Official: Cannavaro(O surdato 'nnammurato) wins Golden Ball (7 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
If Zidane wins FIFA player of the year. I say it is a crime. It is a crime against trying to dupe people and liable to blatant fraud. Playing your minds off for couple of matches cannot take precedent over the performances through entire year. Those who have voted for Zizou should give forfit the right to live because their lack of any considerable intelligence is a waste of human life. Titi Henry deserves some recognition for all the years of consistent effort he put in.

I am keeping my hopes of that we will be able to keep Gigi. I will take his words that he is still undecided and hopefully he makes up correct choice by dissing the move to Inter. I don't care if he stays or not. The prospect of watching Gigi with Inter and winning CL would be too much to bare. That team is pretty awesome collection of individuals bar GK. They are a match for both Chelski and Barca, pound for pound.

Beside I think world class players like Gigi will be the difference between us being competitive and possibly challenging for lo Scudetto, especially the looking at the current defence, or lack of.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
ThePLaya said:
does not dererve it Honestly

You've got very convincing arguments...:disagree:

Of course he deserves it. Whether we (the Juve fans) are happy about it is another question. Personally, I am very happy because I've always liked him and somehow I can't stop doing that :p

He was the best player of the WC and had a great season with Juve. The matches with Real didn't count much in the voting...Even though officially it'a a price for a year and not for a season we all know that in reality it's not like that. It makes much more sense to award a season anyway...

I liked AzzurriGirl's thoughts about his performances in Spain. Which player doesn't sometimes take a bit of time to adapt to a new team in a new country. Plus, without any preparation at all (coz' he didn't have one - which is of course Capello's fault because he didn't give him the time).

And I have to say: he struggled in september but from october on he wasn't bad at all!

My point: Well deserved price :D

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
mikhail said:
Buffon's time will come.
If not now then I wonder when. Gigi has been giving more than 100%. I don't know what you meant by time. If he needs to performe better than what he's giving.

On the other hand Fabio has been Excellent If not the best during the World-Cup, but like Fliakis said Gigi deserve It more than Fabio who has been out-form since joining madrid unlike the inform gigi.

Shame for our super-man, but congrats for Fabio If he really won it.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
i still think that Gigi lost it cause he stayed here with us in serie B, if he had played in the top leagues(unless he made some horrible blunders)then he would've won it.
Especially since canna didnt have the best of starts at his new club.

Also i would consider that Gigi has been consistent all his life, while Canna had that very rough patch during his Inter days.

The sad part is that Gigi's time could never come again, some great players like Maldini and Baresi and many others missed it

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
snoop said:
If he would move, he would have done it at the begining of this season, he will stay here with Juve, stop doubting about him over and over again.
I hope you're right Snoop.
I think Gigi deserves the Ballon D'Or more than Canna. If Gigi wasn't in it, I would say Canna deserved it.

Jun-hide said:
If Zidane wins FIFA player of the year. I say it is a crime. It is a crime against trying to dupe people and liable to blatant fraud. Playing your minds off for couple of matches cannot take precedent over the performances through entire year. Those who have voted for Zizou should give forfit the right to live because their lack of any considerable intelligence is a waste of human life. Titi Henry deserves some recognition for all the years of consistent effort he put in.

I am keeping my hopes of that we will be able to keep Gigi. I will take his words that he is still undecided and hopefully he makes up correct choice by dissing the move to Inter. I don't care if he stays or not. The prospect of watching Gigi with Inter and winning CL would be too much to bare. That team is pretty awesome collection of individuals bar GK. They are a match for both Chelski and Barca, pound for pound.

Beside I think world class players like Gigi will be the difference between us being competitive and possibly challenging for lo Scudetto, especially the looking at the current defence, or lack of.
:agree: I want Gigi to stay too! If he does, he will inprove our chances of winning a CL place/scudetto for the following season. The board should Not sell him to inter. That would be a travesty! Look what happened to Francesco Toldo - he was once a very promising young keeper. Now he is languishing at inter as a second keeper; his chances of playing in the first team are practically nil! Does anyone hate Gigi that much that they wish that for him??

I also agree that Zidane should not get the FIFA player of the year. For all his talent, his behaviour at the world cup was a bad example to fans & players alike. Sure the Matrix is a pratt, but Zidane, being older, should have been more mature, & should have behaved better.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
AngelaL said:
I also agree that Zidane should not get the FIFA player of the year. For all his talent, his behaviour at the world cup was a bad example to fans & players alike. Sure the Matrix is a pratt, but Zidane, being older, should have been more mature, & should have behaved better.
I think it's horrible how Zidane received the award for Player of the Tournament; that is a joke itself. If Zidane were to take the Golden Ball, then I will know that everybody hates the Azzurri. :D

Cannavaro and Buffon are on level terms when comparing who deserves the Golden Ball more. Both won the Scudetto with Juventus, and then won the World Cup with Italy. Both were more than ready when called upon. Buffon made (in my eyes) the save of the year on Zidane in the final, where he touched it over the crossbar, and he only conceded two goals in the entire tournament. However, this was in large part due to the solid backline, which was led by Cannavaro himself, all 5'11" or whatever of him. Both players played their hearts out, and Italy wouldn't have made it past the first round had one of these players not played.

That being said, in my eyes Cannavaro is a sell-out. He packed his bags, left Turin, and headed for Madrid. He copped-out on Juventus, big time, when the club needed him the most. I guess you can't blame him, he's old and he wants to continue at the top level while he still can. He acknowledges his time at Juventus, and yeah, that's great, I'll give him that. I'm not sure Madrid was his best option (we'd all go where the money is at that tender age), but at least it's not Inter again.

Buffon kept his word, and even after playing a more-than-spectacular World Cup, stood by Juventus. He's a hero in my eyes, through in through. Buffon sincerely wants to help the club get back to where they belong, and when he does leave next season, I will respect his decision, regardless of the chosen destination. Right now, he is putting his career at risk by playing in Serie B. As Badass Devil said, the only reason why Cannavaro is in pole postition is because he is still seen throughout Europe with Real Madrid. I think Buffon is being overlooked, but what I think really doesn't matter.

So congragulations to you, Cannavaro. You've pretty much won the Golden Ball, and you deserve it. I really don't think you want it as much as you want the Champions' League, which you won't be getting any time soon at Madrid, and you really have no true Scudetti to your name. Buffon will have the last laugh, I think. He's legitimately won two Scudetti in 2001-02 and 2002-03, won the World Cup, and he'll definetely win the Champions' League with whatever his next team will be. After all, with a keeper like Buffon, how can you lose?

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
Max said:
So congragulations to you, Cannavaro. You've pretty much won the Golden Ball, and you deserve it. I really don't think you want it as much as you want the Champions' League, which you won't be getting any time soon at Madrid, and you really have no true Scudetti to your name. Buffon will have the last laugh, I think. He's legitimately won two Scudetti in 2001-02 and 2002-03, won the World Cup, and he'll definetely win the Champions' League with whatever his next team will be. After all, with a keeper like Buffon, how can you lose?

you can ask Crapello :D:D

Anyway .. I think Canna deserves it ... but yet gigi deserves it more ...

personally I would be happy for both ... yet happier for Buffon ...

It's a hard desicion really for critics ..

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
yea i hope canna does win if not him at least pirlo zambrotta or gigi we need an italian to win. i still miss having zambro and canna to bad their juve careers are over.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
if zizou recieved player of the tournament, what does that say about fifa's views on role models for the younger audience, it wud be better if they gave it to canna, and the golden ball to gigi, or better more, both to gigi :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Badass Devil said:
if zizou recieved player of the tournament, what does that say about fifa's views on role models for the younger audience, it wud be better if they gave it to canna, and the golden ball to gigi, or better more, both to gigi :D
Not just that. Cannavaro had a great tournament, Zidane had a good game against Brazil. All in all Zizou, who no doubt was the best player over the last decade, didn't have a wonderful tournament. Cannavaro on the other hand was awesome. I don't remember a game in which I would have given him a rating under 8. Perhaps the most striking moment was when he conquered the ball and set up DP's goal against Germany.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Seven said:
Not just that. Cannavaro had a great tournament, Zidane had a good game against Brazil. All in all Zizou, who no doubt was the best player over the last decade, didn't have a wonderful tournament. Cannavaro on the other hand was awesome. I don't remember a game in which I would have given him a rating under 8. Perhaps the most striking moment was when he conquered the ball and set up DP's goal against Germany.
i thought zidanes performance in the wc was no better than kaka's who was v average, as u said he had a good game against brazil, but that was about it, i think player of the tournament and best player of the last decade shudnt coincide, they do have their own award being best sports personality of the past xx or sumthing like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)