Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (61 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
German expressionism had some of the most brilliant horror films/scary characters. Dr Mabuse, Dr Caligari, Count Orlok, The Golem, and so on. There was something so subtle and nuanced in those seminal films that gave birth to the horror genre, something that is unfortunately lacking in most modern horror films that leave so little to the imagination. Brilliant era. The Cabinet of Dr Caligari remains one of my favourite films ever made. The sets and the atmosphere of that film. :tuttosport:

Buy on AliExpress.com

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
M heavily influenced the whole Pschylogical thriller genre.

Metropolis heavily influenced the whole Sci-fi genre.

Dr Caligari and Nosferatu the horror genre.

A couple years back i did a marathon and watched only German Expressionism movies for a month, including most unknown ones like The Golem, Destiny, Faust. Warning Shadows... It was a brief scene but arguably the most important in cinema history.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
C'eravamo Tanti Amati - I didn't like it, thought it was very boring.

My Neighbor Totoro - Can't go wrong with Miyazaki, quite brilliant how he makes connections with chars and how strong impact have the simples moves, taking off the shoes etc.

American Psycho - Wonderful performance by Bale indeed, he played that role perfectly. But movie as a whole did not leave a great impression for me. Classic? Not for me lol.

Sacrifice - What a brilliant movie, my favorite of Trakovsky so far, hats down. With this one I appreciate the guy a whole lot more too.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Sacrifice - What a brilliant movie, my favorite of Trakovsky so far, hats down. With this one I appreciate the guy a whole lot more too.
Which other films by Tarkovsky have you seen?

You said you like Bergman, right? The Sacrifice is his most Bergman"esque" film. Filmed in Sweden; Erland Josephson starred for a second time in a Tarkovsky film (Nostalghia was the first), but this time in the lead role and he was mostly known for his work in Bergman's films; Sven Nykvist was the cinematographer and also a friend and frequent cinematographer for Bergman; Production designer Anna Asp also worked on a number of Bergman films.

- - - Updated - - -

M heavily influenced the whole Pschylogical thriller genre.

Metropolis heavily influenced the whole Sci-fi genre.

Dr Caligari and Nosferatu the horror genre.

A couple years back i did a marathon and watched only German Expressionism movies for a month, including most unknown ones like The Golem, Destiny, Faust. Warning Shadows... It was a brief scene but arguably the most important in cinema history.
I haven't seen Warning Shadows yet. I assume now, I probably should. The use of shadows was so synonymous with the Expressionist era in cinema.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Which other films by Tarkovsky have you seen?

You said you like Bergman, right? The Sacrifice is his most Bergman"esque" film. Filmed in Sweden; Erland Josephson starred for a second time in a Tarkovsky film (Nostalghia was the first), but this time in the lead role and he was mostly known for his work in Bergman's films; Sven Nykvist was the cinematographer and also a friend and frequent cinematographer for Bergman; Production designer Anna Asp also worked on a number of Bergman films.
Landscape was also pretty familiar but I've seen somebody mention how it took place where Bergman filmed some of his stuff. I do like Bergman (although I've seen only 3 of his iirc) but I did not like The Seventh Seal, I think it's overrated.

I've seen Stalker and Zerkalo as well. I think I'll see Andrei Rublev next, but not so soon most likely.

But man, like 5 months ago I never knew those guys even existed lol. Now new movies look even more shit than they used to, I can't believe how creative and unique they were.

- - - Updated - - -

Which one? The one from 1926?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Landscape was also pretty familiar but I've seen somebody mention how it took place where Bergman filmed some of his stuff. I do like Bergman (although I've seen only 3 of his iirc) but I did not like The Seventh Seal, I think it's overrated.

I've seen Stalker and Zerkalo as well. I think I'll see Andrei Rublev next, but not so soon most likely.

But man, like 5 months ago I never knew those guys even existed lol. Now new movies look even more $#@! than they used to, I can't believe how creative and unique they were.
Check out Nostalghia sometime, as I think you'll like it. It's most similar to The Sacrifice as far as Tarkovsky films go, though perhaps not quite as brilliant. One of the scenes in the film though, is perhaps my favourite in all of cinema.

Another film you might check out, if you like these, is Bela Tarr's Werckmeister Harmonies. Incredible film. Although the use of foreign actors in a couple roles that necessitated their voices dubbed after, bothers some people it seems.

Seventh Seal is not a favourite of mine either. I appreciate it, but never got super into it. I much prefer his dark psychological fantasy-horror Hour of the Wolf.

It really is an eye-opening experience to delve into such cinema after years of inundation in mostly hollywood $&#%.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Check out Nostalghia sometimes, as I think you'll like it. It's most similar to The Sacrifice as far as Tarkovsky films go, though perhaps not quite as brilliant. One of the scenes in the film though, is perhaps my favourite in all of cinema.

Another film you might check out, if you like these, is Bela Tarr's Werckmeister Harmonies. Incredible film. Although the use of foreign actors in a couple roles that necessitated their voices dubbed after, bothers some people it seems.

Seventh Seal is not a favourite of mine either. I appreciate it, but never got super into it. I much prefer his dark psychological fantasy-horror Hour of the Wolf.

It really is an eye-opening experience to delve into such cinema after years of inundation in mostly hollywood $&#%.
I know you mentioned Tarr already, I written her down in my notebook (along with Lopushansky, Bartas, Bódy, Sukorov). :D

I'm planning to see all of his work, so Nostalghia is pretty much a must, it's just a matter of time before I check it out.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013

But man, like 5 months ago I never knew those guys even existed lol. Now new movies look even more shit than they used to, I can't believe how creative and unique they were
There was something in the water back in the 50's/60's/70's. The Human race was flooded with creativity, artistically speaking.

Modern movies lack uniqueness. There's too much time wasted on remakes and brainless action to satisfy the general viewer. In fact i think they're the ones at fault here. The directors are just giving them what they want.

Prometheus is a good example of how a movie that tries to not hold your hand and give you all the answers fails to deliver, according to the general viewer. That's why time and time again i find myself scavenging for oldies.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
There was something in the water back in the 50's/60's/70's. The Human race was flooded with creativity, artistically speaking.

Modern movies lack uniqueness. There's too much time wasted on remakes and brainless action to satisfy the general viewer. In fact i think they're the ones at fault here. The directors are just giving them what they want.

Prometheus is a good example of how a movie that tries to not hold your hand and give you all the answers fails to deliver, according to the general viewer. That's why time and time again i find myself scavenging for oldies.
Nowadays it's all about the profit which makes movies genre quite selective. Tarkovsky even if he was alive wouldn't make a fortune from his work, he's a rare person who didn't care for cash only imo. Today we're seeing a domination of super heroes and it's crazy when you see how much those guys earn in only one month after it's release. The old ones (especially Tarkovsky, Bergman and co.) aren't really for everybody and I totally get that. But I guess producers can't swallow such thing as they wanna hit all generations and everyone at once. Old movies are also better since they had to have a story since unlike today they had no visual effects etc.

But I believe it's also harder today, since the number of movies that has been released probably can't be counted, so I guess it's hard(er) to find something that hasn't been covered already -- which makes us go back onto remakes.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think the most telling thing for me was the award-winning Steven Soderbergh who recently said he's only interested in TV production and not movies because the medium allows for more complex characters today.

Movies are cardboard caricatures by necessity today.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

I'd +rep this several times over, but I apparently have to spread the love. :lol:

Lesser known current directors that I find quite brilliant would be:

Bela Tarr --- Werckmeister Harmonies; Satantango; The Man From London
Janos Szasz --- Opium, Diary of a Mad Woman; Woyzeck; The Notebook
Nuri Bilge Ceylan --- Uzak; Winter Sleep; Once Upon A Time in Anatolia
Roy Andersson --- Songs From the Second Floor; You, The Living
Jafar Panahi --- The White Balloon; The Circle; Offside
Joachim Trier --- Oslo, August 31; Reprise
Abbas Kiarostami --- Close-Up; Taste of Cherry; Like Someone in Love
Leos Carax --- Girl On the Bridge --- Holy Motors --- Mauvais Sang
Jacques Audiard --- Rust And Bone; The Beat My Heart Skipped; Read My Lips
Corneliu Porumboiu --- Police, Adjective; When Evening Falls On Bucharest
Kim-Ki Duk --- Pieta; Moebius; Arirang; Real Fiction
Catalin Mitulescu --- Loverboy; The Way I Spent The End of the World
Yorgos Lanthimos --- Dogtooth; Alps
Sarunas Bartas --- Koridorius; Few Of Us; Seven Invisible Men
Cristi Puiu --- The Death of Mr Lazarescu; Aurora
Gyorgi Palfi --- Taxidermia; Free Fall
Lech Majewski --- Field of Dogs; The Mill and The Cross; The Garden of Earthly Delights
Peter Strickland ---Katalin Varga; Berberian Sound Studio
PAtrice Leconte --- Girl on the Bridge; Man on the Train
Kira Muratova --- Asthenic Syndrome; Melody for a Street Organ
Lucrecia Martel --- La Cienaga; La Mujer Sin Cabeza
Jens Lien --- The Bothersome Man; Johnny Vang; Sons Of Norway
Ana Lily Amirpour --- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
Davide Manuli --- Beket; The Legend of Kaspar Hauser
Athina Tsangari --- Attenberg

- - - Updated - - -

I think the most telling thing for me was the award-winning Steven Soderbergh who recently said he's only interested in TV production and not movies because the medium allows for more complex characters today.

That's an interesting point from Soderbergh. It is rather telling, and somewhat depressing. I suppose the greater length and the freedom being allowed directors in TV currently makes for a market conducive to creating interesting television...

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
I'd +rep this several times over, but I apparently have to spread the love. :lol:

Lesser known current directors that I find quite brilliant would be:

Bela Tarr --- Werckmeister Harmonies; Satantango; The Man From London
Janos Szasz --- Opium, Diary of a Mad Woman; Woyzeck; The Notebook
Nuri Bilge Ceylan --- Uzak; Winter Sleep; Once Upon A Time in Anatolia
Roy Andersson --- Songs From the Second Floor; You, The Living
Jafar Panahi --- The White Balloon; The Circle; Offside
Joachim Trier --- Oslo, August 31; Reprise
Abbas Kiarostami --- Close-Up; Taste of Cherry; Like Someone in Love
Leos Carax --- Girl On the Bridge --- Holy Motors --- Mauvais Sang
Jacques Audiard --- Rust And Bone; The Beat My Heart Skipped; Read My Lips
Corneliu Porumboiu --- Police, Adjective; When Evening Falls On Bucharest
Kim-Ki Duk --- Pieta; Moebius; Arirang; Real Fiction
Catalin Mitulescu --- Loverboy; The Way I Spent The End of the World
Yorgos Lanthimos --- Dogtooth; Alps
Sarunas Bartas --- Koridorius; Few Of Us; Seven Invisible Men
Cristi Puiu --- The Death of Mr Lazarescu; Aurora
Gyorgi Palfi --- Taxidermia; Free Fall
Lech Majewski --- Field of Dogs; The Mill and The Cross; The Garden of Earthly Delights
Peter Strickland ---Katalin Varga; Berberian Sound Studio
PAtrice Leconte --- Girl on the Bridge; Man on the Train
Kira Muratova --- Asthenic Syndrome; Melody for a Street Organ
Lucrecia Martel --- La Cienaga; La Mujer Sin Cabeza
Jens Lien --- The Bothersome Man; Johnny Vang; Sons Of Norway
Ana Lily Amirpour --- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
Davide Manuli --- Beket; The Legend of Kaspar Hauser
Athina Tsangari --- Attenberg

- - - Updated - - -

That's an interesting point from Soderbergh. It is rather telling, and somewhat depressing. I suppose the greater length and the freedom being allowed directors in TV currently makes for a market conducive to creating interesting television...
That's a great list but i don't really know all of them or at least i wouldn't remember all those names :D

Off the top of my head i can remember 5 directors of the "new generation" i find interesting (They might be considered well known though):

Duncan Jones - Moon, Source Code
Nicolas Winding Refn - Drive, Vahalla Rising, Only, God Forgives
Tom Tywker - Cloud Atlas, Perfume, Run Lola Run
Joel Coen - Fargo, Miller's Crossing
David Aronofsky - Requiem For a Dream, Black Swan, The Wrestler

I'd also add David Fincher, Christopher Nolan and Paul Thomas Anderson.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
That's a great list but i don't really know all of them or at least i wouldn't remember all those names :D

Off the top of my head i can remember 5 directors of the "new generation" i find interesting (They might be considered well known though):

Duncan Jones - Moon, Source Code
Nicolas Winding Refn - Drive, Vahalla Rising, Only, God Forgives
Tom Tywker - Cloud Atlas, Perfume, Run Lola Run
Joel Coen - Fargo, Miller's Crossing
David Aronofsky - Requiem For a Dream, Black Swan, The Wrestler

I'd also add David Fincher, Christopher Nolan and Paul Thomas Anderson.
The Coen Brothers. :tup: Barton Fink is such a good film. John Turturro is such a good actor. It's really too bad he doesn't get more lead roles. And O Brother Where Art Thou.

Paul Thomas Anderson is great. I was disappointed with Valhalla Rising. Hoever, Nicolas Winding Refn is quite a talented director. Drive was excellent and I thought Only God Forgives was much better than the critics suggested. A lot of people were too blinded by the violence in that film. Mads Mikkelsen is an incredible actor though, The Hunt was such a good performance.

For current North American directors, throw in Jim Jarmusch, Vincent Gallo (for his acting too), Xavier Dolan, and Azazel Jacobs too.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
C'eravamo Tanti Amati - I didn't like it, thought it was very boring.

My Neighbor Totoro - Can't go wrong with Miyazaki, quite brilliant how he makes connections with chars and how strong impact have the simples moves, taking off the shoes etc.

American Psycho - Wonderful performance by Bale indeed, he played that role perfectly. But movie as a whole did not leave a great impression for me. Classic? Not for me lol.

we said it's a CULT classic, not A classic :p

- - - Updated - - -

might as well call it the vine geenration

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 56)