Nelson Mandela (2 Viewers)

Brandmon

Juventuz irregular
Aug 13, 2008
The man is everything we hope for in the world that isn't. Quite a contrast with Thatcher, who died earlier this year, which is arguably everything we dread for in the world that actually already is.

I'm just glad that he outlived her.

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #27
    :tup: spot on, too much hijacked sympathy, once again myth's irresistible lure
    I wouldn't really say hijacked sympathy. It's not like people appreciate the dead more, but he's simply not a subject as he was before. Death (sadly) reunites the ideas and people most of the time, refreshes memory and reminds people what was really lost.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Definitely a great man. Sometimes you can't with everything with love and politics, so he doesn't have a flawless past, but his ideals and greater goals were revolutionary for humanity, equality and the people of South Africa.

Doubt we will see another like him any time soon.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    The man is everything we hope for in the world that isn't. Quite a contrast with Thatcher, who died earlier this year, which is arguably everything we dread for in the world that actually already is.

I'm just glad that he outlived her.
    Ironically, Thatcher's political career made life better for a bigger number of people.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Ironically, Thatcher's political career made life better for a bigger number of people.
    Just no. She's the reason for a lot of social problems the UK has to face right now, and along with Reagan introduced the whole neoliberalism bullshit into politics which is fucking people up in the ass right now.

- - - Updated - - -

the most loved/respected person in the world?
    The Dalai Lama?

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Normally I hate all the RIP posts/threads/whatever that start popping up whenever a famous actor or singer dies, but in this case I am actually inclined to join in.
    Not only has Nelson Mandela really made a difference in the world and has become a symbol for peace, his death might also actually have tragic consequences on South Africa. The social peace there is still really fragile, and Mandela was one of the most important reasos that the downfall of Apartheid in 1991 didn't result in a straight-out civil war.
    He was a unifying figure in South Africa, respected unanimously, but without him the whole conflict might actually escalate.

OP
    Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #34
    Just no. She's the reason for a lot of social problems the UK has to face right now, and along with Reagan introduced the whole neoliberalism bullshit into politics which is fucking people up in the ass right now.
    Both Thatcher and Reagan were financial terrorists.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I would argue that he became his greatest in the 90s. Any South African might tell you that as he is their founding father of the new Apartheid-free nation. But I remember when Mandela first was released from prison. He did a tour around the world, and there were fawning fanboys all over the world. Bill Graham Presents, which was a massive concert promoter in the Bay Area, even hosted an event of him speaking at the Oakland Coliseum.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/01/us/mandela-ends-tour-of-us-with-oakland-appearance.html

Now what people projected on to him at the time was his role as a resistance fighter to everything wrong with Apartheid. It was a lot for one person to bear, but he was a symbol.

And yet despite the immense crowds and adoration he got back then here in 1990, I think all that paled in comparison to the role he played right afterwards in founding a new South Africa, establishing one of the most liberal constitutions in the world, and almost single-handedly preventing what was expected to be the bloodiest race riot and chaos in the world under the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

It is simply astounding what people in South Africa expected at the time, and what he did by example to change the course of history.

He had saved his best act perhaps for last.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)