Summer Mercato Thread 2020-21 (72 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
I don't know why that would be unrealistic. It's not like they were Xavi, Iniesta, Modrić etc. But they were still excellent and the best we had.

SMS, Pogba, Partey, Kroos, Luis Alberto, Fabian Ruiz, Thiago, Kante, Havertz, Aouar... Probably missing some other guys too.

Thiago is leaving Bayern, they want 30-40m. That's a bargain even though I don't particularly like him. Partey has a 50m release clause. Aulas wants 50m for Aouar. It's rumored Chelsea wouldn't mind selling Kante for 60-70m and rejuvenating their team.

Aouar-Thiago-Partey is right there for less than 150m all together. It's baffling we're not all over that.

Add Bentancur, Arthur and Locatelli and we may have something again.
If you start thinking about salaries instead of transfer sums only, that's very unrealistic...

We want to lower the wage bill and we already spent 40 mil on Kulu without selling anyone. The Arthur-Pjanic trade was a massive coup we definitely needed.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
If you start thinking about salaries instead of transfer sums only, that's very unrealistic...

We want to lower the wage bill and we already spent 40 mil on Kulu without selling anyone. The Arthur-Pjanic trade was a massive coup we definitely needed.
We want to lower the wage bill but want to give Milik 5m net too? Makes no sense.

Anyway, Alcantara would be the only one with high wages. He earns around 13m gross at Bayern, that's only slightly higher than Ramsey, Rabiot and Costa for example.

Partey earns 3.6m GROSS at Atletico. He wants to go to freaking Arsenal who are offering double the wages. We could triple that and still not feel it.

Aouar has 1.5m gross. We could quintuple that and not feel it.

People don't realize how high our wage bill has gotten. Only midfielders that earn more than our worst ones are top class guys like KDB, Pogba, Kante, Kroos etc.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
We want to lower the wage bill but want to give Milik 5m net too? Makes no sense.

Anyway, Alcantara would be the only one with high wages. He earns around 13m gross at Bayern, that's only slightly higher than Ramsey, Rabiot and Costa for example.

Partey earns 3.6m GROSS at Atletico. He wants to go to freaking Arsenal who are offering double the wages. We could triple that and still not feel it.

Aouar has 1.5m gross. We could quintuple that and not feel it.

People don't realize how high our wage bill has gotten. Only midfielders that earn more than our worst ones are top class guys like KDB, Pogba, Kante, Kroos etc.
Milik would be replacing Higuain who is on what 7,5 m ? Hence slimming down...

And all of those others mentioned guys would want a salary increase. A bag of millions for a permanently injured player like Alcantara (who I actually like as a player) would be like Khedira all over.

Aouar and Partey would maybe be possible but not the both of them. It's not football manager here; moving players on is hard business.

- - - Updated - - -

emre

i hope locatelli convinced some doubters

the kid is good. get him and ship ramsey
Emre Can, yes. That was the previous book year, pal.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Milik would be replacing Higuain who is on what 7,5 m ? Hence slimming down...

And all of those others mentioned guys would want a salary increase. A bag of millions for a permanently injured player like Alcantara (who I actually like as a player) would be like Khedira all over.

Aouar and Partey would maybe be possible but not the both of them. It's not football manager here; moving players on is hard business.
It is only hard business when you make it hard business. We've done it in the past - 10 players out, 10 players in. City when Pep came, Inter last summer, it's not rocket science.

But the truth is I don't think our management thinks this midfield is as bad as fans do. They've overhauled defense and attack in years past but keep avoiding the midfield. Either they don't think it's as bad or as important for success.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
It is only hard business when you make it hard business. We've done it in the past - 10 players out, 10 players in. City when Pep came, Inter last summer, it's not rocket science.

But the truth is I don't think our management thinks this midfield is as bad as fans do. They've overhauled defense and attack in years past but keep avoiding the midfield. Either they don't think it's as bad or as important for success.
Moving players with low salaries is easy. Not players like Ramsey, Rabiot or Khedira who are obviously overpaid.

And that something has been done before, doesn't mean it's easily repeated. Especially in this climate!!!

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
We the fans say. All we talk about is the days of MVPP and how good they were. To me that's the benchmark. And it's not like those guys were the best ever so you can't come close to them.

Liverpool only that comes to mind in recent memory, who else? And they have a great coach who built that team step by step for 5-6 years. They know each other better than their families by this point.

Kroos-Casemiro-Modrić-Di Maria, Iniesta-Busquets-Xavi-Rakitić, Javi Martinez-Schweinsteiger-Muller. All top class midfields. Chelsea with old Lampard, Mata and Obi Mikel comes the closest I guess, but that was a very specific year and an outlier IMO. They had break after break and luck at all the right moments.
You don't speak for me, and that juve midfield is better than all but the barca mid

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
You don't speak for me, and that juve midfield is better than all but the barca mid
Ok I don't speak for you. You're telling me you'd be happy with Arthur and Bentancur as our best mids next season then? If not who'd you target then?

No it isn't better man, come on. RM midfield won 4/5 CLs. Didn't even mention a player like Isco or even James who was great for 2 years for them. Bayern's midfield went to 3 finals in 4 years and won one. Just on longevity alone they're better.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Ok I don't speak for you. You're telling me you'd be happy with Arthur and Bentancur as our best mids next season then? If not who'd you target then?

No it isn't better man, come on. RM midfield won 4/5 CLs. Bayern's midfield went to 3 finals in 4 years and won one. Just on longevity alone they're better.
You're comparing achievements, not output.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

No it isn't better man, come on. RM midfield won 4/5 CLs. Didn't even mention a player like Isco or even James who was great for 2 years for them. Bayern's midfield went to 3 finals in 4 years and won one. Just on longevity alone they're better.
First and foremost i want a coach with a clear plan and charisma to get the players to buy into it. Ideally i want us to get kante/kroos but how realistical is that of the only way we can recruit more is through trades, plus I'm pretty sure we got to get rid of some high wages before we can new ones.

Player by player i really think ours was better, which goes back to confirm my point that the unit and the scheme it operates under is what really matters. And i also believe that with that mid we would have beaten madrid in the final.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
You're comparing achievements, not output.
Achievements are the whole point of the sport. You don't win 4/5 CLs by chance. No one's gonna talk about Figo, Beckham and other Galacticos when they underachieved massively.

First and foremost i want a coach with a clear plan and charisma to get the players to buy into it. Ideally i want us to get kante/kroos but how realistical is that of the only way we can recruit more is through trades, plus I'm pretty sure we got to get rid of some high wages before we can new ones.

Player by player i really think ours was better, which goes back to confirm my point that the unit and the scheme it operates under is what really matters. And i also believe that with that mid we would have beaten madrid in the final.
Yeah if we go name by name maybe it's close. And yeah we maybe beat RM in Cardiff with MVPP at their best. But unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You can't just ignore context and go through time and pick and choose when our mids were at their best and put them against other mids. Pirlo was on his last legs in 14/15, Marchisio basically retired by the time we faced RM in the final, Vidal and Pogba underachieved when they left. Quality of the midfield isn't just the names but how well they fit together and how long they stay together and what they win.

But ok, for the sake of the argument let's say that MVPP were better than all recent mids except Barca - do you think Arthur and Bentancur and Kulusevski reach the standard of RM and Bayern midfields? Not even close.

We wanna laugh and complain all day about Paratici and the bad state of our midfield but then when presented with a choice of holding up the standards and demanding better players we still accept something lesser now because of hope it might be better later.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Achievements are the whole point of the sport. You don't win 4/5 CLs by chance. No one's gonna talk about Figo, Beckham and other Galacticos when they underachieved massively.

Yeah if we go name by name maybe it's close. And yeah we maybe beat RM in Cardiff with MVPP at their best. But unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You can't just ignore context and go through time and pick and choose when our mids were at their best and put them against other mids. Pirlo was on his last legs in 14/15, Marchisio basically retired by the time we faced RM in the final, Vidal and Pogba underachieved when they left. Quality of the midfield isn't just the names but how well they fit together and how long they stay together and what they win.

But ok, for the sake of the argument let's say that MVPP were better than all recent mids except Barca - do you think Arthur and Bentancur and Kulusevski reach the standard of RM and Bayern midfields? Not even close.

We wanna laugh and complain all day about Paratici and the bad state of our midfield but then when presented with a choice of holding up the standards and demanding better players we still accept something lesser now because of hope it might be better later.
That's exactly my point :D i think where we differ is our perception of what kind of players we can bring in based on our current finances. You think we can drop 50 in cash i think we can't, but i guess we will wait and see.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

Football teams field 11 players, not solely three midfielders. You can't attribute an achievement only on midfield, there are many variables at play. Hence why it doesn't make sense to judge one as better than another purely based on achievements

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Would be stupidity to ship Ronaldo unless we can get a player of similar commercial visibility of which there are none really.
Ronaldo is a reference point on a sporting as well as on a commercial level and you dont ship him off just because some dud coach is unable to adjust his tactics to suit the personnel of the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 70)