Movies you've seen recently... (76 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
"many critics have noted the weak character development, especially in its female characters[19]. Ebert despite his praise mentions "I won't go so far as to describe it as a character study" but that the film is more than the sum of its parts that may at first seem a little generic or cliched,[20] many other films such as Very Bad Things having explored the idea of a weekend in Vegas gone wrong. Critics have complained about racial stereotyping, in particular the Asian gangsters"

"An intriguing, time-hopping set-up is wasted on obnoxious characters, celebrity cameos and crass attempts at humour. "

"This is a bromance so primitive it's practically Bro-Magnon. "

"The lads duly lurch from one bewildering crisis to another. Their mission to fill in the missing blanks, and to recover the stolen groom (Justin Bartha), turns a male soul-searching tour of Las Vegas into a tedious grind. The saving grace for film fans of an Animal House persuasion is a bearded, indestructible slob called Alan (Zach Galifianakis: stick with Alan, it's a lot simpler), a John Belushi clone who asks piercing questions along the lines of “Is this the real Caesar’s Palace? Does Caesar live here?” How we howled. Well, two people did."

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Death Proof was ok, though not one of his better films imo.

I liked the kill bill's, though as all his films slightly exagerrated, but enjoyable

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Didnt think you would get that. Amongst the higher echelons of film academia and critics there is a concencous that Tarrantino hasnt made a good film since Jackie Brown because he sold out after Jackie Brown in a bid to remake Pulp Fiction because "its there and its cool because its there and it cool, and why is it there? because its there and it cool and its cool because its there."

Your responce to whether you liked the last 3 films is why im not going to bother discussing the hangover because neither of us will win.

Edit:

Perhaps i should say we expect different things from films.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Didnt think you would get that. Amongst the higher echelons of film academia and critics there is a concencous that Tarrantino hasnt made a good film since Jackie Brown because he sold out after Jackie Brown in a bid to remake Pulp Fiction because "its there and its cool because its there and it cool, and why is it there? because its there and it cool and its cool because its there."

Your responce to whether you liked the last 3 films is why im not going to bother discussing the hangover because neither of us will win.
Never seen Jackie Brown, now i'll download it when I get home.

My favourite films of QT have to be Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, the rest are all just mindless violence, but when I'm in a certain mood i like watching them.

At the end of the day everyone has a different taste and is entitled to their own opinion.

I like The hangover cause of the randomness, and you seem not to like it for the same reason; nothing wrong with that

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005

My favourite films of QT have to be Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, the rest are all just mindless violence, but when I'm in a certain mood i like watching them.

At the end of the day everyone has a different taste and is entitled to their own opinion.

I like The hangover cause of the randomness, and you seem not to like it for the same reason; nothing wrong with that
Jackie brown is pretty poor, i watched it once and was actually quite bored, i suppose after RD and PF i expected more

You'll love it I guarantee :smile:

Boz; It's probably because its heartwarming dialogs and quotes.
probably is, never thought i would like a film with Mr Drywall from dharma and greg

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009

thats a review of death proof and i think he discusses jackie brown+what quentin is doing wrong.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Edit:

Perhaps i should say we expect different things from films.
Stop stealing stuff from critics and quoting it and not giving it credit. If you want to make a point, make it with your own words and quit trying to confuse people in a an attempt to show you know more about film then they do. It's annoying.

Secondly, you shouldn't expect the same thing from every film. You'll just get disappointed.

As for QT, he didn't sell out. He just moved on to other things. He made movies he wanted to make, that were based on movie genres he enjoyed. He likes Kung Fu movies so he made two of them and he made them in the style of he likes. He liked 1970s B movies and he likes car chase movies, so he made a B movie about car chases. All of which he did with his own twisted style. I can respect that.

You review films for what they are not what you think they could be.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Robert Forster is great in that joint son. That's why he got that Oscar nom. Jackie Brown is an acquired taste.
Jackie Brown is an absolutely phenomenal film. I don't quite understand why people don't rate that one as high as his first 2 films. Probably because it is somewhat different.
One of the (last?) great De Niro performances.

Kill Bill: Not as good as his previous 3, but still very good. Would have been better if that was only 1 (shorter) movie though.
Death Proof was slightly boring. Probably would have worked better in a shorter version, together with Planet Terror.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Drag me to hell is fucken terrible, worst acting and the most pointlessness i have seen in long while, the only "scary bits" only make you jump because of how stupidly loud the jumping out bits are. acting is terrible soooo bad.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Jackie Brown is an absolutely phenomenal film. I don't quite understand why people don't rate that one as high as his first 2 films. Probably because it is somewhat different.
One of the (last?) great De Niro performances.

Kill Bill: Not as good as his previous 3, but still very good. Would have been better if that was only 1 (shorter) movie though.
Death Proof was slightly boring. Probably would have worked better in a shorter version, together with Planet Terror.
Dude, you do know that's how it was shown in Theaters right? A "Grindhouse" special feature, like they used to do in the drive-ins back in the seventies.:D

Kill Bill is an over the top Kung Fu movie, but I love that about it.

I know a lot of people who don't like Jackie Brown because they want it to be another Pulp Fiction. Which is never going to happen because QT already made Pulp Fiction.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Drag me to hell is fucken terrible, worst acting and the most pointlessness i have seen in long while, the only "scary bits" only make you jump because of how stupidly loud the jumping out bits are. acting is terrible soooo bad.
Lump The Uninvited into that category as well. Horror sucks these days.

Dario Argento does have a promising film coming out starring Adrien Brody. Keep a look out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 76)