yeah he is not scoring goals, but it's not only about scoring goals. if you put him in at the 75th minute, when the team is playing terrible, what do you expect him to do?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Del Piero might be off form at the moment but he should be the last one who should be benched.But I don't think he should play 90 minutes though.Even when he's off form he can do a good job and score when your hopes are down or create some great chance for Amauri or someone.Trezeguet is injured and Iaquinta got his chance but he missed 235 chances and made many mistakes.He should only get his chance in second half when DP goes off.

Imagine if he didn't sign Amaru.We'd be stuck with 2 off forms strikers.

Nedeved is the one who should be benched now and Gio is the one should play.

We can't pull anything better than Del Piero-Amauri at the moment.Playing Iaquinta instead is pointless IMO,he should get his chance in second half.

Edit:Iaquinta already started 1 (or 2 games) and missed tons of chances.Amauri in the mean time had 2 and one was goal.In second he hit the post.

Christina

vanilla pudding
    Aug 21, 2006
    Iaquinta needs more chances, he isn't in terrible form like Alex. Yeah he is not scoring goals, but it's not only about scoring goals. if you put him in at the 75th minute, when the team is playing terrible, what do you expect him to do?
    I was referring to when he started against Udinese, I believe. Anyway, I agree he should get more chances, but when he doesn't perform Alex will start the next game and when Alex doesn't perform, Iaquinta will start-at least that's the way it should be-until one starts doing well.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Tactically, Del Piero's role on the field request such a factor. Him moving back to the midfield, getting the ball, playing it wide, opening space for our flanks, his vision through the field automatically takes you to the point that his leadership inside the field turns the team into one depended team. But thats normal in football.

That said, maintaining his form of last season doesn't mean he should score 15 to 25 goals as much as it means that he should be a threat to his opposition like he's doing in his matches. The double team that coaches are using vs Ale shows how much math they're doing before they step into the field.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Del Piero might be off form at the moment but he should be the last one who should be benched.But I don't think he should play 90 minutes though.Even when he's off form he can do a good job and score when your hopes are down or create some great chance for Amauri or someone.Trezeguet is injured and Iaquinta got his chance but he missed 235 chances and made many mistakes.He should only get his chance in second half when DP goes off.

Imagine if he didn't sign Amaru.We'd be stuck with 2 off forms strikers.

Nedeved is the one who should be benched now and Gio is the one should play.

We can't pull anything better than Del Piero-Amauri at the moment.Playing Iaquinta instead is pointless IMO,he should get his chance in second half.

Edit:Iaquinta already started 1 (or 2 games) and missed tons of chances.Amauri in the mean time had 2 and one was goal.In second he hit the post.
    The thing is that some people just want him to be benched for the sake of it and nothing else. Del Piero is indeed the last player that should be benched looking at our situation.

No player bigger than a club? Yes, we'll hear that about 100x now, but fact is Del Piero is the most product from our team that we need, we can use and we can give. Thats a fact whether some people, dummies, zlataniz like it or not.

And I hope, I really hope we're not doing the last year style. Only Alex to talk about at the start of the season like last year to end up turning him into a god at the end.

It's time for some members to be ashamed of themselves for writing Del Piero off since long time (thats what they wished) it's time for them to be ashamed and not really talk about this man. Even If he'll end up season with minus 3 goals and total rating of 4.5.

Good points out there Dule, anyway.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Actually you should be ashamed of being a fan boy at your age, instead of attacking everyone who criticizes Del Piero.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    Very interesting and provoking point Andy. :tup:

I'm interested to know your answer to it. How would you propose to solve this problem.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    I was referring to when he started against Udinese, I believe. Anyway, I agree he should get more chances, but when he doesn't perform Alex will start the next game and when Alex doesn't perform, Iaquinta will start-at least that's the way it should be-until one starts doing well.
    I don't mind that at all, actually that is what I want to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)