Official: Cannavaro(O surdato 'nnammurato) wins Golden Ball (3 Viewers)

May 25, 2006
ROME (ANSA) - The captain of the World Cup-winning Italy team Fabio Cannavaro has reportedly been voted 2006 European Footballer of the Year.

France Football, the magazine that organizes the Ballon d'Or award, will officially announce the winner on November 27, but reliable sources say Cannavaro has taken the prize, according to the Italian and Spanish media.

If the reports are confirmed, the Real Madrid defender will become the fifth Italian to take the prestigious Golden Ball.

Cannavaro, 33, follows Azzurri greats Roberto Baggio, who won the prize in 1993, Paolo Rossi (1982), Gianni Rivera (1969) and Argentine-Italian Omar Sivori (1961).

"It would be a dream come true," was the player's comment on the leaks.

He would be only the third defender to be crowned European Footballer of the Year, after Germany's Matthias Sammer (1996) and Franz Beckenbauer (1972 and 1976). The triumph is largely down to his performances at Germany 2006, where he barely put a foot wrong as he led the Azzurri to their fourth World Cup.

Cannavaro was reportedly run close by Juventus and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon in the Ballon d'Or poll of top European sports journalists.

"I'm happy for Fabio, but a little sorry for Buffon," said Inter Milan's Marco Materazzi, Cannavaro's companion in the centre of the Italy back-four at the World Cup.

"If it had been the other way around though, I'd be sorry for Fabio. "I feel that part of this award is mine, because I think the whole Azzurri squad helped a great champion like Cannavaro to win the sport's most important (individual) prize". Italian Soccer League President Antonio Matarrese echoed those sentiments.

"The prize was won by the Italian national team and then given to the captain," said Matarrese.

"It is recognition of the work done by (former Azzurri coach Marcello) Lippi, by the team and by the whole of Italian soccer".

Cannavaro also won the Serie A championship with Juventus this year, although the club was stripped of the title and relegated to the second division for its role in the Calciopoli referee-rigging scandal. The Neapolitan has been a regular feature in the Azzurri set-up since he made his debut in 1997. With 105 international appearances, he is the most capped player in the current Italy squad.

His 100th appearance for his country was the July 9 World Cup final against France in Berlin.

He is not the tallest central defender around (1.75m), but makes up for his lack of height with speed, timing and a fine ability to read the game.

He has played for Napoli, Parma, Inter, Juventus and his current club, Real Madrid, which he joined in the summer. As well as the 2005 and 2006 scudettos with Juventus - both of which the Turin club has been stripped of because of Calciopoli - Cannavaro won a UEFA Cup (1999) and two Italian Cups at Parma (1999 and 2002).

Cannavaro is also among the favourites for the 2006 FIFA World Player of the Year prize, which will be awarded at a ceremony on 18 December in Zurich.

ANSA.it

Buy on AliExpress.com

alex74

Oct 1, 2006
Originally Posted by Juventico
Actually I do respect both of them, and about Canna other than being sad that he isn't in Juve anymore I still love that guy. Bad match for him today, tho
hes been having alot of those:wth:

Ellie

Nov 20, 2006
Sicilian Juve said:
I do not understand the mind set of some of you. I love Juve and Italian football. Just because he left, all of the sudden he is persona non grata. I respect him for the time he spent here and for what he did for the azzurri. He is a legend and is deserving of this award(though Gigi deserved it more). Stop thinking only in black and white and respect your adversaries. Because if totti put on the colors of the bianconeri all of the sudden he is a god around here.
totally agree

Always wanna know why Zidan's not so hated as Canna and even adorable though he played for Juve much more time

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Poeple don't like him, cause during the World Cup, he said that he's gonna stay even in Serie B. But after winning the cup, and after Juve were officially demoted... he left.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Thuram - cause he talks shit about Juve all the time.

Zambrotta - cause he makes silly excuses, and even he knows that he'd be better of if he stayed, cause he plays bad now.

Emerson - cause he's ugly :D

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Elvin said:
Thuram - cause he talks shit about Juve all the time.

Zambrotta - cause he makes silly excuses, and even he knows that he'd be better of if he stayed, cause he plays bad now.

Emerson - cause he's ugly :D
:rofl:

Ibra - cause he´s gay:D

Vieira - cause he´s black:D

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Elvin said:
Poeple don't like him, cause during the World Cup, he said that he's gonna stay even in Serie B. But after winning the cup, and after Juve were officially demoted... he left.
How do you know he would stay even if we stayed in Serie A?

Elvin said:
:confused:

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Nice profile picture, Ellie, welcome!

You didn´t introduce yourself to us...:eyebrows:

@ Elvin, that was only a rumour... anyway what use is that he wanted to stay when our Board didn´t count on him...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)