Polski Thread || Polak nie wielbłąd, pi(sa)ć musi (4 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Its one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. Alongside the (similar) slavic languages, Mandarin and its localised derivatives, and iirc russian due to the Cyrillic alphabet

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
:seven: at french taking 500 hours
That's meant to be 500 classroom hours. On top of that they had x hours of homework, so it adds up. And it's supposed to mean how many hours of study they had to train people for before they could function as diplomats in the target country.

The point of this table, though, is the relative effort between language groups.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That's meant to be 500 classroom hours. On top of that they had x hours of homework, so it adds up. And it's supposed to mean how many hours of study they had to train people for before they could function as diplomats in the target country.

The point of this table, though, is the relative effort between language groups.
i understand that, no way can a normal english speaking person get anywhere near function as a diplomat with 500 classroom hours of french. And my point is french is much harder than german and other languages listed as harder for english speakers.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I was basing my statement on what i'd been told by people learning, fluent or native in a certain language. French isn't that hard, compared to polish. I don''t see myself ever attaining fluency in polish due to the tenses & genders. But im doing my best to string together simple conversations and make statements/ask for things.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
i understand that, no way can a normal english speaking person get anywhere near function as a diplomat with 500 classroom hours of french. And my point is french is much harder than german and other languages listed as harder for english speakers.
I'm not so sure of that. I'm finding French somewhat harder than Italian, yes, but not by that much.

- - - Updated - - -

I was basing my statement on what i'd been told by people learning, fluent or native in a certain language. French isn't that hard, compared to polish. I don''t see myself ever attaining fluency in polish due to the tenses & genders. But im doing my best to string together simple conversations and make statements/ask for things.
The trick is talking and trying to talk. Perfectionism is the worst enemy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)