Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (30 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Just watched Straight Outta Compton on my day off. Thought it was great for what it was. While the actors didn't look exactly like the guys they were portraying, the story felt real.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Pros: Historical setting, exciting first movie about egypian mythology, casting Jaime Lannister and Leonidas.

Con: LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING CO PRODUCED BY NICKOLEODON AND MTV AND DIRECTED BY UWE BOLL :lol:

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Pros: Historical setting, exciting first movie about egypian mythology, casting Jaime Lannister and Leonidas.

Con: LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING CO PRODUCED BY NICKOLEODON AND MTV AND DIRECTED BY UWE BOLL :lol:
There are no pros when it's a bunch of white actors playing the role of Egyptians. Turns me off completely.

that second part of your comment :lol:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
There are no pros when it's a bunch of white actors playing the role of Egyptians. Turns me off completely.

that second part of your comment :lol:
but to be fair you have to get actors on board who are known to draw audiences to get funding so you can make the movie in the first place...if you cast a bunch of people who nobody recognizes to be historically accurate/sensitive you probably won't get a movie made at all.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
but to be fair you have to get actors on board who are known to draw audiences to get funding so you can make the movie in the first place...if you cast a bunch of people who nobody recognizes to be historically accurate/sensitive you probably won't get a movie made at all.
Apocalypto. Not even in English. That's a lame excuse tbh.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Apocalypto. Not even in English. That's a lame excuse tbh.
well yea obviously its not only recognizable actors that can generate buzz there's plenty of other factors but not every movie has original ideas an awesome script or director so they compensate with actors. Im not saying this is going to be a great movie...that moses movie with Christian bale sucked the D...probably the only reason it got made was landing someone of Bale's caliber

Apolcalypto had a lot else going for it. its all about what some fatcats think will sell

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
well yea obviously its not only recognizable actors that can generate buzz there's plenty of other factors but not every movie has original ideas an awesome script or director so they compensate with actors. Im not saying this is going to be a great movie...that moses movie with Christian bale sucked the D
I refuse to believe there weren't any black/dark skinned top well known actors famous enough to draw the audience. In fact I'm certain there are many.

Yes, I turned it off half way through the movie, horrible. This one I won't even bother.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
That was financed by Gibson's own production company.
That's beyond the point. Apocalypto is filled with nothing but unknown actors - at least to the west eyes - but that was not what I suggested with this new ancient Egypt movie. They could still make it a mainstream that appeals to the general public with more accurate actors (white dudes as Egyptians my ass) to the role of Africans, from what i Read they definitely had the budget to do it. Hell, Will Smith alone would allow them to do that, just saying.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
That's beyond the point.
Well, Kyle said they get famous actors on board to get funding, and you mentioned Apocalypto as a counter-example.

from what i Read they definitely had the budget to do it.
The studios greenlight the project with the main actors as part of the deal. They don't give Ridley Scott $140M and tell him to cast whoever he wants.

That's beyond the point. Apocalypto is filled with nothing but unknown actors - at least to the west eyes - but that was not what I suggested with this new ancient Egypt movie. They could still make it a mainstream that appeals to the general public with more accurate actors (white dudes as Egyptians my ass) to the role of Africans, from what i Read they definitely had the budget to do it. Hell, Will Smith alone would allow them to do that, just saying.
I mean, someone with Will Smith or Denzel Washington's star power could have got the picture financed as well, but though that might have been nice to see something else than 'white' Egyptians, that wouldn't necessarily have been more accurate: "We are mostly limited to the subjective statements of Egyptians and the outsiders who depicted them, which suggest that majority of people of pharaonic Egypt were neither white nor black, by modern standards." http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...e_ancient_egyptians_white_black_or_brown.html

Though I'd also prefer more authentic actors, it's just difficult to do within the studio system. Having that said, I really think the actors were one of the smallest problems with Exodus. :D

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
It sure looks terrible. :D Why even watch it?
Is that a Nick Cage film you speak of?
Yes, it came on after another film on Netflix and was like a train wreck so I had to watch the first bit. Couldn't watch anymore. What a premise. Nick cage and old aniken skywalker fight Arabs in Jerusalem and then it jumps to China. Somehow then Aniken is in fucking China and a drug addict.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, it came on after another film on Netflix and was like a train wreck so I had to watch the first bit. Couldn't watch anymore. What a premise. Nick cage and old aniken skywalker fight Arabs in Jerusalem and then it jumps to China. Somehow then Aniken is in fucking China and a drug addict.
Yeah, I watched that too.:cry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)