Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (99 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
cult classic yo
Do you rate it highly?

I think it remains, to this day, alongside The Machinist and The Fighter, one of Bale's top three performances. Bale is one of the better mainstream actors out there, today. That little monologue on Huey Lewis' music before he axes Jared Leto, such a brilliant scene. It's not a brilliant film, but it's a good one. Have you read the book? It's one of those rare cases of an adaptation that really doesn't suffer too much alongside the book. Interesting, that the director, Mary Harron (Canadian!) has pretty much vanished after such a promising start to her career, with I Shot Andy Warhol, American Psycho, and The Notorious Bettie Page all being pretty good films, and she has done almost nothing on the silver screen since.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
That movie was so misleading. Totally thought it was a crime thriller, turned out to be movie of the week possession horror bullshit.
:lol: It was misleading indeed. If anything it was different from most horror movies out there, that alone makes it a little bit interesting, just a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, The Purge Anarchy was a waste of my time.

Enough with the shitty movies, let the Tarkovsky weekend begin.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Do you rate it highly?

I think it remains, to this day, alongside The Machinist and The Fighter, one of Bale's top three performances. Bale is one of the better mainstream actors out there, today. That little monologue on Huey Lewis' music before he axes Jared Leto, such a brilliant scene. Have you read the book? It's one of those rare cases of an adaptation that really doesn't suffer too much alongside the book. Interesting, that the director, Mary Harron (Canadian!) has pretty much vanished after such a promising start to her career, with I Shot Andy Warhol, American Psycho, and The Notorious Bettie Page all being pretty good films, and she has done almost nothing on the silver screen since.

his best work for me is empire of the sun and dark knight :p cult classic because of how much it gets quoted/homaged

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I certainly forgot about Empire of the Sun. You might be right there. Something about superhero films has always rubbed me the wrong way, so I've probably never given any of the Batman films a fair shake.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I think that was the good thing about the Dark Knight series, they weren't your cookie cutter super hero flicks. American Pyscho is fantastic though, definitely watch it.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think that was the good thing about the Dark Knight series, they weren't your cookie cutter super hero flicks. American Pyscho is fantastic though, definitely watch it.
:tup:

I'll have to give them a watch again, where I actually pay a little more attention to the films. I like the idea of the grittiness, and the "reality", well, at least a realism inherently lacking in most of the genre.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
@PostIronic

Seeing as you like the good stuff. I take you praise Fritz Lang just as much as i do? :D
I adore Fritz Lang! :D

From Harakiri to Die Nibelungen to Dr Mabuse to Metropolis to M to Hangmen Also Die to The Blue Gardenia to his Indian Epic. The man was a genius. I mean moving seamlessly from German Expressionism in the silent era to Noirs and Westerns... Beyond impressive.

I go through phases though and every couple years, a good marathon of Fritz Lang films seems to occur.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
I adore Fritz Lang! :D

From Harakiri to Die Nibelungen to Dr Mabuse to Metropolis to M to Hangmen Also Die to The Blue Gardenia to his Indian Epic. The man was a genius. I mean moving seamlessly from German Expressionism in the silent era to Noirs and Westerns... Beyond impressive.

I go through phases though and every couples years, a good marathon of Fritz Lang films seems to occur.
:D my man! I happen to be the same way. Fritz Lang deserves a marathon every 2 to 5 years.

Dr Mabuse is one of the scariest characters ever, he gives me nightmares to this day.

Fritz Lang was absolutely brilliant, a genius ahead of his time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 97)