Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (368 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
You definitely should watch "Life of Brian". One of the better fiction books adaptations out there.
I already have, I used to manage a radio show and the opening song every time was "Always look on the bright side of life"

- - - Updated - - -

Small things and one-liners filled with special effects will always get their first row. It's what super hero movies offer and it's what audience wants and what they are capable of digesting. The less they think the better. What dialogs can get out of it? Not any. There's just an empty comedy and a pop-corn sitting.

Big books can hardly be directed because it's simply too hard imo. I don't think any Dostoevsky, Turgenev, Tolstoy book can be shown on a big screen. Not just Russian literature, but pretty much every classic that's out there from Goethe to Camus. It's simply too complex and filled with scenes where cinematography fails to deliver. You can read a 5 page sunset while it will be only 5 seconds in the movie. Same goes for ideas and feelings. I think only Welles did a good job adopting Le procès (1962) but it's still way to shit to be compared with the book IMO. Don't forget these generations who'd find all that stuff boring most likely. Who the hell likes philosophy, art and poems where you have magic, dragons, super heros and villians who throw lasers from their eyes.
I am not sure I agree, imo Russian TV series about "The Master and Margarita" is a clear proof that you can successfully adapt Russian classics to screen, in many cases it will take a trilogy or a TV series though. :D Of course it is a tough job to transfer a large book into a script, but the stories behind those books are worth it and the big name itself should attract larger audiences than Avengers 11 or Ice Age 23, similar to "Great Gatsby" which was not the best movie ever but definitely more interesting than most.

Regarding your sunset argument, I think "The Revenant" by Innaritu was a good example how nature can successfully play a very big part in the movie.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I am not sure I agree, imo Russian TV series about "The Master and Margarita" is a clear proof that you can successfully adapt Russian classics to screen, in many cases it will take a trilogy or a TV series though. :D Of course it is a tough job to transfer a large book into a script, but the stories behind those books are worth it and the big name itself should attract larger audiences than Avengers 11 or Ice Age 23, similar to "Great Gatsby" which was not the best movie ever but definitely more interesting than most.

Regarding your sunset argument, I think "The Revenant" by Innaritu was a good example how nature can successfully play a very big part in the movie.
Never read the book nor watched the tv show, can't argue :D

The Revenant is good but lacks a lot to be a masterpiece. Only Tarkovsky is capable of creating such and The Revenant is nothing like his works imo.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Never read the book nor watched the tv show, can't argue :D

The Revenant is good but lacks a lot to be a masterpiece. Only Tarkovsky is capable of creating such and The Revenant is nothing like his works imo.
read it, it's a great story. I read that you are planning to write a book yourself - in that case it should speak even more to you

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
wow that surprises me

go and read pls
I wanted to and I still want to. But there's always one that I take after finishing some. Just like now, I started reading Crime and Punishment. That's the only one I haven't read from Fyodor.

read it, it's a great story. I read that you are planning to write a book yourself - in that case it should speak even more to you
I wrote close to 200 pages already. :D

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I wonder why so few epic book stories get properly adapted to screen. Les Miserables got a musical adaption which is an adaption itself, Anna Karenina got this, some of my favorite books like A Farewell to Arms or The 3 Comrades didn't get even a shitty movie. Last one I can recall is the Great Gatsby and it was a big success, I wonder why they try so seldom, there are tens of big comic book movies, yet they still keep making them
It's extremely difficult to transfer the things that make a novel great to the big screen.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I loved Jodorowsky's Dune. Jodo is a madman artist and an awesome interview subject. And the doc did a nice job of drawing the parallels between the story of that massive movie that was never made and the story of Dune itself.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I didn't watch Nuri Bilge but heard that it is like test of patience. I don't like new stuff in general, it was the old movies, yeşilçam that i appreciated.

and i read comments about the other movie you asked, mustang.(dont worry its not the comments from religious erdogan supporters, quite opposite)
they say it is usual orientalist propaganda bullshit that west adore. it is a forced, fake, shallow and exaggerated parody. throwing shit at erdogan, turks and muslims in general is trending topic in europe. so it is understandable what that director tried to do in order to grab the bone that his owner holding in his hand.
:D

I could imagine the same reaction from people of Iran (even from non-religious ones) if Mustang was about Iran, because for some reason in that part of the world, any criticism of something related to our country is a direct attack on our identity and pride. Although I agree that the director was certainly trying to appeal to a western audience, I still think the movie was great, AND because I am from that part of the world myself, I know firsthand there is truth in what is shown in that movie.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
modern, rational human being
And this modern and rational mindset manifests in being a fan of a football club?

Not to mention calling out whole islamic mindset cancerous, very modern.

I get infracted and banned for who knows what but these modern day stupid people can't even get a warning.

OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #25,138
    No, it manifests in that I will respect your views expressed, and will go on living my life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 351)