South American Football (19 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
at least boca fans dont burn their own stadium, seriously though if you think this is boca fans alone you know little about futbol in argentina, sure this is embarrassing, even most likely it doesnt involve more than a couple of fans at most, but this is endemic and has a lot to do with barras doing security duty for their sections. Security and police even refused initially to take up the task for the first super of the 3 for that very reason.

So, enough of the let's $#@! on boca day, i can bring up just as amny if not more incidents involving los putos del tablon.
You certainly can. I can bring up many similar incidents involving River. The problem is endemic to footballing culture in Argentina.

But seriously man? What do you expect? Of course I'm going to shit on Boca for this incident. It happened yesterday. Not 20 years ago. Not 2 years ago. Not 2 months ago. Yesterday. Boca fans attacked River players, gave multiple players first degree chemical burns, burnt corneas in the eyes, respiratory problems, etc. Then they refused to leave the stadium or allow the River players to leave the stadium, threw garbage and other debris at them as they left a couple hours later under police protection. And yes, the Boca players and coach were arguing with River and the referee even after they knew what happened and the shape those 5 River players were in, asking for the game to continue.

SO yeah. I'm going to shit on Boca in the day or two following this incident. Just like you and other Boca fans shit all over River. You call us Riber all the time, and los putos del tablon.

Regardless, this incident will be moved on from, and I will enjoy watching River-Boca matches, and hope that this shit stops happening from both fan bases. And if the River fan-base does something like this, I'll shit all over River for it too.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.espnfc.com/copa-libertadores/58/blog/post/2450973/boca-juniors-river-plate-reflects-argentina-football

For ESPN this is quite a good article on the problem of violence in Argentine football in general.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
No arguments there, but it's natural for the players to want to play and I guarantee you the vast majority of the fans just wanted to watch football, like this article suggests the barras are the problem and neither the politicians nor the club's want them gone

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
No arguments there, but it's natural for the players to want to play and I guarantee you the vast majority of the fans just wanted to watch football, like this article suggests the barras are the problem and neither the politicians nor the club's want them gone
:tup:

I'm sorry for going over the top about it. Very exaggerated reaction in the heat of the moment on my part. Like you, I'd much rather have seen the rest of this match played out without incident, even if River had lost.

I don't know what to think about what CONMEBOL should do, thinking about from a calmer, more rational perspective. At some point they just need to crack down heavily on all this and force the clubs and politicians to do something about the violence in the stadia. Perhaps this is not the time.

Either way, whether the game is forfeited, or is replayed, it's very disappointing.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah. That's my gut reaction, and the initial upset over the incident definitely had me saying ban Boca for a year or two from South American competition. It's just what the heck does that solve in the current climate, and with the lack of resolve to tackle any of the bigger issues behind it? I don't know. CONMEBOL and South American FAs have had so long to deal with this issue, to crack down gradually, and they really haven't done a thing, so to throw the book at Boca, out of the blue... it'd be pretty crazy... and it'd likely only make the situation worse, without some concerted effort in coordination with each country's FA to start cleaning this mess up. Escalating the situation seems absurd if it's just an isolated response.

It's a shame too, because Boca is a beast of a team this year, and likely will be next year too... The start of another cycle that will likely culminate with Tevez returning in 13 months.

It's really crap that River couldn't get their act together in the group stage (embarrassing) and this shit had to happen in the Round of 16.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
ESPN

Boca Juniors out of Copa Libertadores after fan clashes with River Plate

Boca Juniors have been expelled from the Copa Libertadores following Thursday's night violent clashes between their supporters and players for rivals River Plate.

After asking for Boca to present evidence in their defence, CONMEBOL issued their judgment on Saturday night, removing the Argentine giants from South America's elite club competition in the round of 16.

In addition to their elimination from the tournament, Boca will also play their next four continental home games behind closed doors, have no traveling supporters at their next four continental away games, and pay a $200,000 fine.

Thursday's second leg of the round of 16 turned to chaos at the start of the second half when Boca supporters apparently cut an opening in a tunnel put up to protect players as they entered the field and filled it with pepper spray or mace to spray at their opponents.

River players stumbled onto the field to start the second half of the scoreless match covering their faces, rubbing their eyes and dousing themselves with bottles of water.

The players then huddled together at the center of Boca's compact La Bombonera stadium, seeking refuge alongside police and officials who waited more than an hour before suspending the game.

In Twitter posts made before the sanctions were official, the Copa Libertadores announced that the second leg would be considered final at the point it was interrupted, and River would advance on the back of their 1-0 win in the first leg.

Boca Juniors were the top-seeded team in the knockout stage after winning all six of their matches in the group stage.

As a result of the decisions, River Plate advance to the quarterfinals to play Brazilian side Cruzeiro, who defeated Sao Paulo on penalties in the round of 16.

In their sanctions, CONMEBOL also warned Boca that any repeat offences would lead to more penalties, though for the moment the club has escaped a potential penalty of being banned from future tournaments.
Crazy.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The sanction is a damn joke by the CONMEBOL, 4 games with closed doors, no tickets for their fans in 4 away games, $200k fine.

A damn joke.
A joke, as in not enough? Or too much?

I'm a River fan, and aside from initial outrage and overreaction on my part, context and precedent have to be taken into account. It's certainly bullshit coming from a European context. We'd probably be banned from European football for 5 years if we did this... but there isn't really precedent from CONMEBOL for crazy severe sanctions... Throwing the book at Boca would probably severely escalate an already tense and violent situation in Argentina. The Barras Bravas wield way too much power, and without some kind of concerted effort from all involved, a very severe (and appropriate) punishment probably would do nothing but cause chaos and rioting and even worse behaviour.

I'm not trying to condone CONMEBOL here, or the actions of Boca fans, but this has been going on for years in South America with CONMEBOL turning a blind eye for the most part. This should have been dealt with in the 90s and early 00s... or at least the process of escalating punishments for this stuff. But it wasn't because CONMEBOL is corrupt as hell as are the FAs of these countries. They make the Europeans look like angels. So, my point is, that CONMEBOL needs to gradually start giving harsher and harsher sanctions for this stuff and try to organize this in conjunction with the FAs and governments of each of these countries. Even FIFA can play a part, by threatening international competition bans... All this will hopefully get the gears moving in these countries to clean this shit up to some extent.

Sadly, it will probably never happen.

- - - Updated - - -

so what hapened?
Boca fans cut a hole in the tunnel where the players walk through and maced/pepper sprayed a half-dozen River Plate players as they came back on the pitch to start the 2nd half. 4 of them had first degree burns on their bodies from it, along with all of them having cornea inflammation and respiratory problems, that will take several days to recover from. They had to wait a couple hours to get them to a hospital as Boca fans wouldn't let them exit the pitch. After a couple hours enough riot police were organized to get them safely off the pitch, as fans pelted them with debris and garbage.

Insane scene.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
It's nothing new, in fact any Brazilian who kniws 2 shits about the Seleção knew this was happening. We couldn't prove it but it was so damn obvious.

Remember the olympics how i said some players were only called by Menezes to be part of the showcase to get (European) clubs interested?

The Brazilian Football federation has sold it's soul a long time ago but be sure it isn't the only one in the world. If only we knew everything that happens behind the curtains in the Football world, it's couldn't be any dirtier.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Boca Juniors will "exhaust resources" and could appeal to FIFA to get the final 45 minutes of their abandoned Copa Libertadores match against River Plate restored.

The Argentine giants were expelled from the competition following Thursday night's violent clashes between their supporters and players for rivals River Plate, in which a Boca fan appeared to spray eye irritant into the visitor's entrance tunnel during halftime.

CONMEBOL gave Boca 24 hours to present evidence on their behalf before levying the penalty. And the club's lawyer acknowledges the six-time Libertadores champs' defence faces an uphill battle.

"It's not an easy defence," Eduardo Carlezzo said in an interview with Brazil's Sport TV on Sunday. "Those images were strong and made their way around the world. Boca knew they could give out a heavy sanction. There was huge pressure to make it so when we arrived in Asuncion [CONMEBOL's headquarters], but still we will exhaust resources available. And once we have CONMEBOL's final decision, we could appeal to FIFA."
Is this a fucking joke?

They escape a competition ban, they have to only play 4 home matches behind closed doors, and they get tossed from a Copa Libertadores tie they were 45 minutes from being knocked out of anyways, and they're going to exhaust all resources to get the sanctions overturned and the match continued. Even appealing to FIFA now that CONMEBOL has rejected their appeal. Ridiculous. Show some humility and accept your "lenient" punishment. :sergio:

There's even rumour that FIFA is pissed that a harsher punishment wasn't levied, and is considering stripping South America of the World Cup playoff spot for 2018...

From the Buenos Aires Herald:

FIFA NOT PLEASED. According to a report from Futbol.AS.com, FIFA has deemed that the South American federation’s (CONMEBOL) penalty against Boca Juniors is not severe enough. Boca Juniors was disqualified from the Libertadores Cup tournament over the weekend, given a US$200,000 fine, and told they’d have to play their next four home games behind closed doors after some of the club’s fans peppersprayed visiting River Plate’s players on Thursday.
The report states, however, that FIFA does not see that as an exemplary disciplinary action and is contemplating stripping CONMEBOL of the World Cup playoff berth it currently has. Four teams from South America directly qualify for the World Cup, but an intercontinental playoff against a team from another confederation has been used in recent cycles to determine if a fifth can reach the tournament.
And Boca wants to appeal the sanctions all the way to FIFA. :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Boca is just being classless at this point.

Arruabarena insisting that the match continue to the ref even after seeing the burns inflicted on River players, and the obvious difficulty they were under with burning eyes and bodies. River players even lifted off their shirts to show the burns on their bodies.

Then the Boca players, immediately after the River players were pelted with garbage as they left the pitch, turned and applauded these disgusting assholes in the stands.

Boca Centre Back Daniel Diaz said the next day on TV that "it would seem logical to play on". Is he retarded? He knew what happened, that the players could hardly see, and had burns on their bodies. 4 River starters were in this condition. They couldn't have even made subs to finish the match.

And now this appeal of sanctions that are considered by most to be very lenient...

A complete joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)