Nationality Mixup (1 Viewer)

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003

Since many of the members over here don't live in their origin country, what do people often mistaken your nationality for when they first meet you?

I've been mistaken as Turkish, Arab, Spanish, Scottish, Paki, Italian, Egyptian, and Portuguese.

I'm Persian, but no one has ever got it right.

So what have you been mistaken for?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Ramin

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    lol how can one be mistaken as both Scottish and Egyptian/Paki? :D
    Well, the Scottish linking is I guess due to me living in Scotland (though I don't look like one). The other two, no comments. :D

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
    In London, I was wearing Juve's shirt and a guy, who was sitting beside me in the underground, asked me whether I'm Italian or not? :cool:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Whenever I walk around this country blurting out Russian words to Burke or other people, the others think I'm from another country but considering their lack of geographical knowledge they cannot begin to make a mixup.

Although one time Burke and I were walking in my college town and I was wearing my "Nederland" jacket. Some incredibly fat hick was standing outside of a bar and he asked me, "Nederland, what's dat?" I replied to him by saying it's what you call a nonexistent country. Burke chimed in and said Nederland is the Netherlands in english, or Holland, the country obviously found in Europe. The fatass then said, "Oh yeah the Netherlands. I've been there before."

Of course I was intrigued by this, so I asked him ohh really, what city did you happen to visit? The dumb fuck redneck responded...

"Paris" :rolleyes:

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    well am Bahraini but for the past two years i've been living in melbourne. Understandably nobody got it right.

i got indian,french,persian,greek,paki

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    In Sweden I was mistaken for Chilean, Palestinian, Persian, Kurdish, and Italian. In the US I've been mistaken for Arab, Indian, "Muslim" (what ever that is :rolleyes:), Portuguese, Italian, and Brazilian.

Whenever I walk around this country blurting out Russian words to Burke or other people, the others think I'm from another country but considering their lack of geographical knowledge they cannot begin to make a mixup.

Although one time Burke and I were walking in my college town and I was wearing my "Nederland" jacket. Some incredibly fat hick was standing outside of a bar and he asked me, "Nederland, what's dat?" I replied to him by saying it's what you call a nonexistent country. Burke chimed in and said Nederland is the Netherlands in english, or Holland, the country obviously found in Europe. The fatass then said, "Oh yeah the Netherlands. I've been there before."

Of course I was intrigued by this, so I asked him ohh really, what city did you happen to visit? The dumb fuck redneck responded...

:howler:

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006

:lol:

Apr 12, 2004

Yea, that was a great night.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Everyone here thinks I'm Dutch. Random people on the street ask me for directions like every week, most of the time of course I have no clue about the place they want to go.

Incredible suspense there :p

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004

:howler:

Back home in Naija, we have 250 different ethnic nationalities, many with certain perceived characteristics. Back home even in my ancestral region, a lot of people on looking at me would say that I am either Yoruba, or Tivi, or Edo, or Ishan. Quite a few others on hearing my name assume that I am Hausa, or Kanuri.

It was only on one occasion that a random stranger correctly guessed that I'm Igbo.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001

Lol we wish :D

Everyone here thinks I'm Dutch. Random people on the street ask me for directions like every week, most of the time of course I have no clue about the place they want to go.
    I think that has more to do with there being a lack of stereotype. Anyone on the streets anywhere in Holland could be Dutch, the diversity is pretty big compared to surrounding countries.

Myself, I've been mistaken for Russian (when I lived in Italy people would yell at me to "fucking go home", very charming), "British" (by Dutch people hearing me speak English) and Norwegian (when I lived in England people never guessed just Dutch)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    I think that has more to do with there being a lack of stereotype. Anyone on the streets anywhere in Holland could be Dutch, the diversity is pretty big compared to surrounding countries.
    I'm not so sure about that, when outside of the Netherlands I can spot a Dutchman from a mile away.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I'm not so sure about that, when outside of the Netherlands I can spot a Dutchman from a mile away.
    Oh definitely, there is a very clear stereotype outside the country. :D

But it doesn't seem to work the other way around. There is no reason what so ever to assume that anybody random walking the streets in Holland is not Dutch. Because everybody could be. And usually, they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)