Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (24 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:agree:

Easily one of Ben Kingsley's best performances.

- - - Updated - - -

A fantastic piece of art.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

:tup: Will watch this week.
Have you read House of Leaves? I'm rereading it right now. First time since I was 17. Forgot how utterly disturbing and creepy this book is. Just came across the reference to the monolith from Kubrick's 2001... That idea of a fixed point, something "incontrovertibly there but virtually inviolate to interpretation." :heart:

I don't know if you like to read, but it's definitely a book well worth your time if you do.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Absolute riot, audience were tearing up nonstop. Pure comedy.

One of the rare movies crowd clapped after it ended. Brings the lols to have a character that breaks the 4th wall and engaged with the viewers. Post credit scene

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Absolute riot, audience were tearing up nonstop. Pure comedy.

One of the rare movies crowd clapped after it ended. Brings the lols to have a character that breaks the 4th wall and engaged with the viewers. Post credit scene
I'll have to wait till it comes out on Bluray. I'm pretty sure have the jokes are censored out in this country.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013

Easily one of Ben Kingsley's best performances.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you read House of Leaves? I'm rereading it right now. First time since I was 17. Forgot how utterly disturbing and creepy this book is. Just came across the reference to the monolith from Kubrick's 2001... That idea of a fixed point, something "incontrovertibly there but virtually inviolate to interpretation." :heart:

I don't know if you like to read, but it's definitely a book well worth your time if you do.
Why would you even consider me not liking it, dafuck mane? I'm on my 2nd to 3rd one this year thanks to fucking Amazon kindle (Btw it's the best shit there is, never thought I'd say this about reading books on a tablet and you know how old school I am but...Bah, I just love it).

Bought myself a multipack with 3 classic penny dreadfuls, for some odd reason I was in the mood for some of that, finally finished one that someone here (can't remember who) recommended me about the legend of Ragnar lothbrok, his sons and Scandinavian tales, I'm Half way through Rendevzous with Raza and Leviathan Wakes (and I guess the rest of the novels) is on the waiting list.

I'll check that one out :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Deadpool isn't really a superhero. Plus, the movie is just ridiculously funny. Funnier than any film I saw last year probably
Superhero, antihero... same fucking thing. It's a Marvel character either way. Although I must admit everybody I know is nonstop about how funny it is and blabla, I might be persuaded to watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

I already hate Deadpool.
On IMDB it's rated above A Clockwork Orange, Apocalypse Now, M, Das Boost, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Cinema Paradiso, Casablanca and a hundred other timeless pieces... :howler:

Kids giving it 10, the masterpiece rating :howler:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Why would you even consider me not liking it, dafuck mane? I'm on my 2nd to 3rd one this year thanks to fucking Amazon kindle (Btw it's the best shit there is, never thought I'd say this about reading books on a tablet and you know how old school I am but...Bah, I just love it).

Bought myself a multipack with 3 classic penny dreadfuls, for some odd reason I was in the mood for some of that, finally finished one that someone here (can't remember who) recommended me about the legend of Ragnar lothbrok, his sons and Scandinavian tales, I'm Half way through Rendevzous with Raza and Leviathan Wakes (and I guess the rest of the novels) is on the waiting list.

I'll check that one out :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Superhero, antihero... same fucking thing. It's a Marvel character either way. Although I must admit everybody I know is nonstop about how funny it is and blabla, I might be persuaded to watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

On IMDB it's rated above A Clockwork Orange, Apocalypse Now, M, Das Boost, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Cinema Paradiso, Casablanca and a hundred other timeless pieces... :howler:

Kids giving it 10, the masterpiece rating :howler:
:lol: at that last bit. Deadpool looks entertaining, especially as far as Marvel films go, but to give it a top 20 rating of all time (8.7 on IMDB puts it tied for like 15th highest rated film) is pretty damn hilarious.

I figured you read lots. :D That's why I recommended the book. It's definitely not the type of book I'd recommend to anyone who wasn't into reading. Question was just force of habit as so many people don't read much anymore. Penny dreadfuls can be really entertaining. That gothic, Victorian vibe. They are what they are as far as often being poorly written or plotted out, but all the same, that doesn't change how enjoyable they can be.

I really can't read on a tablet. I don't know why, but I absolutely love the feel of a book, the act of turning pages, and having shelves filled with books is pretty great as well, definitely makes the home feel more cosy and lived in.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
:lol: at that last bit. Deadpool looks entertaining, especially as far as Marvel films go, but to give it a top 20 rating of all time (8.7 on IMDB puts it tied for like 15th highest rated film) is pretty damn hilarious.

I figured you read lots. :D That's why I recommended the book. It's definitely not the type of book I'd recommend to anyone who wasn't into reading. Question was just force of habit as so many people don't read much anymore. Penny dreadfuls can be really entertaining. That gothic, Victorian vibe. They are what they are as far as often being poorly written or plotted out, but all the same, that doesn't change how enjoyable they can be.

I really can't read on a tablet. I don't know why, but I absolutely love the feel of a book, the act of turning pages, and having shelves filled with books is pretty great as well, definitely makes the home feel more cosy and lived in.
That's why a film like Under The Skin is considered "shite" and any superhero movie with lots of explosions and stupid fight scenes will make a killing. It's what younger people want, society has changed so much to the worst, it's like we're back to the 80's. I seriously don't care for IMDB anymore. First it was Guardians of the Galaxy being rated that high, now this. I'm sure Deadpool is a funny and entertaining movie but just no.

I don't do as much tbh, I did a lot as an young adult, growing up and all. Now the free time I got I want to be entertained by stupid shit like videogames :lol: Although Amazon Kindle saved my life and gave me the joy I was missing to get back to reading ways.

Yeah, you're right about the Penny Dreadfuls, they were cheap (it's called a PENNY dreadful for a reason :D) and poorly written back then and they aged the same way, but it's influence in our culture was immense, especially in cinema. From German Expressionism to Hitchcock.

I agree, it's not the same thing. But look, about 5 years ago I had a horrible experience with ebooks and went back to physical. Softwares simply weren't as good as they are today. It was a bit of a burden, really. And the headache, ouch. Kindle is a pretty good app. Nowadays I'm favoring ebooks to be honest, it's just so much more practical, I can buy it and read it right away, the features like word wise helps if you're reading something old with several old English words, I can use it on my phone if I'm away, etc...

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
Imdb ratings are useful, but not within a few weeks of the release. Especially for a film which has fanboys (Star Wars, LOTR, comicbook films) as they will give inflated ratings. In a year's time Deadpool's rating will probably be a low 8

- - - Updated - - -

That's why a film like Under The Skin is considered "$#@!e" and any superhero movie with lots of explosions and stupid fight scenes will make a killing. It's what younger people want, society has changed so much to the worst, it's like we're back to the 80's. I seriously don't care for IMDB anymore. First it was Guardians of the Galaxy being rated that high, now this. I'm sure Deadpool is a funny and entertaining movie but just no.
Why can't people appreciate both? I loved Deadpool, and I thought Under the Skin was pretty damn interesting.

Also, what is a rating? How are people supposed to rate things? I love The Wire and have given it a rating of 8 on imdb, I've also given Archer a rating of 8. Do I think Archer is as good as The Wire? Of course not, but I find Archer more fun. One is more intellectually stimulating and a great story, but the other I find incredibly fun and easy to watch.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Who cares about imdb ratings (especially just for released flicks), the issue is you ever even cared about it. No reason to be so unnecessarily uptight. Deadpool is a FUNNY movie, watch it or dont, your loss or gain, but its basically as simple as that and doesnt call for pretentious rant.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Bone Tomahawk is well worth a watch. Glad to see Kurt Russell having somewhat of a comeback. Some very gory moments in this one which are really well done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)