Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (54 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Who cares about imdb ratings (especially just for released flicks), the issue is you ever even cared about it. No reason to be so unnecessarily uptight. Deadpool is a FUNNY movie, watch it or dont, your loss or gain, but its basically as simple as that and doesnt call for pretentious rant.
Or perhaps the issue is that you care so much to call out someone's opinion as a "pretentious rant" and call them "unnecessarily uptight", because you don't agree with them. :p (as an aside, it's not really a big deal, we all have a tendency to go after those we disagree with, I know I certainly do :D )

Both CK and I were laughing at IMDB ratings. I said pretty damn hilarious. He said "fuck this generation" with little laughter things.

What I find amusing is that anyone who criticizes anything mainstream is immediately labelled pretentious. It's used so often that it has really lost any meaning and impact.

He even said it's probably a funny movie. I enjoy a ton of mainstream movies that are "fun" and "entertaining"... But critical thinking is still an important ability and one that allows you to analyze the quality of a film, book, artwork, musical composition, etc, outside of that initial "this is fun and entertaining" or "this is not fun and entertaining" reaction. I mean we were literally talking about entertaining penny dreadfuls can be, in the very same posts.

@catch22 While I understand what you're saying and like you I enjoy many different films from all over the cinematic map, I also would like to believe I can step back from a film experience afterwards and think a little about what sort of value the film has, whether pure entertainment (Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, most comedies, etc) or purely informative and enlightening (documentaries), or a mix of entertaining, informative, provocative, challenging, etc (masterpieces of cinema). The last category is why I wouldn't ever rate a film like Deadpool up there with a film like Stalker or 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's just not in the same realm, it offers incredibly little in comparison.

Buy on AliExpress.com

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Why would you even consider me not liking it, dafuck mane? I'm on my 2nd to 3rd one this year thanks to fucking Amazon kindle (Btw it's the best shit there is, never thought I'd say this about reading books on a tablet and you know how old school I am but...Bah, I just love it).

Bought myself a multipack with 3 classic penny dreadfuls, for some odd reason I was in the mood for some of that, finally finished one that someone here (can't remember who) recommended me about the legend of Ragnar lothbrok, his sons and Scandinavian tales, I'm Half way through Rendevzous with Raza and Leviathan Wakes (and I guess the rest of the novels) is on the waiting list.

I'll check that one out :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Superhero, antihero... same fucking thing. It's a Marvel character either way. Although I must admit everybody I know is nonstop about how funny it is and blabla, I might be persuaded to watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

On IMDB it's rated above A Clockwork Orange, Apocalypse Now, M, Das Boost, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Cinema Paradiso, Casablanca and a hundred other timeless pieces... :howler:

Kids giving it 10, the masterpiece rating :howler:
This! In my younger days I used to read at least a couple of books a month. That dwindled down to one or two a year, until late last year when I got the kindle. Figured if I was spending my time in front of a screen randomly browing the internet, might as well switch for a screen which is useful. The fact that you can't do anything else than read on it helps a lot (I've a really short attention span :D). Now I'm back to at least one a month.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Or perhaps the issue is that you care so much to call out someone's opinion as a "pretentious rant" and call them "unnecessarily uptight", because you don't agree with them.(as an aside, it's not really a big deal, we all have a tendency to go after those we disagree with, I know I certainly do :D )

Both CK and I were laughing at IMDB ratings. I said pretty damn hilarious. He said "fuck this generation" with little laughter things.

What I find amusing is that anyone who criticizes anything mainstream is immediately labelled pretentious. It's used so often that it has really lost any meaning and impact.

He even said it's probably a funny movie. I enjoy a ton of mainstream movies that are "fun" and "entertaining"... But critical thinking is still an important ability and one that allows you to analyze the quality of a film, book, artwork, musical composition, etc, outside of that initial "this is fun and entertaining" or "this is not fun and entertaining" reaction. I mean we were literally talking about entertaining penny dreadfuls can be, in the very same posts.

@catch22 While I understand what you're saying and like you I enjoy many different films from all over the cinematic map, I also would like to believe I can step back from a film experience afterwards and think a little about what sort of value the film has, whether pure entertainment (Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, most comedies, etc) or purely informative and enlightening (documentaries), or a mix of entertaining, informative, provocative, challenging, etc (masterpieces of cinema). The last category is why I wouldn't ever rate a film like Deadpool up there with a film like Stalker or 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's just not in the same realm, it offers incredibly little in comparison.
It is pretentious and uptight to rant about a movie you haven't even seen.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'm going to see it tomorrow night. :D New girlfriend is dragging me there. :help:

In all honesty, I look forward to it. Looks entertaining. I'm not much of a marvel, superhero, anti-hero film guy, and the ones I have seen have been mostly mediocre, but this one looks pretty damn funny.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I liked Deadpool too. It could have been more enjoyable with a better structure and better action scenes, but the main attraction, the humor, was awesome. The whole cinema was in stitches. Generally, it was interesting to see a meta superhero movie even if you could probably criticize it for ending up being what it makes fun of.

Bone Tomahawk is well worth a watch. Glad to see Kurt Russell having somewhat of a comeback. Some very gory moments in this one which are really well done.
It literally has one of the sickest death scenes I've seen in quite some time. @ALC stuff. Really good overlooked movie.

Ding ding ding

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Why would you even consider me not liking it, dafuck mane? I'm on my 2nd to 3rd one this year thanks to fucking Amazon kindle (Btw it's the best shit there is, never thought I'd say this about reading books on a tablet and you know how old school I am but...Bah, I just love it).

Bought myself a multipack with 3 classic penny dreadfuls, for some odd reason I was in the mood for some of that, finally finished one that someone here (can't remember who) recommended me about the legend of Ragnar lothbrok, his sons and Scandinavian tales, I'm Half way through Rendevzous with Raza and Leviathan Wakes (and I guess the rest of the novels) is on the waiting list.

I'll check that one out :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Superhero, antihero... same fucking thing. It's a Marvel character either way. Although I must admit everybody I know is nonstop about how funny it is and blabla, I might be persuaded to watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

On IMDB it's rated above A Clockwork Orange, Apocalypse Now, M, Das Boost, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Cinema Paradiso, Casablanca and a hundred other timeless pieces... :howler:

Kids giving it 10, the masterpiece rating :howler:
Nah, there are a lot of geek fucks who live for those movies who society considers as adults.

Not when you know already what you're expecting.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I liked Deadpool too. It could have been more enjoyable with a better structure and better action scenes, but the main attraction, the humor, was awesome. The whole cinema was in stitches. Generally, it was interesting to see a meta superhero movie even if you could probably criticize it for ending up being what it makes fun of.

It literally has one of the sickest death scenes I've seen in quite some time. @ALC stuff. Really good overlooked movie.

Ding ding ding
Ding ding ding... :lol:

You're such a fraud. So ridiculous.

Not to mention that no one was even ranting about Deadpool. About 50 words total across several posts. Yep, that's ranting. :lol:

And yeah, every single person on this planet makes judgments about which films they are going to spend their time and money watching. So yes, we make judgments from trailers, from plot summaries, from genres.

But if you choose the wrong films, so pretentious. :rofl:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
That's why a film like Under The Skin is considered "shite" and any superhero movie with lots of explosions and stupid fight scenes will make a killing. It's what younger people want, society has changed so much to the worst, it's like we're back to the 80's. I seriously don't care for IMDB anymore. First it was Guardians of the Galaxy being rated that high, now this. I'm sure Deadpool is a funny and entertaining movie but just no.
Come on dude, ever since movies have hit the mainstream most really popular movies have been shit. But over time, they get forgotten (for the most part) and only the great ones will be remembered. It will be exactly the same with this generation of movies as it has been with so many others before.

You know what the 3rd highest grossing movie in 1980 was? Superman II.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
icemaη;5199776 said:
This! In my younger days I used to read at least a couple of books a month. That dwindled down to one or two a year, until late last year when I got the kindle. Figured if I was spending my time in front of a screen randomly browing the internet, might as well switch for a screen which is useful. The fact that you can't do anything else than read on it helps a lot (I've a really short attention span :D). Now I'm back to at least one a month.
See @Post Ironic, shit is good! :D

- - - Updated - - -

It can't be about the movie if one haven't seen it. It was rather about it's rating and position in the top best movies of all time list from the biggest movie related website out there, which I strongly refuse to believe it's deserving, seen it or not. But whatever, don't care anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on dude, ever since movies have hit the mainstream most really popular movies have been shit. But over time, they get forgotten (for the most part) and only the great ones will be remembered. It will be exactly the same with this generation of movies as it has been with so many others before.

You know what the 3rd highest grossing movie in 1980 was? Superman II.
Not quite. Let's do a little comparison, shall we? Those are the highest grossing movies of each decade.

Actually I take it back, not even the 80's were that bad. At least there were some truly original even if silly, ideas like Indiana Jones, Terminator, E.T., Ghostbusters and etc that made to the Mainstream... Now look decade by decade how the mainstream kept getting rid of original ideas in favor of Superheroes and animated movies.

I'm sorry, Ocelot, the 00's is by far the worst decade in art, in general. It's as if People don't want to be challenged anymore as they once did, a movie that doesn't hold your hand and goes just a little outside the box is label as boring, pretentious and will not sell.

- - - Updated - - -

Ding ding ding... :lol:

You're such a fraud. So ridiculous.

Not to mention that no one was even ranting about Deadpool. About 50 words total across several posts. Yep, that's ranting. :lol:

And yeah, every single person on this planet makes judgments about which films they are going to spend their time and money watching. So yes, we make judgments from trailers, from plot summaries, from genres.

But if you choose the wrong films, so pretentious. :rofl:
I love Voller but he's a fraud :agree: :D

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Not quite. Let's do a little comparison, shall we? Those are the highest grossing movies of each decade.

Actually I take it back, not even the 80's were that bad. At least there were some truly original even if silly, ideas like Indiana Jones, Terminator, E.T., Ghostbusters and etc that made to the Mainstream... Now look decade by decade how the mainstream kept getting rid of original ideas in favor of Superheroes and animated movies.

I'm sorry, Ocelot, the 00's is by far the worst decade in art, in general. It's as if People don't want to be challenged anymore as they once did, a movie that doesn't hold your hand and goes just a little outside the box is label as boring, pretentious and will not sell.
I think it's pretty fair to criticize the increasing amount of unoriginal movies since around 1980. Your list is interesting and so is this chart:

Figure: Remakes and sequels in the top 50 grossing films at the US box office, 1991 to 2010

I'm not sure, however, that the sequels and remakes are replacements for what would otherwise have been more challenging movies. And I'm also not sure the movies being made now are less challenging compared to the 80's. There are more original indies now, but less original medium-sized Hollywood movies. So I kind of agree with Ocelot there. But again, I'd generally rather see Hollywood try something new - even if it's not thought-provoking - than a remake.

That being said, I think you should hate the game, not the player (not a comment to you, CK). There are some well made remakes and sequels out there - even if it's sad to see the amount of remakes and sequels.

Meh, IMDB ratings are shit, don't take them too seriously.

Deadpool will go down a lot over the next months and years as well.
DING DING DING!!!!!!!!! DING DING DING!!!!!!

My favorite lists are BFI's Sight & Sound poll. There are both a Directors' top 100 and a Critics' top 100. They Shoot Pictures, Don't They is another interesting one.

I love Voller but he's a fraud :agree: :D
You calling me a fraud too. :disagree: :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
icemaη;5199776 said:
I'd always prefer to buy a book and hold it in my hand. It gives a much higher satisfaction imo. However, I'd really like to have a kindle myself. Last time I check though it was impossible to import it here lol. Maybe some day. But I'd really love to have physical copy of all my fav books. So far I've got plenty but I know I'll keep buying when I have some spare money.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
There are, surely. Only reason I still bother to watch them, even though most of the time it ends up disappointing. Hope never dies I guess.

And yes, more original ideas, less remakes and sequels. It's not much to ask for. And yes, Indie/foreign cinema is what still keeps the art alive.

Those BFI Lists are top notch btw. :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

I'd always prefer to buy a book and hold it in my hand. It gives a much higher satisfaction imo. However, I'd really like to have a kindle myself. Last time I check though it was impossible to import it here lol. Maybe some day. But I'd really love to have physical copy of all my fav books. So far I've got plenty but I know I'll keep buying when I have some spare money.
Are you in Atlantis? :D

- - - Updated - - -

But really, it doesn't need to be a kindle, the tablet. Just get any book-sized (or something close) tablet and get the app. All you need is an Amazon account to buy books through it.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
There are, surely. Only reason I still bother to watch them, even though most of the time it ends up disappointing. Hope never dies I guess.

And yes, more original ideas, less remakes and sequels. It's not much to ask for. And yes, Indie/foreign cinema is what still keeps the art alive.

Those BFI Lists are top notch btw. :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Are you in Atlantis? :D

- - - Updated - - -

But really, it doesn't need to be a kindle, the tablet. Just get any book-sized (or something close) tablet and get the app. All you need is an Amazon account to buy books through it.
I heard a regular tablet and a kindle can't be compared when it comes to books reading. :boh:

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
I heard a regular tablet and a kindle can't be compared when it comes to books reading. :boh:
Naah... I have a kindle, my friend has an android that's pretty much the same size and the experience is the same, the app does it all.

Just get a good sized tablet that resembles the size of a book, get the app and you're set.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
I really don't know anything about this, but isn't a paperwhite tablet a lot more comfortable for your eyes?
A bit, yes. Normal tablets I think are LCD but you can always adjust brightness and whatnot.

The kindle also has a much longer battery life (I only charge it once in a lifetime pretty much). Another difference is, say you're directly under sunlight... on a tablet you wouldn't see shit, on a Kindle you do. But then why would I want to get tanned while reading? :D

Personally I'd get a tablet for everything else it offers. And the LCD screen doesn't bother me since I only read a couple of hours at a time. Now if you're going to be doing a daily 6-hour straight book marathons then get a Kindle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 53)