Summer mercato thread 2017-18 (69 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
6.5/10

Pros :
-Improved attacking depth significantly
-Added much needed fresh legs in midfield
-Brought a great keeper a year early so transition from post Buffon era becomes easier
-Retained Alex Sandro after a lot of uncertainty over his future

Cons:
-Sold a world class defender for peanuts. Also buying a scrap player from the buying club to make matters even worse. Single most terrible move of the mercato and this alone deducts -3 mercato points in my rating.
-While the midfield reinforcements are solid, it's still not a sizeable upgrade. We got a good, solid, player for the short term but he ain't world class and it's certainly not a signing which will take Juve to the next level. I thought the mercato would've promised much more but alas still a good signing.
-RB still an issue unless Höwedes can fill in for that spot and do a good job at it.

Overall : decent mercato but it dented my expectations quite a bit considering the season we had last year.

May 26, 2016
Really wanted Keita and Schick here, but it just was not the right time. We cant sign every promising player in the world. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Apart from De Sciglio, we brought in a lot of talented players in. Some of them might be past their youth, but honestly, it does not matter as long as they perform well.

So far:

- Costa has shown promising tendencies (when he actually plays). From what i have seen he is a great player, just needs to find his spot in the team and feel comfortable.

- Matuidi is reliable and still looks strong physically. He already did better than Lemina ever did in that midfield, with his performance against Genoa.

- Berna is a great talent. Just need to adapt. It might take some time, but he is a potential top player.

- Schezny is a good GK. Not a bad backup to have at all.

- Howedes brings more experience, gives Rugani two great mentors to look up to and learn from (with him and Chellini), brings stability.

Good Mercato and damage reduction done. We still pack a really good squad with some fantastic players. :tup:

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Last season was amazing, 2 trophies and 45min away from a CL. Now we've started basically last year's team except Bonucci (Alves was a non-factor for 90% of the season). Bonucci is a loss yet we have Barzagli, Rugani and Benatia. Once the defense settles again, we won't notice much change. The team is still that amazing 11 that won so much last season.

Then we look to the bench and we see
Szceszny
Bentancur
Douglas Costa
Bernardeschi
De Sciglio
Howedes

Incredible.

Then I see that we conned some english team into spending money for Lemina, we got paid well for Rincon and even Neto. Romagna and Cassata who simply weren't going to play went for like 8m each, very good sale.

Nice looking prospects were signed
Orsolini
Caldara
Pereira
Del Fabro

Excellent mercato. Not 10/10 because RB should be improved. Something like 8/10. I would have liked Verratti or a similar quality in midfield but there didn't seem to be such opportunity. Lets hope next year we start with Spinazzola, Milinkovic-Savic (or someone similar), and a right back.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
6.5/10

Pros :
-Improved attacking depth significantly
-Added much needed fresh legs in midfield
-Brought a great keeper a year early so transition from post Buffon era becomes easier
-Retained Alex Sandro after a lot of uncertainty over his future

Cons:
-Sold a world class defender for peanuts. Also buying a scrap player from the buying club to make matters even worse. Single most terrible move of the mercato and this alone deducts -3 mercato points in my rating.
-While the midfield reinforcements are solid, it's still not a sizeable upgrade. We got a good, solid, player for the short term but he ain't world class and it's certainly not a signing which will take Juve to the next level. I thought the mercato would've promised much more but alas still a good signing.
-RB still an issue unless Höwedes can fill in for that spot and do a good job at it.

Overall : decent mercato but it dented my expectations quite a bit considering the season we had last year.
We didnt sell a worldclass defender. We got rid of a troublesome element in the dressing room.

Next year if Rugani would have completely shat all over Bonucci's legacy, you'll regret this

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Emre Can. Last minute attempt to revive bid following Marchisio injury. (FI)
Not really possible I think, Pool play with 433 and they have 5CM's which is already too thin, if they sold Can they'd have 4, besides he's a starter for them. From our targets maybe Gomes is doable on the last day of the window, but I'd rather not.

NitK

Jul 22, 2008
Not really possible I think, Pool play with 433 and they have 5CM's which is already too thin, if they sold Can they'd have 4, besides he's a starter for them. From our targets maybe Gomes is doable on the last day of the window, but I'd rather not.
Does that 5CM include Oxlade Chamberlain? Although different playing style completely.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Does that 5CM include Oxlade Chamberlain? Although different playing style completely.
well you're right, one is a DM and another one is a winger/CM hybrid, I don't see how Ox can free up Can unless Klopp has a formation change in mind. I wouldn't mind Can at 25m, would be a nice reserve for us considering that Marchisio is out and Khedira is in doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 67)