the big match: Italy - Wales (7 Viewers)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Thank you ;)
But I think that Trap will use Aragorn's formation. He is not flexible so now that it worked he will use always 4-2-3-1. But IMO a NT coach has to adapt the formation to the players not the opposite like team coach are used to do.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
I think the best Totti replacement was Cassano or Pirlo, but none of them have been called up :groan: So I guess that Trap will put DP to play there even if he's not a playmaker or he will go back to 4-4-2.
The best (with the player who have been called up) will be IMO to use Fiore as a playmaker.
Something like this:

------------------------Buffon
-----------Cannavaro------------------Nesta
Oddo-------------------------------------------------Zambrotta
----------Gattuso--------Perrotta-----------Zanetti
-------------------------Fiore
-----------------Del Piero-----------Vieri
Hello Mate, long time no speak or argue but this is actually a good formation, i like it becasue there is no Panucci as he is terrible but for me Gatusso is only useful if you have a lot of technical players in the side and no way would he work well with Perrotta and Zanetti

I used to like Fiore but he has gone down somewhat in my eyes and he is no Totti but he is the best in the squad in that position but he is too slow and does not give first time passes like Totti does

I actually think Perrotta and Zanetti have done well for Italy as they compliment eachother and work very hard for the team

Another player who i now like a lot cos of his work rate is Corradi, he was excellent against Finland as he worked so hard to allow Totti and Dp to find space, something Vieri does not do

Oddo is a very good crosser of the ball , the best in Italy imo, not sure about the way he defends

I have the feeling Trapatoni will play Dp Inzaghi and Vieri, dont know why i feel that way but i think he will and I don't see him starting with Fiore

i think it will be something like this

----------------Buffon-----------------------------

---panucci-----------Nesta--------Cannavaro---------Zambrotta

-----Gatusso/Camo-----------Zanetti--------Perotta

--------------------------------------------------------------------Dp

--------------------------Inzaghi--------Vieri-----------

And if Italy are leading by first half 1-0 , expect Dp to come off for Delvecchio

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Gattuso ???!!

Inzaghi ???!!!

I'm having deja vu, we all know what happened the last time these 2 were selected for the NT

I all of the sudden DO NOT have a good feeling about this game..........

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Its a big blow for Italy that Totti is not playing in this game and also against S/m as he is absolutely fundamental to Italy's cause
I saw the Italy Germany game and was enjoying it until Trap decided after 55 mins to bring on Delvecchio for Dp and the game from Italys attacking point of view went downhill just like against South Korea (Trap will never learn)

But that apart the most baffling thing is why a player as horrible as Panucci can still be in the squad let alone the team as he was again horrible and the right hand side for me is not very good

Oddo who if anyone has seen him is the best crosser of a ball in Italian football is ignored while Panucci who now cannot seem to do anything right is continually picked and i get the feeling that Pancaro with his move to Milan will soon join the squad

Fiore should in all probability repalce Totti even if he is no where as good but it would be a big error to put Dp there as he is definitely no playmaker

Wales, I am not sure if Hartson is fit to play but if he is, then the defence is in for a tough time as Nesta struggles against big combative guys even if Canavaro loves it

I also read somewhere Vieri is struggling with muscle injury ( here we go again)

I was impressed with Perrota as he moved around very quickly shutting players down , Tacchinardi was not very good as he was static and he started fouling ppl cos he couldnt match them for pace

Gattusso might get the nod as its in Milan, not sure if Zanetti is fit though

Pity Cassano was not called up as he looked very good against Udinese and has had a good pre season

Just for fun since its at san siro this would make for a popular team

-------------------Toldo-------------------

-------Panucci(ex milan and inter)----Cannavaro----nesta----Pancaro

--------------------------Gatusso-------------Zanetti----------

-------Zambrotta

--------------------------------Pirlo---------------------------

----------------------Inzaghi--------------Vieri---------------

Hands up how many Juve fans would watch this team
I said the exact same thing after the game in the Germany/Italy thread, TRAP WILL NEVER LEARN !!!!

I have a deja vu feeling that he may go with the 4-4-2 and become defensive in the second half, after Vieri scores an early goal.

If you see DP get subbed in favor of Gattuso in the second half............. SCREAM !!!!!!!!!

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
For this game i would have considered calling up Di Natale or Di Vaio.

But given the squad that Trap has called up, this what I would do:

------------------Buffon---------------------

Panucci---Canna---Nesta---Zambrotta

-----------Zanetti---Perrotta-------------

-------Camo-----Fiore------Del Piero----

-------------------Vieri----------------------

Its really unfortunate that both Totti & Miccoli are injured.

If Di Vaio was in the squad:

-------Camo-------DP------Di Vaio--------

I think that would have made more sense particulalry given the 3 attacking players behind Vieri play in the same team.

But this is the team that Trap will use against Wales:

-------Camo-------DP------Delvecchio---

This makes no sense! Di Vaio is better in that position than DV.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I would prefer Di Vaio to Cassano. Simply because you don't want to throw in a 20yo youngster "who is a hothead" into a Euro qualifier when he has virtually no Azzuri experience. Besides, Di Vaio can play really well out left like he showed for Juve. He is also much more likely to score than DelV.

Given our injuries, I am getting a little worried about this match. We need a big game from Del Piero this time. He will be KEY in this match!

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
agreed. this match heavily relies on DP to perform. However, i think vieri could pull off a goal. Camo could set him up i guess. Im guessing the scoreline will be 3 - 1 to Italy. Italy scoring first 2 in first half. second half, wales start out better score a goal, but italy finishes off the game with another goal. Goalscorers (in order): Vieri, DP, DP :D :D

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
More bad news....

Perrotta got injured and might have to go back home.

Vieri is resting for 2 days cos of a knock he received during Inter's match.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
I'm not sure about that.. trap has ruined the match already by his startup list.. no playmaker in that list..!!! + Panucci + Inzaghi + Delvecchio..
God help Italy..!!

I think the formation should be like this..

----------------------------------Buffon---------------------------------

------------------------Nesta--------------Legro----------------------
-----Cannavaro -------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------Zambrotta

--------------------------------Tacchi------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------Pirlo/Zanetti-------------
-------Camoranesi -----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------Fiore-------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------Del Piero---------------
------------------------Vieri-----------------------------------------------

You may wonder why did I put Cannavaro as a right back.. To STOP GIGGS...

I wish italy all the best..

mate

Aug 28, 2002
@denco: I agree that Fiore isn't the same of Totti, he is more a mielfielder, but he is the best 4 playing in a playmaker beetwin the players who have been called up, anycase he is not a playmaker too, the best it will be to have Cassano there IMO.
Del Piero cannot play as a winger, I think that Trap understood it, like I think he understood that Panucci can't play at all.

@Al Harbi: Cannavaro will never paly there, he is a central defender and he already refused to play there in Inter... beeing him the NT capitain I do not think Trap will ever ask him to play out of role. Pirlo isn't in the squad btw.

Considering that Perrotta is probably out this is the formation that I think Trap will use:

-------------------Buffon

Oddo------Cannavaro------Nesta-------Zambrotta

Camo-----Tacchinardi-------Zanetti------Fiore

----------------Del Piero--------Vieri

Than he may say that this a 4-2-3-1 whit Camo, DP and Fiore in the "3" but IMO with this kind of players who are in the squad and without any playmaker they will turn to play 4-4-2 no matter how they start cause players cannot go too mutch vs their nature.

With Totti it was an other story with Cassano or Pirlo was better but isn't a bad formation anycase, and schould be able to win over Galles.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Can someone please translate this:

Nazionale al lavoro, Vieri e Delvecchio fermi

Da valutare anche le condizioni di Perrotta

COVERCIANO (Fi) - Primo allenamento della nazionale a Coverciano, in vista doppio impegno contro Galles e Serbia Montenegro per le qualificazioni all'Europeo 2004. Assenti Vieri, Delvecchio e Perrotta, alle prese con problemi fisici: il centrocampista del Chievo si è presentato con i risultati di una risonanza magnetica in seguito a un problema muscolare accusato nella prima partita di campionato a Brescia. Assente anche Fabio Cannavaro che soffre di mal di gola. Al gruppo non si sono ancora aggregati i cinque giocatori del Milan (Ambrosini, Gattuso, Nesta, Inzaghi e Abbiati) attesi nella tarda mattinata.

:scared:

Aug 27, 2003
no one can wait to see this match, im sure were gonna kick some welsh ass..loool
hey i notied all ur guys formation what happned to tge fact that tacchinardi is in the squad an amzing mid..thinks he derves to be there..

and is the match on sat or sun? 5 or 6?? :s i hope its 5..

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Can someone please translate this:

Nazionale al lavoro, Vieri e Delvecchio fermi

Da valutare anche le condizioni di Perrotta

COVERCIANO (Fi) - Primo allenamento della nazionale a Coverciano, in vista doppio impegno contro Galles e Serbia Montenegro per le qualificazioni all'Europeo 2004. Assenti Vieri, Delvecchio e Perrotta, alle prese con problemi fisici: il centrocampista del Chievo si è presentato con i risultati di una risonanza magnetica in seguito a un problema muscolare accusato nella prima partita di campionato a Brescia. Assente anche Fabio Cannavaro che soffre di mal di gola. Al gruppo non si sono ancora aggregati i cinque giocatori del Milan (Ambrosini, Gattuso, Nesta, Inzaghi e Abbiati) attesi nella tarda mattinata.

:scared:
Vieri, Del Vecchi and Perrotta are not trainig 4 phisical problems. The Chievo mf has muscolar problems accused in the match vs Brescia.
Cannavaro isn't arrived yet cause he has a flu, and all the Milan players (Ambrosini, Gattuso, Nesta, Inzaghi e Abbiati) are waited 4 late morning.

As I understand the only one who can give "forfet" is Perrotta...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by «ƒÕ®zå JüV€» ] ++
no one can wait to see this match, im sure were gonna kick some welsh ass..loool
hey i notied all ur guys formation what happned to tge fact that tacchinardi is in the squad an amzing mid..thinks he derves to be there..

and is the match on sat or sun? 5 or 6?? :s i hope its 5..
It's on Saturday the 6th :)

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002

@Al Harbi: Cannavaro will never paly there, he is a central defender and he already refused to play there in Inter... beeing him the NT capitain I do not think Trap will ever ask him to play out of role. Pirlo isn't in the squad btw.
IIRC, Canna played right back for Italy in the WC. Of course he sucked, but I don't see why he won't play there to accomodate the threat of Giggs.

The last game was shiat, because nobody seemed to challenge Hartson for the ball, and Bellamy was all over the field. Nesta and Legro have to do their jobs, and thank God Bellas is out of this match.

We have to attack their left flank, where Giggs will leave Speed vulnerable. We should play a fast midfielder like Zambrotta there to skin Speed, because Speed isn't fast. Oh, the irony of it all.

I see Italy winning, but I hope Wales do go to Euro2004.

Cheers! :devil:

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003

Vieri, Del Vecchi and Perrotta are not trainig 4 phisical problems. The Chievo mf has muscolar problems accused in the match vs Brescia.
Cannavaro isn't arrived yet cause he has a flu, and all the Milan players (Ambrosini, Gattuso, Nesta, Inzaghi e Abbiati) are waited 4 late morning.

As I understand the only one who can give "forfet" is Perrotta...

Uuurgh.... :yuck: ...... this situation seams to be getting worse each day :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)