Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (28 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
If there is a good HD transfer of the film available MUBI shows it in HD. Some films have different resolutions available that one can choose. But many are just on there in the quality of the transfer available. Mostly 720 or 1080, and often HD.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it was odd at first too, the 30 movies at any given time. It's a curated online cinema. Kind of like those interesting little cinematheques that still exist in bigger cities and show a variety of films from around the world and all eras.

I've come to kind of like that only 30 are available at a given time. If the entire 200,000 film catalogue was available, I'm sure I'd gravitate mostly towards directors and films I had some familiarity with. With it curated and hand-picked in a sense, it forces me to see films I probably never would come across otherwise in browsing the catalogue.
:tup:

That "force me to watch films I wouldn't have seen otherwise" argument sounds stupid though. :p I'd rather learn about new movies from other people than from a random website. I'll still check it out though. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The one PostIronic has linked to should be fine. I'm pretty sure I used the same one some months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

And then you don't think Stalker was philosophical? :disagree:

Anyways, Waking Life fits your description perfectly. It's basically a bunch of non-connected philosophical discussions accompanied by surrealistic animation. I'm not a big fan, but it's definitely worth checking out. Blade Runner also fits the bill. You should also really, really check out some Malick films. I think The Thin Red Line is a great place to start. It's a fucking masterpiece. Trust me, Dule. Do it!
Dule would like Waking Life. :agree:

Also, while The Thin Red Line is awesome. Watch it and then watch Badlands, also by Malick. I find the films to be an interesting match. Malick is the voice-over master.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

That "force me to watch films I wouldn't have seen otherwise" argument sounds stupid though. :p I'd rather learn about new movies from other people than from a random website. I'll still check it out though. :D
I was once a member of the Film Movement's film of the month club. Saw some good stuff, some mediocre stuff.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

:D It does seem a silly argument, and perhaps I could have worded it a bit better. It's like an introduction to interesting new films from a group of people involved in cinema. It's like a year round film festival I suppose, a curated selection of films chosen, and you can pick through them and decide which ones are worth watching. I generally check out about 10-15 of the 30 each month. Films show up that I've seen before, others look terrible, or at least like films I wouldn't enjoy, and what remains I try to watch. It's similar to what I do each year at the couple big film festivals I go to. I check out the trailer of anything that sounds remotely interesting, and look for some critic reviews, and then decide from there what to see of the few hundred films showing over the two weeks. MUBI is kind of like that. Except, $5 a month, instead of spending $200-$300 over a couple weeks at a film fest.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I was once a member of the Film Movement's film of the month club. Saw some good stuff, some mediocre stuff.
I've actually never heard of that. Is that a mistake?

- - - Updated - - -

I read the book before I saw the movie. That should explain it.
I've heard they are completely different. True?

- - - Updated - - -

:D It does seem a silly argument, and perhaps I could have worded it a bit better. It's like an introduction to interesting new films from a group of people involved in cinema. It's like a year round film festival I suppose, a curated selection of films chosen, and you can pick through them and decide which ones are worth watching. I generally check out about 10-15 of the 30 each month. Films show up that I've seen before, others look terrible, or at least like films I wouldn't enjoy, and what remains I try to watch. It's similar to what I do each year at the couple big film festivals I go to. I check out the trailer of anything that sounds remotely interesting, and look for some critic reviews, and then decide from there what to see of the few hundred films showing over the two weeks. MUBI is kind of like that. Except, $5 a month, instead of spending $200-$300 over a couple weeks at a film fest.
Hope they pay you a good salary at Mubi. :p

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I've actually never heard of that. Is that a mistake?

I've heard they are completely different. True?
1) No, I got to see some films I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Like "He Died with a Felafel in His Hand" and others. It was around 2003, so streaming and whatnot wasn't like it is today. So it was either that or only get exposed to whatever foreign films made it through the Oscars. Looks like they're still around today: http://www.filmmovement.com/

2) They are. So for someone who loves the book, the movie can never be considered a masterpiece. Even though it is very, very good and probably the greatest war film of all time next to All Quiet.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
1) No, I got to see some films I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Like "He Died with a Felafel in His Hand" and others. It was around 2003, so streaming and whatnot wasn't like it is today. So it was either that or only get exposed to whatever foreign films made it through the Oscars. Looks like they're still around today: http://www.filmmovement.com/

2) They are. So for someone who loves the book, the movie can never be considered a masterpiece. Even though it is very, very good and probably the greatest war film of all time next to All Quiet.
Thanks. :tup:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
And then you don't think Stalker was philosophical? :disagree:

Anyways, Waking Life fits your description perfectly. It's basically a bunch of non-connected philosophical discussions accompanied by surrealistic animation. I'm not a big fan, but it's definitely worth checking out. Blade Runner also fits the bill. You should also really, really check out some Malick films. I think The Thin Red Line is a great place to start. It's a fucking masterpiece. Trust me, Dule. Do it!
Dule would like Waking Life. :agree:

Also, while The Thin Red Line is awesome. Watch it and then watch Badlands, also by Malick. I find the films to be an interesting match. Malick is the voice-over master.

I watched Waking Life a couple of months ago and I actually liked it (not something spectacular surely but worth of watching imo), so yeah, some stuff like that would be good enough. I also watched Blade Runner and oh please that movie is so overrated, it's nothing but decent and doesn't fit into my stuff at all :stuckup:

Some time ago I asked about The Thin Red Line and iirc people said it's not that good :boh: so I even deleted it. I guess I'll get it again. I'll also check the other one, E.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Memories of Murder - What a hidden gem this was (at least for me). Pretty great movie, I really liked it.

The Thin Red Line - Well, you guys kinda nailed it, I loved this movie. I like the contrast of good vs evil and a great monologue. Looked like more than just a movie to me and it was exactly what I wanted to see, or read. :tup:

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
The Thin Red Line - Well, you guys kinda nailed it, I loved this movie. I like the contrast of good vs evil and a great monologue. Looked like more than just a movie to me and it was exactly what I wanted to see, or read. :tup:
Now watch The Tree of Life as I've told you to do for months. It's the definition of more than a movie. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)