Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (147 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Because you recommended both! :stuckup:
I don't get it. :D Anyways, The Tree of Life, The New World and To the Wonder are also voice-over heavy. Badlands and Days of Heaven are more minimalistic. All good, but I personally prefer the voice-over heavy ones (except To the Wonder, that's a turd).

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Bergman's Winter Light also fits the bill. It's really great.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
lol I noticed it and especially on that part! But I had no idea it was him who did it :D

Oh and Morricone is like my second favorite lol, so can't wait to see how his music blends in the movie.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I laughed last night when I saw it was the same director. :D I'll watch it when I grab a chance to watch it... alone.

Gonna continue with some Korean stuff tonight.
Kim Ki-Duk! I can't say it enough. Amazing director. Pieta; 3-Iron; Samaritan Girl; Arirang; Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... And Spring

The '60s film Aimless Bullet by Yu Hyun-Mok is quite good too.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I only watched Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring from him and that was just recently. But I can't say I was impressed, imo it was just a decent movie. I liked the idea but somehow I had a feeling they failed to execute it.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Oh douchen :touched: How you grown so wonderfully quick :) From the guy who didnt see even the most obvious films, to now a complete and obbsessed cinophile who even watches Korean cinema :smoke: PostIronic is more into depth on them since I havent seen korean films this year (or even past one), but I used to watch their stuff nonstop, everything from most obvious blockbusters to Ki-Duk and others smaller screen masterpieces.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Oh douchen :touched: How you grown so wonderfully quick :) From the guy who didnt see even the most obvious films, to now a complete and obbsessed cinophile who even watches Korean cinema :smoke:
That's never good, it just means loss of creativity. :p

But jeez, don't even remind me, a couple of years ago I said I'd never watch black and white movies :lol: pure retardism right there.

PostIronic is more into depth on them since I havent seen korean films this year (or even past one), but I used to watch their stuff nonstop, everything from most obvious blockbusters to Ki-Duk and others smaller screen masterpieces.
Feel free to post the ones you liked the most. :D Althought my want-to-watch list is pretty huge lol.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I only watched Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring from him and that was just recently. But I can't say I was impressed, imo it was just a decent movie. I liked the idea but somehow I had a feeling they failed to execute it.
It's not really the best example of his work, being quiet and contemplative, as opposed to his usual brutality and disturbed aesthetic. I liked it, but would not call it a great film. Try out Pieta and see what you think for something more indicative of his body of work.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It's not really the best example of his work, being quiet and contemplative, as opposed to his usual brutality and disturbed aesthetic. I liked it, but would not call it a great film. Try out Pieta and see what you think for something more indicative of his body of work.
Nowadays I like such movies and I can enjoy it truly. But it's like something was missing, it had some great parts, but other parts were below average. Only for that reason I'd say it's just decent, but the idea was great. I'll check him out anyway.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Btw this thread has actually encouraged me to finally work on my embarassing knowledge of some of the most classic of films. The past three days I've watched Metropolis, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove, movies which, along with others that will hopefully follow soon, I had planned to watch for a couple of years now, but always found something else to do.

Never look back. Especially 2001 and Dr. Strangelove have instantely entered my list of GOAT-tier movies. I'm beginning to understand the obsession that every cinephile I know has with Kubrick.

Upcoming targets:
Shawshank Redemption
Seven Samurai
Goodfellas
A Clockwork Orange
Der Dritte Mann
M
To Kill a Mockingbird

Afterwards I'm looking forward to venture into the more obscure genre :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 141)