Patrick Vieira (4 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++

Sure. However, i think Capello would instill enough faith in him to play through the Coppa as well as Serie A fixtures which are followed by CL games midweek. Capello doesnt have enough faith in Chimenti, but it could be different with Pagliuca. I for one, would love to see him take up the role Rampulla left behind.
This is how I feel:

++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

Besides, I wouldn't want Pagliuca to end his career as a sub, he deserves to go out on a high.

ashwin

Jul 19, 2005
well damn, he our captain and all, and he's gone. but i guess arsenal has to move on, been with our club for 9 years and given us a heck of alot. in the end i trust wengers judgement (as i was just telling jeekz). he shocked the world by dumping overmars, petit, and anelka, and in all three occasions (well two, petit and overmars went together), its paid off. i really dont think vieira will be able to keep it up for five years, which i believe is the length of the contract he has at juve. especially considering how much the guy runs in a match. he's 29, i think he'll still be a class act at 31, but after that i reckon he'll have to start fighting for first team places again.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
That'll be no problem, by then we'll find another midfielder, you can't always look at the long term future, or else you won't be able to win tropihes.

Our goals are clear, champions league title, and the expensive tag we paid for Vieira is exactly for that purpose. Because to win that trophy, a team needs maturity also.

Perhaps maintaining veterans at the club was what Arsenal had missing in their European campaign.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Vieira was a wonderful capture but i would have been so much happier if we also got Pizzarro from udinese , instead we allowed inter to get him like they actually need a palyer like that with Veron, Cambiasso and all

We also need energy in that midfield, the likes of which only Giannichedda can supply if they are going to get rid of Blasi.

No, Blasi has not got any skills to speak of and neither really does Giannichedda but what they with Gatusso, and the twins at Lazio bring is high octane energy to a midfield which Vieira and Emerson, better standard of players and world class they maybe, do not bring to your side

Pizarro would have brought much needed class where he could have been able to take the ball off our defence and make telling passes instead of the silly long putting of the ball , our defenders use
I mean we now have Kovac and he has less ability on the ball than Cannavaro and thats frightening

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Vieira will last longer in serie a than he would in the premiership cos he's aging and seria a would suit his game. the premiership is alot faster more rash etc, while in Italy u have a few seconds more which patrick will notice so he will do well with us. Ashwin vieira is a champion and will last longer than you think.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Moggi D'Messiah ] ++
Vieira will last longer in serie a than he would in the premiership cos he's aging and seria a would suit his game. the premiership is alot faster more rash etc, while in Italy u have a few seconds more which patrick will notice so he will do well with us. Ashwin vieira is a champion and will last longer than you think.
Whom are you talking to and whats ashwin vieria? I hope you dont think i am saying Vieira is not a good buy cos he is but in that midfield there has to be aggression and Emerson and Vieira are both very tough but neither is aggressive and lets face it neither are great in the creative sense and i am not talking about serieA per se but Cl where we tend to be found out. We lost to Liverpool cos we were lacking in creativity chronically but also we were not aggressive or seem to have that agressive type of midfielder like the ones i just mentioned. Davids did that when he was here

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

Pizarro would have brought much needed class where he could have been able to take the ball off our defence and make telling passes instead of the silly long putting of the ball , our defenders use
I mean we now have Kovac and he has less ability on the ball than Cannavaro and thats frightening
Well, you can thank Capello for not getting Pizarro. Supposedly he is not good enough defensively to suit Fabio, and I sort of agree with him. However what we would gain with Pizarro picking the ball up in midfield would take away from his lack of defensive ability simply because we wouldn't give the ball away as much with him pulling the strings.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Exactly. What Pizarro lacks defensively he more than makes up for offensively. I would have loved to add his creativity, technical ability and passing skills to our midfield. Having him would have made us a much better attacking team and I don't think that we would have sacrificed a great deal defensively. That said, I'm still very, very happy with Vieira :D

Jun 16, 2005
TERRIBLE!!!! TERRIBLE IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!
Vieira belongs to Arsenal, ARSENAL!! No matter how much I love Juve Arsenal will always be THE BEST!!! and this is so sad:down: I can of course only imagine that Vieira will do good in Juve, why wouldn't he, his legs are long enough for pulling through anything.. but uhhh.. no, damn it, don't split my Arsenal like this!:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well to be honest it did not look like Vieira wanted to play at Arsenal any more with some of performances. For some reason he struck me as a player who tried to give his best even though he wanted something else, which was a move to a team that could actually challenge for the Champions League. Not to cut down Arsenal, however they are not in the same league as Juventus in Europe. Vieira's decision is certainly understandable from a professional point of view, and he should fit nicely into Juventus. Even though Arsenal lost a great player, they should be able to cope without a player who did not want to play for them anymore. You do not need problems like that.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Moggi defends ‘foul happy’ Vieira Monday 15 August, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus director general Luciano Moggi has defended new signing Patrick Vieira from criticism that he commits too many fouls.

Moggi, the man responsible for his £14m capture from Arsenal, concedes that the player gets stuck in but maintains that his quality will serve the club well.

"Vieira is a champion," said the transfer guru. "He may have the odd negative but he has so many positives.

"His fouls? Committing fouls is a normal aspect of football but he doesn’t ‘eat’ players.

"He is one of the best central midfield players in Europe and we are counting on him this season.

"Milan let him go when he was a youngster but today he is a champion."

Vieira is taking his time to settle in Turin, but he could form one of the world’s most accomplished central midfield partnerships alongside Emerson in the new campaign.

Moggi was also not surprisingly again asked about a possible move for Antonio Cassano of Roma.

That after Lapo Elkann – heir to the Agnelli empire – said: "Juve want to win everything and in order to do that they need Cassano. We’ll sign him next summer on a free transfer."

Moggi replied: "He was probably just saying that to friends over dinner and it was only his opinion.

"Cassano could be of interest to us but we are already well covered in attack."

Dec 26, 2004
:wallbang:
I cann't believe that Chelsea paid £26m for Essien (twice what we paid for Vieira)
If ya put this amount of money and Moggi in the same place ya will secure Ronaldinho's signature at the end of the day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)