Steven Defour - CM - Standard Liege (1 Viewer)

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Cool, thanks.

Is he still injury prone?
He has been fit since the winter, except for 2 or 3 games .
A Mascheroni in his midfield days, with the passing of Pirlo :D
sums it up indeed
From watching in youth footie (plus some caps for Belgian), I would say little bit like Xabi Alonso with more defensive prowess, if you wanna mention "big" names. I havent seen him in ages, but is a clear capable talent, immediate impression back then was very mature for his age.
Lucas from Liverpool comes to mind also

He isn't a braker like f.e. Sissoko, De Jong or Makelele (back in the days) but more a controlling DM like Lucas or Alonso f.e. are

Nedvěd

I remember us (United) being heavily linked to him. Never watched him but he's rated highly.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I've never seen this guy play and can't find any good footage on him. He sounds like a Marchisio type of player. Complete all rounder.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Is he a champion?
Defour has the mentality of a champion

he is standard's conte
fantastic mentality

like i said 2 months ago, defour is the missing link on our midfield, a commanding midfielder, a captain

he would have more impact then all the fancy forwards we are linked with

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I've never seen this guy play and can't find any good footage on him. He sounds like a Marchisio type of player. Complete all rounder.
Defour has the leadership and champion mentality that marchisio lacks

when standard was playing on a high 2 years ago, kicking everton out of the champions league, and undeservedly lost out to liverpool, he was the big player, he was the best

he was more importand then fellaini, witsel, jovanovic, mbokani, and funny american guy who went to milan

if he wasent injured, he would be at man utd by now

probably a starter aswel

Jul 13, 2010
I think he can play on both positions but the last two seasons, he played as DM and he didn't dissapoint, also for Belgium, he plays as a controlling DM.
thats strange, cuz i knew him as a creative machine, and creative players not oftenly plays as a DM.. Maybe interesting

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
thats strange, cuz i knew him as a creative machine, and creative players not oftenly plays as a DM.. Maybe interesting
@ Standard, Witsel and Carcela are the "attacking" creative players and Defour is the DM playmaker type, a bit like Pirlo but more defensive minded.

Let's say
-------------Gigi------------
Beck/Lichtensteiner---Bonucci----Chiellini----Ziegler---
------Defour------Melo/Sissoko/Marchsio---
-------------Pirlo------------------
--Krasic------------------Pastore/Sanchez/Giovinco
--------------Matri---------------

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Defour, huh?
Might be worth the gamble, but he's going to be quite expensive.

He can play both as a holding midfielder (mostly does that these days), but also as a typical box to box or even attacking mid, and is pretty good in all these roles. So that's definitely a plus in my book. Pretty decent shot as well, high workrate, decent attitude.
On the other hand, he's always getting (different) injuries (could just be bad luck, but still) & that has seriously hampered his growth as a player. He's, obviously, often compared to Witsel, but unlike Witsel, Defour really hasn't made any progress the last 2 seasons. He's also not the "smartest" player, in terms of wasting a lot of unnecessary energy or positioning (at times). Shouldn't be too difficult too improve this side of his game though.

Right now, I don't think Defour would be an immediate upgrade for our midfield. But the potential is definitely there and just the change in scenery & the chance to compete in a more competitive team/league, could very well mean that it won't take too long (as in only a few months) for him to earn his spot.

Someone asked if the gap between both leagues wouldn't be too big, but that's difficult to say. Both Vandenborre & (especially) Onyewu were regarded as some of the best players in the Belgian league when they left for Italy, yet both failed miserably. But that obviously doesn't mean that the same would happen to Defour.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Hmm, interesting. I can't say I know anything about Defour, so I'm going with the info you guys give us, sounds pretty good. Cheers waffles. :tup: :D

OP
JuvePower

JuvePower

Jan 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #55
    Defour, huh?

He can play both as a holding midfielder (mostly does that these days), but also as a typical box to box or even attacking mid, and is pretty good in all these roles. So that's definitely a plus in my book. Pretty decent shot as well, high workrate, decent attitude.
    On the other hand, he's always getting (different) injuries (could just be bad luck, but still) & that has seriously hampered his growth as a player. He's, obviously, often compared to Witsel, but unlike Witsel, Defour really hasn't made any progress the last 2 seasons. He's also not the "smartest" player, in terms of wasting a lot of unnecessary energy or positioning (at times). Shouldn't be too difficult too improve this side of his game though.

Right now, I don't think Defour would be an immediate upgrade for our midfield. But the potential is definitely there and just the change in scenery & the chance to compete in a more competitive team/league, could very well mean that it won't take too long (as in only a few months) for him to earn his spot.

Someone asked if the gap between both leagues wouldn't be too big, but that's difficult to say. Both Vandenborre & (especially) Onyewu were regarded as some of the best players in the Belgian league when they left for Italy, yet both failed miserably. But that obviously doesn't mean that the same would happen to Defour.
    Mudingayi shows the opposite. Quite decent in Italy after playing for KAA Gent here.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    making it in a bigger league is also alot depending on the mentality and character of the player

van den borre was notoriously weak in that, and onyewo wasent the best eighter.

defour however, will be a succes anywere he goes with that fantastic mentality of his

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    :agree:
    His only obstacle might be that he is injured so quick, but hey, Kompany also had a few seasons like that and look at him now.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Defour, huh?

you mean more exp than pazienza?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)