'Murica! (84 Viewers)

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
That's my point though, you got dumbasses making 250k a year
A good friend of mine, who is an oncologist by profession, bought 3 tickets to the WC final in Brazil 2014. He bought them on the black market from some dude in Nigeria. Each ticket cost $3000 (for a total of $9000). This was several months before the final. Never got the tickets (duh!).
Repeated emails and phone calls to this guy in Nigeria went either unanswered or were returned with some retarded excuse. Finally, they told him to proceed to the stadium where someone will hand him the tickets.
So my genius friend traveled to Brazil with his 2 sons and surprise, surprise, no one was there to give him his tickets. He ended up watching the game on the big TV screens on the beach. His wife was not too pleased with him either.
Obviously, we still give him a hard time over this.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
A good friend of mine, who is an oncologist by profession, bought 3 tickets to the WC final in Brazil 2014. He bought them on the black market from some dude in Nigeria. Each ticket cost $3000 (for a total of $9000). This was several months before the final. Never got the tickets (duh!).
Repeated emails and phone calls to this guy in Nigeria went either unanswered or were returned with some retarded excuse. Finally, they told him to proceed to the stadium where someone will hand him the tickets.
So my genius friend traveled to Brazil with his 2 sons and surprise, surprise, no one was there to give him his tickets. He ended up watching the game on the big TV screens on the beach. His wife was not too pleased with him either.
Obviously, we still give him a hard time over this.
My sister in law is a pediatrician. She’s moved a lot in her life and never moved a piece of furniture. She donates all furniture every time she moves and buys new ones in her new place.

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
Who gives a shit about consumer electronics production? We’re also lagging in sweatshop industry.
It is important because when China attacks Taiwan or other country the shortages of consumer and industrial goods will be catastrophic. The democracies of the world should become self - sufficient in the production of critical goods and share expertise and resources among themselves.

Изпратено от моят XQ-AU52 с помощта на Tapatalk

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
It is important because when China attacks Taiwan or other country the shortages of consumer and industrial goods will be catastrophic. The democracies of the world should become self - sufficient in the production of critical goods and share expertise and resources among themselves.

Изпратено от моят XQ-AU52 с помощта на Tapatalk
Yes you need to have a minimum, and you distribute among other countries. most of military electronics are manufactured in the US. While china has the lion share of electronics manufacturing, Mexico, Ireland and even Slovakia provide some redundancy. The point is US being behind China in electronics manufacturing is a choice.

alaska

May 25, 2013
Some people are just not good with money. I work with guys who make $60/hr with union benefits who have their trucks repoed every other month.
Bloomberg article today said 1/3 of Americans making $250K live paycheck to paycheck. That's not a financial issue, that's psychological.

Does that same psychological issue afflict poor people too? Probably at a higher percentage than 33%.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the rig pigs out in Alberta oil fields. Clear well over six figures for even unskilled jobs, and manage to somehow still live paycheck to paycheck.
Also true of soldiers living on US military bases. Always buy a truck or muscle car way more expensive than they can afford, and marry the first stripper/trashy woman they meet at age 22.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The paperwork is based the universal concept of freedom which does come with its own level of chaos, but personally i rather deal with the chaos of my choices than those of someone else.
The paperwork does try to codify it. But let's also be clear of context. The nation's origins heavily leaned towards religious freaks and outcasts of Europe who wanted to keep their gubments noses out of the meth labs of their day. The colonial mindset is also pretty consistent from what I know of Portuguese who went overseas to Angola, the Dutch and English to South Africa, etc. So when you talk about framers of the constitution, you also have to consider their frame of mind.

They got a lot of things right. But their frame is also naturally biased based on their origins.

All said, it is completely understandable to not trust others for your own destiny -- only your own choices. But that attitude does lead to a trustless society, which has its own upsides and downsides.

Who gives a shit about consumer electronics production? We’re also lagging in sweatshop industry.
:D So true. Sweatshop labor makes the world go around.

Health care is a complete joke here in the US. We have the best nurses, physicians, researchers, and hospitals but what's the use if they are not accessible to the masses.
Well, it's not health care, it's sick care ... for one. For another, not breaking away from the legacy of health care insurance and jobs means a lot of people are going to rot in pretty lousy jobs for the benefits rather than taking risks to do something better or more productive to society.

And these days health care is getting really dangerous between abuse, shootings, and angry people taking it out on health care workers. There is no way I would want to go into medicine in America now, which is bizarre considering all the historical benefits that once supposedly provided physicians.

Some people are just not good with money. I work with guys who make $60/hr with union benefits who have their trucks repoed every other month.
That is true. But a lot of people have really high living expenses. (I took a 50% pay cut to move to Portugal and earn a salary out of the financial system here, rather than the remote work arbitrage, but the cost of living is more than 50% lower and I'm doing fine.)

And then there is the hedonic treadmill. It makes the money machine swirl around, with the benefit of indentured servitude to keep up.

Friend of mine lost six figures on the Luna crash :disagree:

I didn't think it was appropriate to say "told you so" but...
Basically: you wanted unregulated financial systems, well, you got one.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Oh man, I am in tears. If we ever needed evidence that the Internet has destroyed democracy, this has to be up there.

While I've been living in Portugal for the past 4 years, I still have a tiny home in California and vote in their elections. The governor and senator primary election information has come my way. Now realize that people have to lobby for enough signatures to be put on the ballot as a candidate. And these are some of the total nut jobs that have invaded the "Official Voter Information Guide" as published by the state with taxpayer money...

https://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/

You always had the nut job trans person named "Starchild" who would run for city assembly in San Francisco. But I don't ever remember seeing quite the clown show like this for state-level candidates. It's almost like it was made up by The Onion.

Some samples... it's no wonder why Americans are shooting the crap out of each other when everyone has literally lost their

2022-06-05_11-16-04.png
2022-06-05_11-21-26.png
2022-06-05_11-16-43.png
2022-06-05_11-18-03.png
2022-06-05_11-20-18.png

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
@ALC
That shooting sounds insane. Gang related?
probably just some assholes with guns got in a fight and started spraying.

yeah, it gets very packed in south street during the summer. It’s always been like that as far as I remember but shootings weren’t this bad, they have cops there all night since it’s a nice neighborhood but I guess people don’t give af

- - - Updated - - -

Murder rates in philly have been jumping since the pandemic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 64)