Road to WC2006 (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
I feel you can support any nation as long as there's some sort of tie. I myself am Dutch and my family has been Dutch since its existence so I support Holland.

A friend of mine is also Dutch (born and raised here) but his parents are from Morocco and he grew up in Moroccan culture and the first language he learnt was Moroccan, from his parents. Hence he supports Morocco because that's the nation he feels closest to.

What I find proposterous is people who passionately support a nation based on little or nothing. Like people supporting Italy ferociously just because Juventus is Italian. Makes no sense as far as I'm concerned.
Exactly my feelings as well Erik, and I was about to say how ridiculous the latter example is...prefering a country just because your favorite club side resides there is an absolute joke as far as I'm concerned. If you have no ties to a nation how can you exactly call it your own?

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Rami ] ++

See Greg's post;)

Yes I saw Greg's post, but still it doesn't answer my question. You are mixing religion with a sport regardless of what Islam believes. In your logic, you would support a team rival to your favourite team because they purchased a Muslim player.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

This is what happens when you mess with The Upsetter :p

You're a good guy Rami. Did your brother smoke weed when he had the afro? I bet he did.
La til3ab fe Al-nar ti7ra2 a9abee3ak;)

oobia man?? he was stoned 24/7:p.....JK

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

A club is a commercial institute. A national team is based on national unity through historic, cultural and often linguistical ties imo
Not everone will see it that way. To some the two are interchangable.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

And you. I really know in which country were you brought up. I know it's an Arab country and you admire the Lebanese dialect. Do you still have the clip I sent you? :D
Eyri b'damiirou :D I actually lived in other countries as well and grew to appreciate their culture. But the arab one just stayed with me more i guess

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by RochemBeck ] ++
Exactly my feelings as well Erik, and I was about to say how ridiculous the latter example is...prefering a country just because your favorite club side resides there is an absolute joke as far as I'm concerned. If you have no ties to a nation how can you exactly call it your own?
Exactly. I can understand if during a match you start to form preferences towards a team based on their style of play and I can also understand sympathising with a nation because you know most of the players or like/support most of the players. But when it gets to passionate active support of a nation that isn't your own in any way I get puzzled :undecide:

++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Not everone will see it that way. To some the two are interchangable.
Imo that falls under the category of liking most of the players of a team because they happen to be from a club you support. But still that's not enough reason to act as if you were a resident of the nation in question

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004

Yes I saw Greg's post, but still it doesn't answer my question. You are mixing religion with a sport regardless of what Islam believes. In your logic, you would support a team rival to your favourite team because they purchased a Muslim player.
No my logic is that all these borders between Islamic countries are only 80 or so years old. Its not the way it is supposed to be...you are Lebnanese Jack, and if you don't feel the same, then at least I believe that you should understand where its coming from.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by RochemBeck ] ++

Partly...it makes more sense than prefering a country you have no ties to or perhaps never even been to. You live off the land, you converse with the fans, you make a living here, you were born here...all points to your support of this nation. Doesn't make sense any other way IMO..
I wonder how many people will root for the US if they played Italy in the world cup. And italians are different from the example Swag talked about. Most are 2-3rd generation and they still root for italy.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Mixing religion and sport? :wallbang:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Rami ] ++

No my logic is that all these borders between Islamic countries are only 80 or so years old. Its not the way it is supposed to be...you are Lebnanese Jack, and if you don't feel the same, then at least I believe that you should understand where its coming from.
I am Lebanese but Lebanon was never an Islamic country, and I don't think it will be. Hell, you can never define it, we have seventeen different sects in a country of three million. But still, I don't understand the logic you are presenting. I strongly believe that religion should have nothing to do with sports, that's why we like sports because they are sports.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Imo that falls under the category of liking most of the players of a team because they happen to be from a club you support. But still that's not enough reason to act as if you were a resident of the nation in question
No, I mean some people get into the whole Italy experience because they like an Italian club, so it's more than just a club (yes I stole that expression from Barcelona) so to speak. On the other hand, some people support a national team just like they would a club, they don't care about the language or the culture, they just like it for the sport.

Jan 7, 2004

Exactly. I can understand if during a match you start to form preferences towards a team based on their style of play and I can also understand sympathising with a nation because you know most of the players or like/support most of the players. But when it gets to passionate active support of a nation that isn't your own in any way I get puzzled :undecide:
i couldnt do it. i tried to be a passionate fan of the czechs in euro. it just wasnt happening

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
No, I mean some people get into the whole Italy experience because they like an Italian club, so it's more than just a club (yes I stole that expression from Barcelona) so to speak. On the other hand, some people support a national team just like they would a club, they don't care about the language or the culture, they just like it for the sport.
All very good reasons for sympathising with a nation if/when you get to see them play; but to actively follow the nation, become a die-hard fan, sleep in the jersey, spend millions and travel thousands of miles to watch them play live... That's taking it too far as far as I'm concerned :undecide:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++

How about all these teams from Europe failing to beat those from inferior continent? Beside, Italia and Spain hardly have best records against African countries.
I also heard both Sweden and Serbia struggled against Korea, albeit they had to travel across Eurasia continent.
The matter of fact is European doesnt have a monopoly on the sports anymore. I will be very suprised if countries like Ivory Coast, Ghana, and co. don't make upsets.
Beside Brazil, who are exactly dominant anyway?
England? Give me break.
Europe may not be as dominant as they once were but it is pointless to deny that some of the European teams not going to the WC in Germany, such as Turkey, Denmark, Norway and Russia, are better teams than the likes of Trinidad and Tobago, Togo, Costa Rica and Angola.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004

I am Lebanese but Lebanon was never an Islamic country, and I don't think it will be. Hell, you can never define it, we have seventeen different sects in a country of three million. But still, I don't understand the logic you are presenting. I strongly believe that religion should have nothing to do with sports, that's why we like sports because they are sports.
Its not just sports Jack!! Most Muslims feel a bond between each other, even though they are fighting each other but its kinda like "ana o a5oya 3ala ibn 3ami, o ana o ibn 3ami 3al *3areeb" (me and my brother against our cousin, and me and my cousin against a stranger).....why do you think that all Muslims are Arabs are enraged from whats happening in Iraq and Palestine? This feeling of brethrenship is in all fields not sports. this might be a feeling alien to you, but it what we muslims feel. Hell the feeling is also intermixed and interwined between Muslim and Arab, if there was a non-muslim lebnaneese athelate I would cheer for him....Of course it will never be the way I root for Saudi, but the feeling is there....I hope I made my poing clear...

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001

A club is a commercial institute. A national team is based on national unity through historic, cultural and often linguistical ties imo
what that have to do with sport Erik?my support to my national team is like the way you said,but when I support Italy,it has nothing to do with that,absolutely.
it's just the game,the stupid defensive way they play maybe :D

but if we talk about Brazil?everybody loves the way they play it,isn't it normal to become fans of Brazil for example?

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001

my point exactly Graig.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Altair ] ++

I wonder how many people will root for the US if they played Italy in the world cup.
I do not understand the relevance of this question...of course more people will prefer the Azzurri over the United States. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of the viewers of the match prefer Italy...that is exactly my point.

And italians are different from the example Swag talked about. Most are 2-3rd generation and they still root for italy.
I really do not know what to think about people such as this...I understand how they love the country of their family before their adopted nation, however the fans who do not show any sympathy for the States at all really get on my nerves. Like I stated earlier these people live off the land, are United States citizens, and have made a name for themselves under the watchful eye of other US citizens...surely you can give some support to your own nation. I think those citizens who prefer Italy over the US without a shadow of a doubt are doing so because of the glory...it's like me prefering Germany just because my great grandparent were born there. More I think about it the more I consider it suspicious.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by snoop ] ++
what that have to do with sport Erik?my support to my national team is like the way you said,but when I support Italy,it has nothing to do with that,absolutely.
it's just the game,the stupid defensive way they play maybe :D

but if we talk about Brazil?everybody loves the way they play it,isn't it normal to become fans of Brazil for example?
I already explained that. There's a difference between liking and being a die-hard fan

Anyway I'm off. Talk to you peeps later. Or not. I'm a bit bored by this subject to be honest :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)