Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (52 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:agree:

- - - Updated - - -

Watch the opposite of what your brother wants.
I'm not a fan of comedies myself. They are usually dull, just like horror movies.

Have you seen Only Lovers Left Alive yet. Perhaps not a film for everyone, but I thought it was brilliant.

And by the same director from years ago. Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai... If you haven't seen it. Awesome film.

I'll keep that in mind.

I'm prolly gonna watch Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro.

Buy on AliExpress.com

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
always pick a movie based on the director and you will be rarely disappointed. Gone Girl is really good.
Gone Girl is well worth a watch :tup:

The genre type is 'drama', but having seen it now I think the category of horror is more befitting :scared:
Watched it today, liked it but at the same time I couldn't stand how

naive was the plot after the return of Amy. I mean the police did everything to find her, followed every clue, were very eager to find some evidence that the husband killed her, but when she returned no questions were asked. No one asked why she left the diary in that place, no one checked if she was really pregnant (wtf?), no questions about the ridiculous amount of her blood in the kitchen and nobody checked the videos from Desi's house. Just too much plot holes which leads to a lousy ending.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I've heard that the sequel is brainless action.
Exactly that, which is why it's so disappointing that first one was even worse. The first one had the idea and the cast to potentially be a very good film and instead they made a meal of the script and production. It says something when a brainless action sequel is the better film. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Did you watch Miyazaki's Lupin III?
I have not seen it yet. Did you end up watching it today?

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
I can't take Kiefer Sutherland seriously after watching 24.

Gone Girl was very entertaining, but with plot holes as @Pioterr said.

Only Lovers Left Alive was a decent watch.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Watched it today, liked it but at the same time I couldn't stand how

naive was the plot after the return of Amy. I mean the police did everything to find her, followed every clue, were very eager to find some evidence that the husband killed her, but when she returned no questions were asked. No one asked why she left the diary in that place, no one checked if she was really pregnant (wtf?), no questions about the ridiculous amount of her blood in the kitchen and nobody checked the videos from Desi's house. Just too much plot holes which leads to a lousy ending.
Ya i get that, but the movie was long enough without them having to explain more.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Cool, let me know what you think.
I liked it, it's worth of watching. I like old school stuff, gets all nostalgic.

However imo it's not on the same level as How's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaä and Porco Rosso. Oh and I still believe Spirited Away, while being really good, is vastly overrated and I don't think it's his best work at all.

And not his work but I also liked Vampire Hunter D.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't take Kiefer Sutherland seriously after watching 24.

Gone Girl was very entertaining, but with plot holes as @Pioterr said.

Only Lovers Left Alive was a decent watch.
Have you seen The Secret in Their Eyes? I watched it recently and thought it's great.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, you seriously need to get laid brah. You sound so depressing these days. :p
But seriously, comedies suck badly. You can hardly find some good comedy. Horrors are even worse. :D

Oh and you're depressing too! :p

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Watched Prometheus for the 4th time last night and really can't understand the hate on this movie. Sure, it leaves many unanswered questions but so did Alien. Actually Alien has far more questions that 30 some years later we still don't know the answers to.

It also got mixed reviews on release and didn't become a classic til 2 decades later, which IMO, will happen to Prometheus in the future. There are several subliminal and symbolic messages in the movie that are supposed to make the viewer think or research. The problem with nowadays is that everyone wants everything explained to them, they don't take the time to come up with their own theories, to think outside the box. Remember 2001: A Space Odyssey? IMO the greatest masterpiece ever made and i'm absolutely certain that if that movie was to be released today, it'd fail miserably. This generation sucks really.

Ridley Scott really pulled a Kubrick on this one. And i'm really looking forward to Prometheus 2 where it's said some of the questions will finally be answered.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
I found 22 Jump Street quite entertaining and funny...the scene of Ice Cube Jonah Hill and Tatum was fucking hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing. There were other good parts too.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Iron Man 1, 2, 3 - First and last part were decent, second part was pretty crap. But overall decent at best.

The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin (documentary) - Pretty interesting but I guess that's just a professional deformation. Not for everyone I guess.

I watched The Tiger and the Snow from Roberto Benigni and it was solid and entertaining. After I watched The Monster and it was decent as well but nothing special.

Zerkalo - Pretty great movie. Tarkovsky's movies are really art and he's a guy to study without a doubt. Almost every minute of the movie can be interpreted differently and it's interesting how he structures problems. I loved the poem parts, pretty deep that was. Having it named Zerkalo/mirror was perfect as well.

Persona - Great movie. Now I also rate this one more than The Seventh Seal (I really didn't like it). Wild Strawberries was also better imo. With Persona he did everything beautiful and it was great seeing how nurse and the silent women blend into one. Two scenes that were most powerful were when the nurse took role of her wife and spoke with the husband and the ending which left quite a bit unspoken.

Sword of the Stranger (anime) - I thought it's very good while animations left me speechless. I loved how environment was made to look like paintings while fighting scenes were done incredibly well.

Like I said somewhere above I also watched Lupin III, which is a nice piece of action, pretty entertaining and positive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)