News that makes you say WTF! (14 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
We had a debate about this at uni a few days back as Murdoch has been trying for years to have the impartiality laws changed so he can rebrand Sky News as a Fox esque channel. He keeps being told to fuck off but he is gaining support. Its one of the things that the government authorities do quite well in the UK - balance and impartiality.

Most of the group were arguing for broadcast media to be a free market like in the US, which to me is just dangerous. Impartiality ensures that balance is represented and given the media climate in the UK this is super important. The biggest broadcast organisation is the BBC which no matter what will stay impartial, no 2 is SKY, no 3 is ITV and no 4 is channel 4. The drop off between no 2 and 3 is massive and 3 and 4 is even bigger. when you have a landscape were no 1 is impartial and no 2 is almost as big but can do what i likes its dangerous. If the BBC were privatised (which i want) and went left/liberal then it wouldn't be such a big problem, but that wont happen. I don't know if that makes sense.
I don't think that is any kind of solution. What you end up with is a polarized media like the US one and no matter which side is stronger it's still gonna be a fuckup. So the problem is not that the BBC has to stay impartial, it's that all of them should have to be at all times.

News programs should not compete on who has the more compelling version of reality, but on who can present the most relevant news, factually.

OP
Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #303
    I don't think that is any kind of solution. What you end up with is a polarized media like the US one and no matter which side is stronger it's still gonna be a fuckup. So the problem is not that the BBC has to stay impartial, it's that all of them should have to be at all times.

News programs should not compete on who has the more compelling version of reality, but on who can present the most relevant news, factually.
    I completely agree, Impartiality is so important when dealing with news media. You cannot make an informed and balanced opinion on a situation when someone is telling you how to think. I for the most part read The Guardian because I find it is impartial/balanced. I also read the independent the Times and the Telegraph. The disparity between impartiality when it comes to the Times & The Telegraph is ridiculous, to the point of out right lying (if you heard about it then the empty tents 'scandal' at occupy london stock exchange is a good example of this - the telegraph fabricated a story saying that the occupy group went home at night to imply that they were not commited to the cause, they used thermal cameras that didnt work to show that the tents were empty). I also read the tabloids when i want to laugh/get angry. But I always have the view 'I think you'll find its more complicated than that' when it comes to reading news media, because it always is and I will generally read up and look around for bits of information rather than accept one sides line on the situation, I just find that The Guardian normally does this for me.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Yeah, the Guardian seems quite sane. One thing that I'm not so sure about is how they handled the Wikileaks case, I read some stuff about some pretty ugly dealings.

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #305
    Yeah, the Guardian seems quite sane. One thing that I'm not so sure about is how they handled the Wikileaks case, I read some stuff about some pretty ugly dealings.
    I was either not in the UK or working 60 hour weeks so I kinda missed the whole story aside from the basics of what went on.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I was either not in the UK or working 60 hour weeks so I kinda missed the whole story aside from the basics of what went on.
    Well basically they made a deal with Assange which they later went back on, dealt behind his back. They got the huge document dump which was encrypted and they got the key. Which some Guardian journalist later published in his book (wtf). This book too they didn't tell anyone they were going to publish.

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #307
    Well basically they made a deal with Assange which they later went back on, dealt behind his back. They got the huge document dump which was encrypted and they got the key. Which some Guardian journalist later published in his book (wtf). This book too they didn't tell anyone they were going to publish.
    Of all the people to do that too they pick Assange? :sergio:

They aren't flawless lol. But to my mind they have exploited some of the biggest scandals of our time. Back on the topic of Police Brutality they were the ones that leaked the murders at the hands of police during the G20 protests & Charles De Menes. They also emply Ben Goldacre who devotes his column to pointing out the flaws in science around the world that result in the deaths of millions - one of the best journalists going (aside from the break he is on atm).

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
    Sep 3, 2010
    SAN DIEGO (AP) — San Diego police say a Navy SEAL is on life support after accidentally shooting himself in the head.

Officer Frank Cali tells U-T San Diego (http://bit.ly/wVdcY2 ) that officers were called to a home in Pacific Beach at about 2 a.m. Thursday on a report that a man had been playing with a gun and accidentally shot himself.
    Cali says the man was showing guns to a woman he'd met earlier at a bar and put a pistol he believed was unloaded to his head. Cali says he then pulled the trigger.
    In a statement, Commodore Collin Green says the Naval Special Warfare community is saddened by the incident and extends "our hearts and prayers" to the family in this difficult time.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-navy-seal-accidentally-shoots-self-022731883.html

So much for "the best trained and equipped special forces on the planet".

Golazo

★ ★ ★
    Sep 1, 2011
    Marijuana plant blamed for collapsed building
    LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

It's 2.40am on a Monday morning, and most of the residents in downtown Pasadena are sound asleep. Some are still continuing their weekend. At least, that was the case for three roommates who share an East Colorado Boulevard apartment.

The three men, all in their early 20s, have been living together for the past 7 months. It is alleged that one of the men lit a marijuana plant to "give the studio a good feel". It is understood that approximately 20 minutes following, whilst the three men were all sound asleep and heavily intoxicated, that the burning marijuana plant spread onto a nearby curtain and rapidly engulfed the entire apartment.

One of the men, a well-known and popular horticulturalist in the area, allegedly woke up feeling hungry to find the apartment ablaze.

All three men were able to escape the apartment and notify emergency services of the fire. The building was evacuated promptly, and residents gathered on the street and witnessed the fire from the outside. Shortly after, around 3.10am, the fifth storey partially collapsed under the weight of the fire.

A third storey resident speaking to a radio journalist wittily commented that the apartment building now "...wasn't so high".

The man who allegedly set the marijuana plant alight has been taken into custody, although has refused to collaborate with police until he can get a hold of his Hollywood lawyer, Doobie Jenkins, who is understood to be on holidays in South America.

Police have cordoned off the area until further notice as the building has been labelled a "medium risk of further collapse", and will conduct an investigation into the newly-built apartment building's structural engineering.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
    Sep 3, 2010
    Lawsuit: Illinois Cop Issues Ticket, Asks for Date

A suburban Chicago police officer used a $132 speeding ticket he issued to track down a woman and ask her for a date, saying the least he could do for costing her so much money was to buy her dinner, a lawsuit filed by the woman alleges.

Evangelina Paredes accuses Stickney cop Chris Collins of violating her privacy by searching motor-vehicle records for her address, then leaving a handwritten note on her car windshield outside her apartment two days after she was ticketed.

A copy of the alleged note was attached to the lawsuit, filed last week in U.S. District Court in Chicago. It starts with an attempt at self-deprecating humor, saying, "It's Chris ... that ugly bald Stickney cop who gave you that ticket."

"I know this may seem crazy and you're probably right, but truth is I have not stopped thinking about you since," it continues. "I don't expect a girl as attractive as you to ... even go for a guy like me, but I'm taking a shot anyways."

The note goes on to say he would understand if Paredes did not get in touch.

"But hey," it continues apologetically, "I did cost you $132 — least I can do is buy you dinner."

Collins, 27, told The Associated Press by phone on Tuesday that he hadn't yet hired an attorney and couldn't comment.

According to the lawsuit, Collins pulled Paredes over on Oct. 22 in Stickney, a village just southwest of Chicago. The note allegedly appeared on her car in a parking lot next to her apartment.

"The letter caused plaintiff to suffer great fear and anxiety," the lawsuit says. "Plaintiff could not believe that a police officer would use his access to her personal information to find her home and stalk her."

The suit, which seeks unspecified payments in damages, also accuses Collins of using his "authority and position as a police officer not to protect the public, but to attempt to manipulate the plaintiff into going out on a date with him."

The lawsuit also names Stickney Police Chief Joseph Kretch and the village of Stickney. A message left on Kretch's voicemail Tuesday was not immediately returned. Stickney Mayor Daniel O'Reilly also didn't immediately respond to a message seeking comment

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...issues-ticket-asks-date-15281556#.Twb5CSPxkdp

:lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)