Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (27 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Ghost In The Shell

Utter shit. Pretty window dressing with a butchered narrative and a bunch of lazy, droning, skin deep, "profound" dialogue that merely scratches at the surface of the original, and somehow misplaces all the darkly enigmatic and poetic of the original.

Scarlett Johansson was garbage. Played her role more like her performance in that even shittier film, Lucy, than what you would expect or want from the role of Major :sergio:

4/10
:sigh: I had high hopes for that one.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I didn't high hopes for it but still disappointing to read, I was hoping this unique source material would atleast give out an interesting take even if shallow one. But was hoping it would not be train wreck atleast. Let's hope me and PI have vastly different tastes or different thresholds for what's entertaining.

Lucy Btw wasn't all shit, first half was interesting, it seemed it could be suspenseful while exploring that idea ala limitless did. But then it took it whole another bizzare matrix wannabe mumble jumbo, made her to be a God basically, jumped the shark. In fact Lucy screams like the kind of thing that would only be done in typical anime.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Stalker: For a number of reasons it was hard for me to convince myself to sit through what I thought would be a tough and emotionally draining movie, but god what a piece of art. A must watch for everyone. It's been a couple of weeks since I watched it and it still hasn't left my head. One of my all time favorites.

Arrival: Again I was hesitant to watch it because I had a feeling it would be another Interstellar sort of movie. Not that I didn't like interstellar but I wanted something more novel, not through introducing fancy ideas about a new dimension but through playing around with simpler more imaginable concepts, and Arrival was exactly that. There is a moment of realization in the film that entirely changed the story for me (and I assume for everyone else depending on when in the film that moment occurred for them). I loved it.

Nocturnal Animals:
The idea is interesting but it's executed poorly. Overall an average/okay film.

Mustang: Great movie. Reminded me again why I love Turkish cinema SO much. @Turk_Bianconero, have you watched it? Did you hate it?
Turkish women are the most beautiful people in the world btw (their men not so much) :p

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Stalker: For a number of reasons it was hard for me to convince myself to sit through what I thought would be a tough and emotionally draining movie, but god what a piece of art. A must watch for everyone. It's been a couple of weeks since I watched it and it still hasn't left my head. One of my all time favorites.

Arrival: Again I was hesitant to watch it because I had a feeling it would be another Interstellar sort of movie. Not that I didn't like interstellar but I wanted something more novel, not through introducing fancy ideas about a new dimension but through playing around with simpler more imaginable concepts, and Arrival was exactly that. There is a moment of realization in the film that entirely changed the story for me (and I assume for everyone else depending on when in the film that moment occurred for them). I loved it.

Nocturnal Animals:
The idea is interesting but it's executed poorly. Overall an average/okay film.

Mustang: Great movie. Reminded me again why I love Turkish cinema SO much. @Turk_Bianconero, have you watched it? Did you hate it?
Turkish women are the most beautiful people in the world btw (their men not so much) :p
:heart:
@Dostoevsky

Another member of our Tarkovsky love club.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't high hopes for it but still disappointing to read, I was hoping this unique source material would atleast give out an interesting take even if shallow one. But was hoping it would not be train wreck atleast. Let's hope me and PI have vastly different tastes or different thresholds for what's entertaining.

Lucy Btw wasn't all shit, first half was interesting, it seemed it could be suspenseful while exploring that idea ala limitless did. But then it took it whole another bizzare matrix wannabe mumble jumbo, made her to be a God basically, jumped the shark. In fact Lucy screams like the kind of thing that would only be done in typical anime.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
:tup:

I thought the same about Lucy.

Problem with Ghost in the Shell remake was they emptied it of any deeper meaning and made those irritating sort of skin deep "profound" dialogue and statements that drive me mental. It's not deep and half the time when looked at a little more closely it doesn't even really mean anything.

I know our taste is different but I just don't see this film as likeable outside the visual aspect. For example, Scarlett Johansson as Major lost all that subtle, dry and sardonic humour of the original, and played the role in a far too serious fashion. Again, alongside the film, she created a one-dimensional character without layers.

Jul 2, 2006
Is it one of those unbearably boring art films? Hate is a strong word, it is so tiring. Would have been such a waste to hate a movie, especially when there are much more pressing matters. and i thought iranian women better on average.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:heart:
@Dostoevsky

Another member of our Tarkovsky love club.
And she's hot :tuttosport:

Btw I think I'll re-watch it this month. Need to see it again, I watched it only once.

I watched Lucy last night, just because Osman mentioned it. And... it was not all bad. I actually like it wasn't dragged for no reason. It was not good, but it was decent, and I wasn't bored by it. Nice time killer.

- - - Updated - - -

The Accountant - This movie was ubelievably bad. Atrocious script. Ben Affleck needs to consider retirement.

Get Out - Fun movie.
He was good in Gone Girl. Considering how many actors are shit he should be far from the retirement.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Is it one of those unbearably boring art films? Hate is a strong word, it is so tiring. Would have been such a waste to hate a movie, especially when there are much more pressing matters. and i thought iranian women better on average.
No not at all. The film, by its nature, shouldn't be something that you'd enjoy :D The director has also been outspoken against Erdogan :p

Do you like Nuri Bilge's stuff? He's one of my favorite directors.

Jul 2, 2006
No not at all. The film, by its nature, shouldn't be something that you'd enjoy :D The director has also been outspoken against Erdogan :p

Do you like Nuri Bilge's stuff? He's one of my favorite directors.
I didn't watch Nuri Bilge but heard that it is like test of patience. I don't like new stuff in general, it was the old movies, yeşilçam that i appreciated.

and i read comments about the other movie you asked, mustang.(dont worry its not the comments from religious erdogan supporters, quite opposite)
they say it is usual orientalist propaganda bullshit that west adore. it is a forced, fake, shallow and exaggerated parody. throwing shit at erdogan, turks and muslims in general is trending topic in europe. so it is understandable what that director tried to do in order to grab the bone that his owner holding in his hand.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Anna Karenina (2012) - So I finished reading a book and decided to watch this movie and see how well it was executed. So, on one side there's this thing called art, while, on the other, there's this thing called Anna Karenina (2012). I had to take a break and watch it in two parts, cause I couldn't do it one sitting for two hours. Firstly, while reading the book you had a feeling of aristocracy and high society, you had a feeling for moral guidance throughout the book, and you had strong and complex characters who can even be studied. And what did this movie offer? Poorly chosen actors where nobody filled the role as they were supposed to. Keira Knightley is a good actress when it comes to some girly movies or something like Pride and Prejudice where she can't screw up, but here, no, she looked like a half-moron who smiles for no reason and who can't switch personalities. She's good at one thing -- staying silent and smiling. Otherwise, it was a horrible decision to cast her. Jude Law was a good pick for Karenin but his lines were horrible and he was not portrayed as in the books. Levin's complexity wasn't show at all while the actor was simply horrible and one-sided. Alicia Vikander was a good choice, although Kitty in the movie wasn't really developed. So all in all cast was simply horrible. Secondly, what the fuck was that? That was not a movie. They tried to go for syle over substance but even failed at that. It looked like a colorful childish therater filled with semi-non-existant comedy & dance-ish moves which absolutely had no place in the movie. Thirdly, I can't believe somebody thought Lord of the Rings books were butchered! Then what the hell is this!? It has a 6.6 rating for no reason and I guess that's just those who never read the book but watched the movie. But even at that movie failed, I can't believe anybody liked that. The only good thing in the movie were the costumes and that's about it. Everything else is nothing but a crime. It was even worse than both Milanese clubs.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Anna Karenina (2012) - So I finished reading a book and decided to watch this movie and see how well it was executed. So, one one side there's this thing called art, while, on the other, there's this thing called Anna Karenina (2012). I had to take a break and watch it in two parts, cause I couldn't do it one sitting for two hours. Firstly, while reading the book you had a feeling of aristocracy and high society, you had a feeling for moral guidance throughout the book, and you had strong and complex characters who can even be studied. And what did this movie offer? Poorly chosen actors where nobody filled the role as they were supposed to. Keira Knightley is a good actress when it comes to some girly movies or something like Pride and Prejudice where she can't screw up, but here, no, she looked like a half-moron who smiles for no reason and who can't switch personalities. She's good at one thing -- staying silent and smiling. Otherwise, I was a horrible decision to cast her. Jude Law was a good pick for Karenin but his lines were horrible and he was not portrayed as in the books. Levin's complexity wasn't show at all while the actor was simply horrible and one-sided. Alicia Vikander was a good choice, although Kitty in the movie wasn't really developed. So all in all cast was simply horrible. Secondly, what the fuck was that? That was not a movie. They tried to go for syle over substance but even failed at that. It looked like a colorful childish therater filled with semi-non-existant comedy & dance-ish moves which absolutely had no place in the movie. Thirdly, I can't believe somebody thought Lord of the Rings books were butchered! Then what the hell is this!? It has a 6.6 rating for no reason and I guess that's just those who never read the book but watched the movie. But even at that movie failed, I can't believe anybody liked that. The only good thing in the movie were the costumes and that's about it. Everything else is nothing but a crime. It was even worse than both Milanese clubs.
nice rant :D
I liked the book and considered watching this during screener season 2012 iirc, but I assumed it's better to avoid it after watching the trailer, thanks for confirming

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Well you should watch it if you want to cry, laugh or simply rate other movies more. :D
I wonder why so few epic book stories get properly adapted to screen. Les Miserables got a musical adaption which is an adaption itself, Anna Karenina got this, some of my favorite books like A Farewell to Arms or The 3 Comrades didn't get even a shitty movie. Last one I can recall is the Great Gatsby and it was a big success, I wonder why they try so seldom, there are tens of big comic book movies, yet they still keep making them

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I wonder why so few epic book stories get properly adapted to screen. Les Miserables got a musical adaption which is an adaption itself, Anna Karenina got this, some of my favorite books like A Farewell to Arms or The 3 Comrades didn't get even a shitty movie. Last one I can recall is the Great Gatsby and it was a big success, I wonder why they try so seldom, there are tens of big comic book movies, yet they still keep making them
You definitely should watch "Life of Brian". One of the better fiction books adaptations out there.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I wonder why so few epic book stories get properly adapted to screen. Les Miserables got a musical adaption which is an adaption itself, Anna Karenina got this, some of my other favorite books like A Farewell to Arms or The 3 Comrades didn't get even a shitty movie. Last one I can recall is the Great Gatsby and it was a big success, I wonder why there are 5 big comic book movies every year and 1 big real book movie every 5 years
Small things and one-liners filled with special effects will always get their first row. It's what super hero movies offer and it's what audience wants and what they are capable of digesting. The less they think the better. What dialogs can get out of it? Not any. There's just an empty comedy and a pop-corn sitting.

Big books can hardly be directed because it's simply too hard imo. I don't think any Dostoevsky, Turgenev, Tolstoy book can be shown on a big screen. Not just Russian literature, but pretty much every classic that's out there from Goethe to Camus. It's simply too complex and filled with scenes where cinematography fails to deliver. You can read a 5 page sunset while it will be only 5 seconds in the movie. Same goes for ideas and feelings. I think only Welles did a good job adopting Le procès (1962) but it's still way to shit to be compared with the book IMO. Don't forget these generations who'd find all that stuff boring most likely. Who the hell likes philosophy, art and poems where you have magic, dragons, super heros and villians who throw lasers from their eyes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)