Official: Cannavaro(O surdato 'nnammurato) wins Golden Ball (1 Viewer)

Juventico

Apr 7, 2005
The World Cup one, I think is awarded by the FIFA's own WC technical committee, or however they want to call it.

The Ballon D'Or is given by the France Football magazine, and we can only hope they realize that Gigi deserves it. (It'd be kinda a cute for them to share the prize, neither Canna nor Gigi will have another shot at it, and both of them perform better and outstanding when working together: Parma, Juve, Italy).

Buy on AliExpress.com

AzzurriGirl

Jul 23, 2006
This is a small part of an interview that Canna did today with goal.com written by editor Sergio Stanco:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=172593

From Captain Del Piero to Captain Raul: a similarity which they have?
Yes, they both have more or less the same character and are players with a similar story: first hailed then criticized, but who managed to come out of it greatly thanks to their moral strength.

Do you follow the events of Italian football? What do you think?
Yes I follow them, even though from the hotel it’s difficult. Unfortunately I don’t have the satellite TV yet and I must use internet to inform myself.

And your Juve?I always follow them with affection and I’m happy that things are going well. I’m convinced that the qualities of the players and the club will come out in the long run. They are lads used to fighting, from this point of view they're the number one.

Let’s clear the table from any misunderstandings: there was no possibility of remaining with Juve even in Serie B?
We spoke a lot about it with the club. If there wasn’t this difficult situation, I would have never left Turin. We were all very well, the club always gave me everything I needed, the fans are exceptional, but I had to make a choice and despite my 33 years of age, I was convinced that I could still play at high levels. It’s not a matter of abandoning the ship. The decision was a suffered one. Juve understood it and even in this occasion they proved special. I think it was the best decision for everyone.

Does it still hurt that Scudetto on the Inter shirt?It’s useless denying it, it is annoying. Because that Scudetto, actually those Scudetti, we deserved them on the pitch and we feel they’re ours. No one can take them away from us.

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
Jun-hide said:
Isnt Pallon D'or awarded on the basis of votes by journalists across Europe. Ditto for the World Cup. I don't think it was FIFA intention to award to Zizou after the infamous incident. The vote was taken by the journalists before the game finished and one must wonder not why Zizou was awarded the trophy but why on earth do you vote for the best player when the final hasnt even finished?

Anyway, it seems to me Canna and Gigi are both equally deserving if this was a lifetime achievement. But Canna has been remarkably consistent throughout this year (I dun know about Real though) whilst Gigi has been injured significant time. This is probably the tie-breaker for me. As Mark said trophy should be awarded on the basis of season. Now I don't think Gigi will ever end up winning the trophy again unless he wins Euro, WC, or Champions League - the odds are stacked up against it. Its pity that the greatest GK of all time could conceivably finish his career with no distinguishable lifetime achievement award whilst likes of Michael Owen could claim to have been once an European Player of the year. Then again neither Baresi or Maldini won anything in their career. More frustrating is that you can only asks the journalists to recognize the value of defensive players.

Couldn't agree more...

+rep

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
AzzurriGirl said:
This is a small part of an interview that Canna did today with goal.com written by editor Sergio Stanco:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=172593

And your Juve?I always follow them with affection and I’m happy that things are going well. I’m convinced that the qualities of the players and the club will come out in the long run. They are lads used to fighting, from this point of view they're the number one.

Does it still hurt that Scudetto on the Inter shirt?It’s useless denying it, it is annoying. Because that Scudetto, actually those Scudetti, we deserved them on the pitch and we feel they’re ours. No one can take them away from us.

:agree:

Ellie

Nov 20, 2006
dick said:
Cannavaro can only win my left ball in Real Madrid.He shouldn't have sold us.
sold us??? sorry, if Alex went to RM, so we could said "sold" but who's Canna? He played for Juve only 2 years. He always said he wanna return to Napoli not to play for Juve till the retiring. And besides he has 3 children to support. So what were you waiting from him?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Opinion: Gigi not so golden Tuesday 21 November, 2006

It looks like Fabio Cannavaro is set to pip Gigi Buffon to the 2006 Golden Ball. And, as Richard Godden argues, justice seems to have been done

Michel Platini and Marco Tardelli are among the leading football figures to have crowned Juventus goalkeeper Gigi Buffon as Europe’s best player of 2006. If the world’s most expensive shot-stopper does receive the Golden Ball – which would, incidentally, be the first time that a custodian has won it since the great Lev Yashin in 1963 – it would be a travesty.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a pretty impressive year for the man with the safest hands in world football. Having conceded just 12 goals in 18 Serie A appearances in 2006 after recovering from a dislocated shoulder, he then went on to star in Italy’s World Cup triumph, proving particularly decisive in the quarter-final clash against the Ukraine.

However, I find it hard to believe that he can be considered to be the best player in Europe when he wasn’t even Italy or Juve’s leading light in the corresponding period. That man, just as he had been for the 18 months leading up to the Mondiale triumph, was Fabio Cannavaro. Widely regarded as the key to the Bianconeri’s success in Fabio Capello’s two-year spell at the club, he is now helping Real Madrid return to the top of Spanish football.

But rather than wish for success over his old mate Gigi, the Azzurri skipper has come up with an idea which would satisfy both men. “I would give two Golden Balls, one for me and one for Buffon – is that possible?” he joked.

“Between myself and Gigi there’s respect and friendship, but in any case I hope that an Italian wins it because it would be a positive sign for our footballing movement. I’m already satisfied with what happened this past summer, but the Golden Ball would be an additional sign of respect towards me.”

The Neapolitan has been a model of consistency since putting his Inter nightmare behind him, and not many people in the world – apart from a few disgruntled Frenchmen – would argue that he didn’t deserve to thrust the famous gold trophy high into the Berlin night sky on the day that he won his 100th cap for the Azzurri.

But it would seem that most – Platini and Tardelli included – have quite a short memory. Having received plaudits throughout the tournament as Italy’s top player, and rightly so, the man now dubbed 'The Berlin Wall’ seems to have become football’s forgotten man. Given that he stands a mere 1.76m tall [to put that in perspective, Diego Maradona is 1.65m], it’s hardly surprising. But that makes him all the more remarkable.

How often have you read about a youngster being turned down by a club for being too small? Usually that applies to strikers and midfielders, let alone defenders, but such is Fabio’s incredible spring and ferocious tenacity, his height doesn’t even become an issue. Despite facing off against some of the world’s top headers of the ball in Mark Viduka, Brian McBride and Miroslav Klose, Cannavaro always came out on top – Italy conceded just one goal in open play during the tournament, and even that was a freak own goal by Cristian Zaccardo.

And not only is he a fiercely competitive player, but he also manages to do so whilst being fair. Not once was he cautioned at Germany ’06, and even in times of adversity he was able to crack a smile. When Marco Materazzi was sent off in the second round against Australia, young Andrea Barzagli was thrown on alongside Canna. Rather than panic, the experienced centre-back just smiled at his partner and told him: “Let’s have some fun!”

The Real Madrid man has already missed out on winning the Golden Ball awarded to the best player at the World Cup, thanks largely to the fact that the votes were accumulated before eventual winner Zinedine Zidane’s savage head-butt on Materazzi. It truly would be a sad day in football if he were to miss out again in the Ballon d’Or voting – although I’m sure he would just smile and get on with his usual day-to-day business. And that’s why the plucky native of Naples deserves to be crowned as Europe’s top player.

Channel4
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

:groan: Look at this guy, like Buffon doesn't smile all the time too :D

Sicilian Juve

May 17, 2006
I do not understand the mind set of some of you. I love Juve and Italian football. Just because he left, all of the sudden he is persona non grata. I respect him for the time he spent here and for what he did for the azzurri. He is a legend and is deserving of this award(though Gigi deserved it more). Stop thinking only in black and white and respect your adversaries. Because if totti put on the colors of the bianconeri all of the sudden he is a god around here.

alex74

Oct 1, 2006
:agree:
and besides Canna has only been in Juve for 2 seasons, he didnt betray anyone we all know his team was Napoli anyway, its not like Dp,Camo,Pavel, Trezeguet, Zambro who have all be on more that 2 years.

Forza Fabio:toast:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Sicilian Juve said:
I do not understand the mind set of some of you. I love Juve and Italian football. Just because he left, all of the sudden he is persona non grata. I respect him for the time he spent here and for what he did for the azzurri. He is a legend and is deserving of this award(though Gigi deserved it more). Stop thinking only in black and white and respect your adversaries. Because if totti put on the colors of the bianconeri all of the sudden he is a god around here.
Just check out "Maldini's retirement" thread and see that Juve fans are actually world's most objective and humble :D

PS and I think most of Juventini actually like Totti as a player

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
cannavaro would not win it, if he would still be playing for juve, so no chanse for buffon, and that has nothing to do with playing in serie b.

Juventico

Apr 7, 2005
Elvin said:
Just check out "Maldini's retirement" thread and see that Juve fans are actually world's most objective and humble :D
Everyone not in Juve is bad and evil and doesn't deserve any respect! Maldini smells bad, and Totti doesn't brush his teeth. :p

Actually I do respect both of them, and about Canna other than being sad that he isn't in Juve anymore I still love that guy. Bad match for him today, tho.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sicilian Juve said:
Exactly. Totti's a very good example by the way. He has been mocked here for years, but he's a great player.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Juventico said:
Actually I do respect both of them, and about Canna other than being sad that he isn't in Juve anymore I still love that guy. Bad match for him today, tho.
Surprise surprise

lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)