Steven Defour - CM - Standard Liege (1 Viewer)

JuvePower

Jan 2, 2006

Steven Defour (born 15 April 1988) is a Belgian footballer who plays as a midfielder for Standard Liège.

Career

Racing Genk
Defour had been with KV Mechelen since 2002. But when that team went bankrupt he was part of a mass exodus of young talent from the club. Steven Defour went to Racing Genk (together with future Genk players Marvin Ogunjimi, David Hubert & Anthony Limbombe). His Genk was as a substitute in the 2004–05 season but his big breakthrough was to be in the next season, when the 17 year old showed himself to be a playmaker in midfield with his passing ability. Defour wanted to leave for Ajax soon after, but Genk refused the transfer. After a drawn-out period of negotiations he eventually signed a contract for Standard.

Standard Liège

Defour signed a 5-year deal with Standard, and played alongside Portuguese star Sérgio Conceição and Croatian international Milan Rapaić in the 2006–07 season. At the start of the 2007-08 season Standard chose Defour as their captain despite only being 19 years old.
During the 2007–08 season Defour received the Golden Shoe, the official award for most valuable player in the league. He won this personal award at the same time as leading his team to their first Jupiler League title in 25 years. The next season was equally successful as Standard won the league for the second time in a row but only after a two-game play-off with Belgian heavyweights Anderlecht.
In late 2009 Defour broke his right foot. During his period of recovery he received a letter from Sir Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, wishing him all the best in his recovery.[2] This led to persistent rumours of a switch to the English giants. On 26 October talking to talksport Defour refuted these rumours by saying "I do know that Manchester United are monitoring me - if everything goes well and I continue playing as I am, there is a better chance of me leaving than there was at the start of the season. " [3]

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
JuvePower

JuvePower

Jan 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #2
    Several sources on the Internet are reporting that Juve are in talk with Standard de Liege.

Link

It's my first post here since a few years, and I am happy to be back :D

OP
    JuvePower

JuvePower

Jan 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #5
    He plays for the team I support in Belgium with all my heart. He is the captain and together with Witsel (very close to Milan now) they are the foundations of the team. He plays best as a controlling midfielder. A couple of years ago he got a serieus injury. While his recovery he got a personal letter from Sir Alex Ferguson to support him, with wink that he is following very closely.
    A massive player with splendid passing and shooting ability and good tackling skill.

The last years he is quite injury sensitive, that has delayed his potential transfer to a big club.

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    He plays for the team I support in Belgium with all my heart. He is the captain and together with Witsel (very close to Milan now) they are the foundations of the team. He plays best as a controlling midfielder. A couple of years ago he got a serieus injury. While his recovery he got a personal letter from Sir Alex Ferguson to support him, with wink that he is following very closely.
    A massive player with splendid passing and shooting ability and good tackling skill.

The last years he is quite injury sensitive, that has delayed his potential transfer to a big club.
    Me as an Anderlecht fan would be delighted with Defour at Juve.
    Him, Witsel, De Bruyne and Lukaku are the only 4 players I would want at Juve from our league.
    And, in two seasons or so, Courtois.

Hope the Defour rumour isn't BS.

OP
    JuvePower

JuvePower

Jan 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #10
    Juve is close with Standard de Liege, remember their friendly match played somewhere in France a couple of years ago. I think the goalkeeper Carini was a Juve player the time he played for Standard.

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    Juve is close with Standard de Liege, remember their friendly match played somewhere in France a couple of years ago. I think the goalkeeper Carini was a Juve player the time he played for Standard.
    Although currently, Milan and Standard seem closer (Sarr, Onyewu, Witsel).

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I guess Defour would take the place of Marchisio, right? Or does he play more of a holding role?

Younger players like these should be targeted over the likes of Inler.

OP
    JuvePower

JuvePower

Jan 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #19
    voetbalkrant.com
    They gossip a lot about Belgian teams but about European teams they are quite reliable.

EDIT: Mistake, was another Dutch speaking site, will look it up soon.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    Remember a lot of hype around him before his injury, then have not heard anything since.

Has he regained his form?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)