Smokin' (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2003
Thank god for rules like that.

Sorry, but imma truly anti smoking person :D

I heard in Surabaya there are rules where mostly smoking isn't allowed, but then you see everyone doing it - even guards at airports. Quite funny (and suffocating) in a way

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
They said on the news today that Ireland has introduced an anti-smoking law. Every closed public place in Ireland has to be smoke free, that includes restaurants and PUBS! :dazed:

Is that true, John?
:D Came in at midnight, some 16 hours ago. Smoking is now banned in all places of work, including pubs. Despite the Vintners' Association's dire warnings, the world has yet to stop spinning.

If you're that desperate for a smoke with your pint Dharurat, just step outside. ;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
But ... what is going out without the casual cigarette every now and then? :frown:

++ [ originally posted by Dharurat ] ++
i heard from a friend that in france, there were even ashtrays in hospital waiting rooms..... anyone can confirm this? Now THAT'S my kind of place...:D
I can confirm that. Though I cannot recommend a visit to a French doctor :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
But ... what is going out without the casual cigarette every now and then? :frown:
Eh, nothing as far as I can tell.

If you want a cigarette here now, you just step outside. Heck, you've had to do it in schools, colleges, cinemas and hospitals for as long as I've been around. How hard can it be? :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I don't have to step outside if I want to smoke in a hospital, cinema or college!

Your country is horrible. Whatever happened to freedom and democracy? Equal rights for everyone! Something like that was done here, I'd start a revolution :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I don't have to step outside if I want to smoke in a hospital, cinema or college!

Your country is horrible. Whatever happened to freedom and democracy? Equal rights for everyone! Something like that was done here, I'd start a revolution :D
Rights? Bah. Since when did an addiction confer rights? :fero:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Every adult is free to get addicted to whatever he wants imo. Be that soft drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or sex with prostitutes.

All of them legal over here of course :mute::D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Every adult is free to get addicted to whatever he wants imo.
When did I say that you're not free to become an addict? I simply stated that it doesn't convey any additional rights. Such as the right to fill the room I'm in with smoke.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Hey it's a free country. If you don't like it, leave.

I suppose the current solution (they have non-smoking and smoking areas in most public places over here) works the best. A spot for everyone, no problems.

There's no need to ban people who have habits/addictions from public life! That's like punishing them for not commiting any crime!!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Hey it's a free country. If you don't like it, leave.
Why should someone have to leave because someone else is indulging in a habit like that?

I suppose the current solution (they have non-smoking and smoking areas in most public places over here) works the best. A spot for everyone, no problems.
If you have smoking/non-smoking sections, you have problems with ventilation - a better system costs more, a bill picked up by the non-smokers with the smokers equally. Then you've trouble with the odd cretin who'll ignore the no-smoking signs and light up anyway.

It's a way, but the idea behind this one is to make smoking socially unacceptable, and eventually make it so unpopular that it's just not done. The arguement is on health grounds as much as anything else.

There's no need to ban people who have habits/addictions from public life! That's like punishing them for not commiting any crime!!
They're not banned. They just can't indulge inside. :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Why should someone have to leave because someone else is indulging in a habit like that?
Nono, someone would have to leave because he is penalising someone for having a habit at all.

If you have smoking/non-smoking sections, you have problems with ventilation - a better system costs more, a bill picked up by the non-smokers with the smokers equally. Then you've trouble with the odd cretin who'll ignore the no-smoking signs and light up anyway.

It's a way, but the idea behind this one is to make smoking socially unacceptable, and eventually make it so unpopular that it's just not done. The arguement is on health grounds as much as anything else.
I just don't understand why smokers are picked out so much. Alcoholics or drunks are far more threatening to anyone's health (let alone peace and quiet) than any smoker. Yet I don't see any rule that prevents these people from drinking in a public place.

They're not banned. They just can't indulge inside. :D
The effect is the same. It's like telling someone who's fond of coffee to stop drinking it in any public place. Coffee is addictive as well, I'm sure you knew that. Prohibiting someone to drink it in a public place is a serious breach into that person's life and freedom.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Nono, someone would have to leave because he is penalising someone for having a habit at all.
:confused:

I just don't understand why smokers are picked out so much. Alcoholics or drunks are far more threatening to anyone's health (let alone peace and quiet) than any smoker. Yet I don't see any rule that prevents these people from drinking in a public place.
You can't drink on the street here, or in a football ground. :D You can't smoke in a place of work, but you can on the street. Come to think of it, you can't really drink in a place of work either, except for pubs. ;)

The effect is the same. It's like telling someone who's fond of coffee to stop drinking it in any public place. Coffee is addictive as well, I'm sure you knew that. Prohibiting someone to drink it in a public place is a serious breach into that person's life and freedom.
Coffee doesn't release smoke all over the place, leave my clothes smelling of it the next day, or contain 600 carcinogens. :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
You can't drink on the street here, or in a football ground. :D You can't smoke in a place of work, but you can on the street. Come to think of it, you can't really drink in a place of work either, except for pubs. ;)
It's pubs I'm mainly concerned about. This is a place you go to relax, have a drink and a smoke if that's your thing. I just think it's wrong to ban that.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Jeez, what's so hard to understand?

Smoking = smoke, Smoke = bad. Alcohol = releases no objectionable gasses, alcohol = not significant to other people.

If you wanna drink methanol or eat sandwiches soaked in gasoline, I don't care, it doesn't affect me. Smoking does.

Sep 28, 2002
i disagree with you erik. not being able to smoke while having a beer is indeed very annoying but non smokers are annoyed even more. i dont mind smoking smoking outside at all, its even more fun but winters here are cold. then what? they should install some kind of smoking places inside. ****, i wont be able to smoke. :scared:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)