[South America] 2010 World Cup qualifying thread (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
On the basis that he's Maradona. Before they were talking about banning him for the WC matches, but of course, they couldn't do that to their precious Diego.

It's obvious that his name would get him a lighter sentence. That's just the way the world works.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Andy is right, this is such a mockery of a punishment. Banning him for two months was FIFA's way of attempting to look like a harsh punishment but this is really just a joke, after what he did not being banned for even one competitive match is lunacy. Had it been Bob Bradley, he would have been banned from the World cup entirley

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
whaaaat? its the exact opposite it's because his name is maradona that we re even talking about this. theres nothing in the bylaws specific to this; FIFA has always hated him and it was no light sentence

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Andy is right, this is such a mockery of a punishment. Banning him for two months was FIFA's way of attempting to look like a harsh punishment but this is really just a joke, after what he did not being banned for even one competitive match is lunacy. Had it been Bob Bradley, he would have been banned from the World cup entirley
why? what did he do that was sooooo revolting? injure someone like say the egyptian fans? get real

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
why? what did he do that was sooooo revolting? injure someone like say the egyptian fans? get real
I personally thought it was hilarious what he did but my opinion has nothing to do with this. My point is that he got off much easier than any other coach would have. You can't honestly tell me that if Lippi or Domenech was to respond the same way to pressure form the public that they would get such a light sentence. I don't think Fifa should be handing out punishments for this because all Diego did was make a complete fool out of himself with some really unprofessional behavior and it really doesn't seem a FIFA matter but as long as they are, Diego should not get such preferential treatment.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I personally thought it was hilarious what he did but my opinion has nothing to do with this. My point is that he got off much easier than any other coach would have. You can't honestly tell me that if Lippi or Domenech was to respond the same way to pressure form the public that they would get such a light sentence. I don't think Fifa should be handing out punishments for this because all Diego did was make a complete fool out of himself with some really unprofessional behavior and it really doesn't seem a FIFA matter but as long as they are, Diego should not get such preferential treatment.
i can assure you that had either domenech or lippi done this they would get no sentence

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
whaaaat? its the exact opposite it's because his name is maradona that we re even talking about this. theres nothing in the bylaws specific to this; FIFA has always hated him and it was no light sentence
I know you love Maradona, but come on man, you can't be serious with this.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
i am letting you get off easy but since you must insist, once again give me fifa's specific law that says a coach can't rant off against journalists
Lewd and lascivious conduct comes to mind.

Does FIFA have a law about homicide or drunk driving? I don't think they do, but that doesn't mean Maradona can head out one night and start killing people in a drunken rampage and expect to be Argentina's coach next match.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Lewd and lascivious conduct comes to mind.

Does FIFA have a law about homicide or drunk driving? I don't think they do, but that doesn't mean Maradona can head out one night and start killing people in a drunken rampage and expect to be Argentina's coach next match.
lewd? last time i checked that was freedom of speech and if TVs have a problem with it they should just not have him on, are journalists part of fifa now? if they are they should be first to be banned then, you should read some of those glorious pieces of journalism in south america. And if he killed someone the last of his worries would be FIFA.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
i am letting you get off easy but since you must insist, once again give me fifa's specific law that says a coach can't rant off against journalists
What? You want me to spend my day reading through Fifa disciplinary code to find you a quote? There doesn't need to be a specific law claiming that coaches cannot tell the public and journalist to suck them off and make such hand gestures in public to anybody with half a brain that is obviously going to be included under the articles about unprofessional conduct which grants the Fifa disciplinary committee the right to invoke such sanctions. If you are the one who has doubts over their actions than you should spend the time reading through pages of Fifa articles, but insisting that only Diego would have been punished for this is really quite naive. I'm surprised that you aren't happy about this decision, Diego is lucky that he hasn't been banned for any competitive matches

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
lewd? last time i checked that was freedom of speech and if TVs have a problem with it they should just not have him on, are journalists part of fifa now? if they are they should be first to be banned then, you should read some of those glorious pieces of journalism in south america. And if he killed someone the last of his worries would be FIFA.
So you think he shouldn't be punished?

I guess there isn't any point in holding up a standard of decency in sport when Maradona is the vocal figure.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
i dont have doubts i challenged your claim that he should be punished, since you accuse him of doing something wrong per fifa whats THIS THING? if you dont know then you should refrain from saying this is not harsh enough

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What? You want me to spend my day reading through Fifa disciplinary code to find you a quote? There doesn't need to be a specific law claiming that coaches cannot tell the public and journalist to suck them off and make such hand gestures in public to anybody with half a brain that is obviously going to be included under the articles about unprofessional conduct which grants the Fifa disciplinary committee the right to invoke such sanctions. If you are the one who has doubts over their actions than you should spend the time reading through pages of Fifa articles, but insisting that only Diego would have been punished for this is really quite naive. I'm surprised that you aren't happy about this decision, Diego is lucky that he hasn't been banned for any competitive matches
It's easy to say that only Diego would be punished for such statements when he's probably one of the only few that would make them in the first place.

It's like saying, "yeah, so and so serial killer would only get charged for murdering and eating 15 people, but if it was Marcelo Lippi, his punishment would have been less severe."

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
i dont have doubts i challenged your claim that he should be punished, since you accuse him of doing something wrong per fifa whats THIS THING? if you dont know then you should refrain from saying this is not harsh enough

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
i already know the whole incident, part of my signature is what this whole fuss is about. Point is FIFA realized they have no case and chose to mitigate that by handing out a bogus penalty, if i were diego i d fight that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)