the big match: Italy - Wales (6 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
Totti isnt playing for sure?
Nope, he's not in the squad. If I was Trap I would have called up Di Vaio to play on the left wing and let DP play in Totti's position.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Its a big blow for Italy that Totti is not playing in this game and also against S/m as he is absolutely fundamental to Italy's cause
I saw the Italy Germany game and was enjoying it until Trap decided after 55 mins to bring on Delvecchio for Dp and the game from Italys attacking point of view went downhill just like against South Korea (Trap will never learn)

But that apart the most baffling thing is why a player as horrible as Panucci can still be in the squad let alone the team as he was again horrible and the right hand side for me is not very good

Oddo who if anyone has seen him is the best crosser of a ball in Italian football is ignored while Panucci who now cannot seem to do anything right is continually picked and i get the feeling that Pancaro with his move to Milan will soon join the squad

Fiore should in all probability repalce Totti even if he is no where as good but it would be a big error to put Dp there as he is definitely no playmaker

Wales, I am not sure if Hartson is fit to play but if he is, then the defence is in for a tough time as Nesta struggles against big combative guys even if Canavaro loves it

I also read somewhere Vieri is struggling with muscle injury ( here we go again)

I was impressed with Perrota as he moved around very quickly shutting players down , Tacchinardi was not very good as he was static and he started fouling ppl cos he couldnt match them for pace

Gattusso might get the nod as its in Milan, not sure if Zanetti is fit though

Pity Cassano was not called up as he looked very good against Udinese and has had a good pre season

Just for fun since its at san siro this would make for a popular team

-------------------Toldo-------------------

-------Panucci(ex milan and inter)----Cannavaro----nesta----Pancaro

--------------------------Gatusso-------------Zanetti----------

-------Zambrotta

--------------------------------Pirlo---------------------------

----------------------Inzaghi--------------Vieri---------------

Hands up how many Juve fans would watch this team

OP
danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #64
    Here's the squad...

Portieri: Abbiati (Milan), Buffon (Juventus), Toldo (Inter);

Difensori: Birindelli (Juventus), Cannavaro (Inter), Ferrari (Parma),
    Legrottaglie (Juventus), Nesta (Milan), Oddo (Lazio), Panucci (Roma);

Centrocampisti: Ambrosini (Milan), Camoranesi (Juventus), Fiore (Lazio),
    Gattuso (Milan), Perrotta (Chievo Verona), Tacchinardi (Juventus),
    Zambrotta (Juventus), Zanetti (Inter);

Attaccanti: Corradi (Lazio), Delvecchio (Roma), Del Piero (Juventus),
    Inzaghi (Milan), Vieri (Inter).

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    From the attackers that Trapattoni called, only DP is a forward. Too many strikers (which he won't use cos he'll obviously only play Vieri) and just one forward, way to go Trap.

OP
    danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #66
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    From the attackers that Trapattoni called, only DP is a forward. Too many strikers (which he won't use cos he'll obviously only play Vieri) and just one forward, way to go Trap.
    What other forwards did you want him to call?

OP
    danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #68
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Di Vaio and Cassano have been doing very well recently.
    Yeah, I probably would've taken either of them over Delvecchio. Delvecchio has got to be the most useless player that Trap keeps calling. :D

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Btw anyone saw Cassano play yesterday? He might have not matured outside the playing field, but on the pitch he's really matured alot and he's only what, 20 or 21?

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Saturday 8:45pm CET, it shall be on RAI (dunno if they block it since it's the NT).

I'm reading some italian news, and Trapattoni seems inclined to playing 4-4-2 as he does not reckon anyone can substitute Totti, especially since Miccoli won't be available either.

So either DP plays behind the strikers (Inzaghi and Vieri I`m guessing) or DP will play up front with Vieri.

Obviously DP-Inzaghi-Vieri sounds an excellent prospect with creativity mixed with strength and opportunism (an attack I would have loved to see at Juve, but we missed it for one year).

However I think DP-Vieri sounds more solid with Camoranesi and probably Del Vecchio on the wings, and Zanetti and Perrotta as central midfielders.

What do you think?

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    I would Prefer Gattuso and Tacchi for The Central Midfielders role. they are much better than Perrotta and Zanetti.

As for the Attack Dp-Inzaghi-Vieri sounds Perfect for me, but i don't think Del Piero will like the idea of playing behind the 2 strikers.

I guess Trap will stick to the 4-2-3-1 system. It will look like this.

==============Buffon=============
    =Panucci====Nesta====Canna.===Zambo==
    =================================
    =======Zanetti=======Perrotta========
    =Camoranesi====Del Piero====Delvecchio==
    ===========Vieri==================

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    I think I would like that, but it might not be balanced enough, and DP doesn't have the same characteristics of Totti (through passes or long passes from the midfield for the striker).

I really do think that Totti is too important for this team :(

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, we did, in Miccoli, but he went and got injured. If I was Trap I would have called up either Cassano or Di Vaio ahead of Delvecchio and played with this line-up:

Buffon
    Panucci Nesta Cannavaro Zambrotta
    Gattuso Perrotta
    Fiore Cassano Del Piero
    Vieri

If as Trap says Totti is indispensable and cannot be replaced, I'd like to see a 4-4-2 with Vieri-DP upfront.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    I think the best Totti replacement was Cassano or Pirlo, but none of them have been called up :groan: So I guess that Trap will put DP to play there even if he's not a playmaker or he will go back to 4-4-2.
    The best (with the player who have been called up) will be IMO to use Fiore as a playmaker.
    Something like this:

------------------------Buffon
    -----------Cannavaro------------------Nesta
    Oddo-------------------------------------------------Zambrotta
    ----------Gattuso--------Perrotta-----------Zanetti
    -------------------------Fiore
    -----------------Del Piero-----------Vieri

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)