Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (95 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Agreed with most except some things about Parasite. I'm going to find and watch Burning tho because that's high praise. What you said about Burning is the case for me in a japanese movie from 2018 called shoplifters. It was brilliant and deserved all the award accolades, but got non, not even a nomination in Oscar's etc.
Now you're just lying. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
It got nomination? I'm taking it on my brothers word, he said it didnt. FYI havent watched Oscar's in 3+ years. Because by the time award season comes I havent seen most movies yet. This year it was Joker, Parasite, Irishman, Ford v Ferrari and fell asleep half way into marriage story lol. But behind on rest.

Btw Völler, do you have a new job as movie critic? :D You only post in this thread it seems. Or you got burned out on all things football.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
It got nomination? I'm taking it on my brothers word, he said it didnt. FYI havent watched Oscar's in 3+ years. Because by the time award season comes I havent seen most movies yet. This year it was Joker, Parasite, Irishman, Ford v Ferrari and fell asleep half way into marriage story lol. But behind on rest.
Yes, Shoplifters was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Foreign Language category (and Golden Globes and BAFTAs). And it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes. For art film directors that is the prize you really want to win. :D

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yes, Shoplifters was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Foreign Language category (and Golden Globes and BAFTAs). And it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes. For art film directors that is the prize you really want to win. :D
Thats exactly what my movies pretentious brother says lol, I only saw it but not read award stuff. Instead of be happy for Parasite, he said there been several Asian movies as good or better that clean it up in Cannes and other respectable art house festivals around the world. But barely get acknowledged in Oscars etc.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Don't get me wrong, Parasite was good but did it really deserve 4 Oscars? I can understand best picture and that's really deserved and also best foreign movie. But best movie I think there might be better ones?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Best picture and best movie is the same thing Cerval. And truly, of those I seen, the other nominations weren't even close to it's high level? Joker was fantastic but 90% of it Joaquins acting and he got justly rewarded for it. Jojo Rabbit is fun but its lucky to even be there. Irishman was good and nostalgic project but a flawed one in its pace. Ford v Ferrari was excellent and exciting but defenitely peaks at just nomination.

Thats those I have seen, do you think once upon a time in Hollywood , marriage story, little women or 1917 deserved to win? I'm going to see little women and 1917 in cinema soon. I hope they are worthy winning type of projects. But doubt it will peak at that level, except maybe on technical or visual filmmaking or raw brutal drama in 1917s case.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Watched half of Knives out, I'm going to finish it either this evening or tomorrow. Up to now it's pretty good, since it's based on Hercule Poirot you can see the Agatha Christie influence (which is one of my favorite authors in the crime genre). Pretty modern and upbeat. Didn't think it would have been this way. But pretty good. Daniel Craig has been really awesome thus far I disagree with Dosto that he was bad

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Agreed with most except some things about Parasite. I'm going to find and watch Burning tho because that's high praise. What you said about Burning is the case for me in a japanese movie from 2018 called shoplifters. It was brilliant and deserved all the award accolades, but got non, not even a nomination in Oscar's etc.
Now don't let me oversell Burning. It is a movie that's less about storytelling an evolving plot and more about making you think and feel. It is a movie about movie direction and leaving subtlety to tell its story, symbolically. It doesn't hit you over the head.

In that sense, it's a bit more like a European film disguised in Korean clothing. But while I enjoyed it at first watch, it ate at me more that I thought about it in the days that followed.

Shoplifters is another movie I quite liked. In fact, other than it lacked the plot twists of Parasite, it too should have been Oscar-worthy that year. Both Shoplifting and Parasite won the Palm d'Or.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I know some of you hate superhero movies, but I'm super excited that one of my favourite actors in Christian Bale is confirmed now to be in MCEU marvel movies for few movies, specifically he is going to be an unnamed character in upcoming Thor movie :tup: Should be dope, Taika Waihiti is a dope director, and and getting Christian Bale is HUGE.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
All three films were fantastic.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
:lol2: I literally saw that on imdb 2 hours ago and started laughing. It just popped up! I will watch it :D
It's decent, but imo not as great as the reviews will tell you. Oh, and congratulations on the job! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Btw Völler, do you have a new job as movie critic? :D You only post in this thread it seems. Or you got burned out on all things football.
Nah, I'm still watching (almost) all our games. It's just that the football talk in here is quite tedious. :D

Jun 7, 2003
Ok then. Gonna watch it this week :tup:

Btw. Those who haven't seen it yet, Murdered by Death is still fun to watch if you like those kind of movies. Sure has aged, but it's full of cool actors. Peter Falk, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Alec Guinness, Truman Capote etc.
okay, haha i know the movie. Didn't know it by the name, but when you wrote Peter Falk it clicked. I tought also about that movie when i watched Knives out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 84)