Official: Cannavaro(O surdato 'nnammurato) wins Golden Ball (1 Viewer)

rangalo

Nov 8, 2006
Italy and Real Madrid stopper Fabio Cannavaro has won the 2006 Golden Ball, reports in Spain are insisting.

The defender was already heavily associated with the honour earlier this week and more stories this evening are suggesting that the World Cup winner has beaten Gigi Buffon to the award.

It’s alleged that Cannavaro returned to Madrid following last night’s match against Turkey to find a telephone message from the France Football organisers informing him of his victory.

It’s understood that a photographer and a journalist from the magazine are already on their way to the Spanish capital to make a start on their annual feature.

Although there will be no official announcement until November 27, it seems that the Napoli-native will become the first Italian since Roberto Baggio in 1993 to net the honour.

The last 12 months have been unforgettable for the former Parma and Inter man-marker given the success he has achieved.

He won the Scudetto with Juventus before it was revoked, he led his country to World Cup glory and then sealed a career changing move to Real Madrid.

“It’s been a marvellous year, one full of success and triumph,” the 33-year-old has stated. “Winning the Golden Ball would be a dream come true.”

Cannavaro would also become only the third defender to be awarded the title after Franz Beckenbauer and Matthias Sammer.

//if you digg it vote

http://www.eurogoalnews.com/story.php?title=Cannavaro-wins-Golden-Ball

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
He was terrific last season, tough call between him and Buffon. I wanted to Gigi to win it because he stayed with us and showed his great respect to the team. I wanted him to win as a thank you from all fans all around the globe because such players are rare these days.

AzzurriGirl

Jul 23, 2006
If this is true I'm very happy. Canna had an outstanding world cup and showed true leadership to his team, despite all the controversy swirling around the Azzurri. He played every game and was never carded, was steady as a rock and he made some amazing plays. He was also on the scudetto winning Juve team and made a great contribution there.

That being said...my second choice would have been Gigi. He is truly admirable for his loyalty to Juve and he was an integral part of our winning the World Cup. The save he made against Zidane was astounding. Too bad they couldn't have shared the award.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
The official anouncement is on the 27th and 99% it's Cannavaro. He better thank Juve for saving him from Inter's hell and making him into the player he was at the World Cup.
He should be quoted like this "I want to thank Juve for making me the player I am today, I wouldn't have won this without them and the support of it's fans".

next year: Gianluigi Buffon wins the golden ball, he's the 1st Inter player to win it after Ronaldo who won it as an Inter/Real Madrid player.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
mark77 said:
The official anouncement is on the 27th and 99% it's Cannavaro. He better thank Juve for saving him from Inter's hell and making him into the player he was at the World Cup.
He should be quoted like this "I want to thank Juve for making me the player I am today, I wouldn't have won this without them and the support of it's fans".

next year: Gianluigi Buffon wins the golden ball, he's the 1st Inter player to win it after Ronaldo who won it as an Inter/Real Madrid player.
he better thank juve.

and thats a strong prediction for next year.I really hope ur wrong cuz i will be just gutted if Gigi goes to that team

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
ESS-Juventino said:
They dont give the trophy to golkeepers IMO. Cannavaro really deserve this. I wish he was here and wins the golden ball in Juve Shirt. Forza Gigi Buffon.
Even moreso, they don't give the trophy to goalkeepers who were implicated in gambling scandals and ultimately played for an Italian team in Serie B.

To be honest, not that I would be sad if Canna won it, but Gigi didn't stand a chance.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
i agree with mark

Even moreso, they don't give the trophy to goalkeepers who were implicated in gambling scandals and ultimately played for an Italian team in Serie B.

To be honest, not that I would be sad if Canna won it, but Gigi didn't stand a chance.
u remember two years ago? the video with canna with the syringe :D, mybe they still remember that.

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
mark77 said:
I actually hope if Cannavaro wins, he says nothing about Juventus, just so we can see the outrage on these forums. :D

I mean look, people already call him a traitor because he didn't want to play shitty second division football, imagine if he didn't thank Juve. This place would implode.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
mark77 said:

Buffon an Inter player?

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
IMO Buffon deserves the trophy more than Canna...
He was more decive than him in the semi and final of world cup!
I feel bad for gigi coz i think prize should have gone his way, but congrats to canna :smoke:

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
danielão said:
I actually hope if Cannavaro wins, he says nothing about Juventus, just so we can see the outrage on these forums. :D

I mean look, people already call him a traitor because he didn't want to play shitty second division football, imagine if he didn't thank Juve. This place would implode.
He already kind of thanked Juve. There were those rumours about him last week and he said if it wasn't possible to give to both,Gigi and him.
And then he talked about Juve, saying that whoever wins it of the two it wouldn't only been for the WC but also for the great season that Juve has had with a great team.
I don't remember exactly but it was something like this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)