Movies you've seen recently... (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Robert Forster is great in that joint son. That's why he got that Oscar nom. Jackie Brown is an acquired taste.
well taht may be the case but i just felt it was not up to the standard of his earlier work, folk were going on a bout how wonderful it was but i was left with a rather dissapointed feeling.

it is by no means terrible, just not fantastic

oh and i love de niro in just about everything

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
well taht may be the case but i just felt it was not up to the standard of his earlier work, folk were going on a bout how wonderful it was but i was left with a rather dissapointed feeling.

it is by no means terrible, just not fantastic

oh and i love de niro in just about everything
It's definitely a lot slower than his first two, but I like it. Though I really believe that any movie would have suffered the same thoughts following Pulp Fiction.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Dude, you do know that's how it was shown in Theaters right? A "Grindhouse" special feature, like they used to do in the drive-ins back in the seventies.:D
My bad, I should have said it differently.

I know that for you guys (Americans) the Grindhouse movie was shown in theatres as it was intended. Not for us Europeans.
We got an extended Death Proof in theatres, followed by an extended Planet Terror a few months later. Both were also individually released on DVD.
We also didn't get to see the trailers that were supposed to be in between both parts, except for the "Machete" trailer (shown around these parts before Planet Terror iirc).

Am I right though in assuming it would have worked better as one movie? Although Planet Terror in itself was extremely enjoyable.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
My bad, I should have said it differently.

I know that for you guys (Americans) the Grindhouse movie was shown in theatres as it was intended. Not for us Europeans.
We got an extended Death Proof in theatres, followed by an extended Planet Terror a few months later. Both were also individually released on DVD.
We also didn't get to see the trailers that were supposed to be in between both parts, except for the "Machete" trailer (shown around these parts before Planet Terror iirc).

Am I right though in assuming it would have worked better as one movie? Although Planet Terror in itself was extremely enjoyable.
It was a really fun experience with the "trailers" and the movies not really being that long (3 hours and 11 minutes together). The Homage to exploitation films was an awesome experience. Besides being a box office flop (I don't think QT and RR give a shit about the money), the experience did review pretty well. And there is noise about some of the "trailers" being made into features for a sequel.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
It was a really fun experience with the "trailers" and the movies not really being that long (3 hours and 11 minutes together). The Homage to exploitation films was an awesome experience. Besides being a box office flop (I don't think QT and RR give a shit about the money), the experience did review pretty well. And there is noise about some of the "trailers" being made into features for a sequel.

I pretty much thought it would have been an awesome experience, but it wasn't meant to be for me.

Concerning the trailers: Isn't "Machete" already in production? Last thing I heard was that Danny Trejo was attached to it so it seemed to have been given the green light.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

I pretty much thought it would have been an awesome experience, but it wasn't meant to be for me.

Concerning the trailers: Isn't "Machete" already in production? Last thing I heard was that Danny Trejo was attached to it so it seemed to have been given the green light.
Yeah, but Rodriguez got side tracked with another children's movie and he is directing Predators. So it's on the back burner.

Eli Roth wants to make his Thanksgiving slasher flick into a feature and Dimension likes the guy who did the trailer called Quiet. Those are the two that are getting looked at for the sequel.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Eℓvin;2085473 said:
Yeah, especially chicks should see it, no, they've got to see it.
I might be slightly influenced by the fact that I was blazed while watching it, but I really thought it was the funniest movie I've seen this year.
That's probably why. It wasn't that funny.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm going to watch Public Enemies with some mates later tonight. Problem is: one of them is one of those guys that talk a lot during movies.

I don't like that.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Dude, you do know that's how it was shown in Theaters right? A "Grindhouse" special feature, like they used to do in the drive-ins back in the seventies.:D
Only in America. It did so badly that they split the two movies for international distribution. Planet Terror is a great little movie, which does exactly what they claimed they'd do. Death Proof is too long for what it is, too dull and too full of QT's shit - even the trademark dialogue just sounds like a cheap gimmick now. It still had its moments, but on the whole, it was self-indulgent.

Kill Bill is an over the top Kung Fu movie, but I love that about it.
Kill Bill is QT's last attempt to make a 90 minute action movie. Combine it with Death Proof and his upcoming Inglourious Baestards or however he's spelling it - a remake of a 90 minute action movie which is.... drum roll please... 148 minutes long, and it's clear that he's lost his way in an orgy of self-adulation. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Kill Bill, but someone seriously needs to sit QT down and tell him that he loses a finger, toe and finally a 21st appendage for every minute his next movie goes over 100 minutes.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Only in America. It did so badly that they split the two movies for international distribution. Planet Terror is a great little movie, which does exactly what they claimed they'd do. Death Proof is too long for what it is, too dull and too full of QT's shit - even the trademark dialogue just sounds like a cheap gimmick now. It still had its moments, but on the whole, it was self-indulgent.
It depends on how you look at it. QT intentionally screwed up Death Proof. He said in an interview before the filming, when he and RR were discussing how they came up with the idea. QT said "I wanted to do a slasher movie, but I really like cars and 'good ole' boy movies, so I wrote this totally great script about a stunt man who kills women and now I'm going to fuck it up and see what people think". That's paraphrasing, but I think we get the idea. He knows what he's doing and he gets a kick out of it.

I think people really need to quit treating him like he's Sam Mendez and take him for what he is, an imaginative video clerk who got one right.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Apparantly its not as impressive as the hype says it is
Id heard that, it really depends on what scale you rate th film, its one of the BEST films of this year, bearing in mind how much tripe has come out. If you are watching it as a natural progression of Michael Mann as a dirrector, then it wont live up to your expectations, but if you want to go and see something that is finallly different to the consistent tripe that hollywood is pumping out atm then it is worth going to see. Also most people complain about the use of digital photography as opposed to celluloid because it kind of detracts from the setting of the film. I think its a shame that Bale didnt get much screen time, you cant keep an actor like that limited as with Marion Cotillard. Still one of the best releases of the past few years.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Stop stealing stuff from critics and quoting it and not giving it credit. If you want to make a point, make it with your own words and quit trying to confuse people in a an attempt to show you know more about film then they do. It's annoying.

Secondly, you shouldn't expect the same thing from every film. You'll just get disappointed.

As for QT, he didn't sell out. He just moved on to other things. He made movies he wanted to make, that were based on movie genres he enjoyed. He likes Kung Fu movies so he made two of them and he made them in the style of he likes. He liked 1970s B movies and he likes car chase movies, so he made a B movie about car chases. All of which he did with his own twisted style. I can respect that.

You review films for what they are not what you think they could be.

Wow there are numerous levels of slander and miss-interpration in there. Can i firstly suggest you never take a degree, how can you expect to have an discussion without backing it up, just because im well read and back up what i say doesnt mean that im stealing ideas, if i said it without referencing what i am talking about means i am Plagiarizing. If you want to insinuate i have been, then i have posted links, or mentioned the names of people in posts before and continued with that discussion in mind. I base my views on my film on what i have seen and also what academics and critics write so that i can form a balanced view of the film taking into account most ideals. Im not going to be apathetic about films and just accept someone saying its good or bad, i dont go out looking for arguements, but i like to challenge people and discuss stuff.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Wow there are numerous levels of slander and miss-interpration in there. Can i firstly suggest you never take a degree, how can you expect to have an discussion without backing it up, just because im well read and back up what i say doesnt mean that im stealing ideas, if i said it without referencing what i am talking about means i am Plagiarizing. If you want to insinuate i have been, then i have posted links, or mentioned the names of people in posts before and continued with that discussion in mind. I base my views on my film on what i have seen and also what academics and critics write so that i can form a balanced view of the film taking into account most ideals. Im not going to be apathetic about films and just accept someone saying its good or bad, i dont go out looking for arguements, but i like to challenge people and discuss stuff.
I never said you were plagiarizing, it just annoys me when people place quotes and then don't leave the name of he who said it. Usually the format goes like this "(QUOTE)"(NAME).

I don't know the reason for half of the stuff you wrote in your reply, just leave the names of the people you quote from now on. I didn't slander nor misinterpret you. Perhaps you didn't say what you mean, but that's hardly my fault.

I didn't tell you to be apathetic or follow the leader. I even said why I disagreed with your position and it looks like you agree with my point that "you have to look a films for what they are individually rather than as a collective" when you talked about following the course of Michael Mann's films to gain an expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)